• Affiliate Disclosure: Booking.com is my favorite website for booking hotels (and yes, it’s the site I always use when reserving a room). It’s safe, easy to use, and consistently has great rates. All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation to the wonderful non-profit GiveDirectly. Read more about my charitable giving here.
The 7 Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
1. Gojo Guest House (Higashiyama) – Budget
Affordable, traditional ryokan-style accommodations featuring male and female-only dormitory rooms with tatami mats and shared bathrooms, located a 5-minute walk (350m) to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station and a 13-minute walk (900m) to the Sanneizaka shopping district. The property also has a cafe, communal kitchen, bicycle rentals, and breakfast available for a fee.
2. First Cabin Kyoto Karasuma – Budget
Modern capsule hotel located a 2-minute walk (180m) to Shijo Station and a 10-minute walk (800m) to Nishiki Market. Every efficient cabin includes a TV, safe, privacy curtain, single bed, and access to the shared bathrooms, and property amenities include a cafe, smoking room, lounge area, and coin-operated laundry facilities.
3. Len Kyoto Kawaramachi – Budget
Artsy, good-value hostel located a 6-minute walk (450m) from Kiyomizu-Gojo Station and within walking distance of shopping, dining, and historical sites. In addition to the on-site cafe, restaurant, and bar, the property offers private and dormitory-style rooms, all with shared bathrooms, a communal kitchen, and study spaces.
4. Mosaic Hostel Kyoto – Budget
Situated an 8-minute walk (600m) from Kyoto Station and within a short walk of a variety of restaurants and shops, this hostel features a range of accommodations, including Japanese and Western-style rooms, both private and dorm-style. All rooms use shared bathrooms, and property amenities include a rooftop terrace, bicycle rentals, restaurant, bar, shared kitchen, self-service laundry facilities, and lounge area.
5. The Palace Side Hotel – Budget
European-style, non-smoking hotel featuring a restaurant with a breakfast buffet, coin-operated laundry facilities, business center, shared kitchen, bicycle rentals, on-site parking, and rooms with refrigerators and private bathrooms. The hotel is located a 6-minute walk (400m) from Marutamachi Station and a 7-minute walk (550m) from the Kyoto Imperial Palace.
6. Japaning Hotel Higashiyama Sanjo – Budget
No-frills apartments situated a 3-minute walk (220m) from Higashiyama Station and a 9-minute walk (700m) from Yasaka Shrine. Each unit has a private bathroom, kitchenette with a gas stove, washing machine, and up to three beds.
7. Matsubaya Ryokan – Moderate
Traditional 19th-century accommodation with Japanese-style futon beds in some rooms, in addition to Western rooms, most with refrigerators and private bathrooms. The property is 5 minutes on foot (400m) to Shosei-en Garden, 9 minutes (650m) to Kyoto Tower, and 10 minutes (700m) to Kyoto Station, and offers on-site parking and breakfast for a fee.