In charming St. Germain-des-Prés, the heart of the Left Bank can be found at cozy L’Hôtel, the smallest 5-star in Paris. Its 20 bedrooms are chic, opulent, and full of history – the hotel dates to 1828, and the writer Oscar Wilde famously lived (and died) there. Reminders of his stay are found in his framed photos and letters displayed in the lobby, including his unpaid hotel tab. Wilde’s namesake suite is decked in ornately carved wood paneling, lush fabrics, marble-topped tables, brass lamps, and has the feel of a British gentleman’s club. The rest of the property’s rooms are distinctively elegant, and the penthouse apartment boasts rooftop views of the city. The hotel’s intimate restaurant is Michelin-starred, and down in the basement’s natural stone vaults, the beautifully candle-lit swimming pool can be reserved by the hour.
L’Hôtel – The Basics
- Location: Wonderful Left Bank location; just across the Seine from the Louvre Museum, amid the charming shops and restaurants of historic Saint-Germain-des-Prés.
- Ages: Children are welcome; those under 2 years stay free in a crib, and extra beds are available for €95/night (maximum 1 per room). Babysitting services can be arranged in advance with the concierge. There are no other special amenities or activities available for kids, however, and due to L’Hôtel’s intimate nature, I wouldn’t recommend it for families with small children. (See my favorite Paris hotels for families.)
- Pet Policy: Pets up to 20 pounds are allowed for an extra charge of €30 per pet, per night, plus an additional deposit of €30 per night.
- View: Nice city views from upper (5th and 6th) floors: Paris rooftops, Louvre, Sacre Coeur. Other rooms look out onto charming Rue des Meaux Arts or the hotel’s lovely interior courtyard.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Parking: No parking is available at the hotel.
- Nice Perks: Complimentary breakfast. Complimentary newspapers in lobby. Lavender-scented Spring bath amenities. In-room coffee and tea.
- Phone: +33 1 44 41 99 00
- Email: [email protected]
- When To Book: This is a boutique hotel with only 20 rooms; book months in advance, especially for high travel seasons of April to October, and December.
- How To Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
L’Hôtel – Amenities
- Pool: Small, subterranean grotto pool and steam room, available by appointment for private hourly (complimentary) rental. Open daily from 8am to 9.30pm.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
L’Hôtel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: L’Hôtel’s intimate Michelin-starred Le Restaurant serves French/European fine dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Closed Sunday and Monday for lunch and dinner; closed August.
- Lounge/Bar: The elegant and cozy bar is open daily until 1am.
- Breakfast: A continental breakfast is complimentary; served each morning between 7 and 10:30am in Le Restaurant.
- Room Service: Room service is available during restaurant hours.
L’Hôtel – Rooms
- Room Types: Mignon (standard, full bed, street view) • Bijoux (superior, king, courtyard view) • Grand (junior suite, king, street view) • Chic (deluxe double, king, courtyard view) • Oscar Wilde Suite (king, private terrace) • Apartment (king, private rooftop view terrace)• List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Non-smoking rooms available on request.
- Best Room: The rooftop apartment boasts 45 square meters of living space, and a private terrace that overlooks the rooftops of Paris and and the Saint-Germain-des-Prés bell tower.
L’Hôtel – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours & Tickets
- The Louvre – Skip-the-line-tickets and guided tour. 11-minute walk to meeting point.
- 3-hour Chocolate & Pastry Tour – A great Paris walking tour of the high-end pastry and chocolate shops in Saint Germain. 11-minute walk to meeting point.
- Paris 4-Hour Bike Tour – Half-day small group tour that explores hidden courtyards and ancient ruins in the Jewish Marais, Latin Quarter, and more. 11-minute walk to meeting point.
- Notre Dame – 1-hour guided tour of Gothic Notre Dame Cathedral. 19-minute walk to meeting point.
- GetYourGuide.com – The best website for booking tours and tickets in Paris.
- Le Relais de L’Entrecôte – Family-friendly, lively atmosphere, classic steak frites. 4-minute walk.
- Le Balto – Good value, family-run neighborhood bistro. 4-minute walk.
- Semilla – Modern French, ingredient-driven menu, easy-going ambiance. 5-minute walk.
- Alcazar – Trendy and lively spot with a garden-like interior and balcony bar for live music and dancing. 5-minute walk.
- Les Deux Magots – Historic hang-out of Hemingway and Sartre. Charming atmosphere, delicious croque monsieur. 5-minute walk.
- Café de Flore – Go there for the ambience and history (hangout of Picasso, Sartre, Hemingway, Capote, Camus, et al); the food is fine, but overpriced. 6-minute walk.
- Shu – Intimate underground restaurant seving excellent Japanese cuisine. 6-minute walk.
- Le Procope – Beautiful brasserie on a quaint cobbled street; the oldest restaurant in Paris. 7-minute walk.
- Ippudo Saint-Germain – Great ramen, reasonably priced. 7-minute walk.
- Volver – Argentinian steakhouse. For meat-lovers only. 8-minute walk.
- Desi Road – Unique Parisian take on Indian cuisine. Modern, fanciful decor. 8-minute walk.
- Maison Mulot – Excellent old-school Parisian patisserie and deli. 8-minute walk.
- Mariage Frère – World-famous tea house/shop with over 800 varieties to choose from – and excellent food, too. 9-minute walk.
- Ze Kitchen Gallerie – Classic French with Asian ingredients, modern décor with a friendly vibe. 9-minute walk.
- Chez le Libanais – Lebanese/Mediterranean fare with great shawarma. Mostly take-away, as there are few tables. 9-minute walk.
Nearby Bars & Breweries
- Prescription Cocktail Club – Great cocktails at this hole-in-the-wall speakeasyish spot. No sign on the door – look for no. 23. 4-minute walk.
- Freddy’s – Elegant wine/tapas bar the Rue de Seine. 5-minute walk.
- The Highlander – Two-story pub with 80 whiskies and classic Scottish ales and stouts. 7-minute walk.
- Le Cavern Club – Tiny underground dance club near Pont Neuf. 9-minute walk.
- L’Avant Comptoir – Casual wine bar with excellent small plates. 9-minute walk.
- Le Caveau de la Huchette – Classic underground jazz bar with excellent live music. 14-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Arnaud Larher – Amazing pastries and chocolates, almost too pretty to eat. 7-minute walk.
- Maison Bremond 1830 – Great source for foodie gifts, especially from the South of France. Artisanal French olive oils, olive wood bowls and regional food specialties. 9-minute walk.
- Maison Beaufrere – The most beautiful bouquets and flower arrangements in Paris. Inside the Marché Saint Germain. 8-minute walk.
- Maison du Whisky – Hundreds of whiskeys and fine spirits from around the world. 9-minute walk.
- Shakespeare & Company – Legendary English language bookstore that was a favorite of Hemmingway, Ginsburg and Burroughs. 15-minute walk.
- Patrick Roger – One of the best chocolate makers in France as well as a talented sculptor. His art gallery is upstairs. 11-minute walk.
- Marché aux Fleurs Reine Elizabeth II – Gorgeous flower market that becomes a bird market on Sundays. 16-minute walk.
- Le BHV – nearly everything under one roof; hardware store, onsite cooking school, top fashion brands, hip clothing and accessories. Multiple styles and price points. 22-minute walk.
- E. Dehillerin – Vast cookware selection; old school copper pans, professional grade knives, unique gifts. 17-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Rue de Buci – A Street chock full of a great variety of food vendors (meat, cheese, fruit, seafood, bread, vegetables), as well as patisseries, wine shops, and a supermarket. 5-minute walk.
- Marché St-Germain – Traditional street market with stalls selling quality fruit, vegetables, flowers, meat, and seafood. 9-minute walk.
- Citypharma – Pharmacy selling medications, first aid supplies, and French beauty products. 6-minute walk.
Nearby Attractions & Things to Do
- Church of St Germain-des-Prés – 4-minute walk.
- Pont des Arts – 5-minute walk.
- Boulevard St. Germain – 6-minute walk.
- The Louvre Museum – 8-minute walk.
- Place Dauphine – 10-minute walk.
- Luxembourg Gardens and Palace – 12-minute walk.
- Odéon Théâtre de l’Europe – 13-minute walk.
- Musée D’Orsay – 13-minute walk.
- Church of Sainte-Chapelle – 15-minute walk.
- Conciergerie – 15-minute walk.
- Cluny Museum – 15-minute walk.
- Île de la Cité – 16-minute walk.
- Crypte Archéologique – 16-minute walk.
- Jardin des Tuileries – 16-minute walk.
- Notre Dame Cathedral – 18-minute walk.
Paris Hotels – Tips and Recommendations
- Best Luxury Hotels in Paris: Shangri-La (old world Paris charm) • Four Seasons George V (five-star luxury)
- Best Boutique Hotels in Paris: Relais Christine (small romantic boutique) • Grand Hôtel Du Palais Royal (great central location)
- Best Mid-range Hotels in Paris: Gardette Park (affordable hotel near the Marais) • Hotel Emile (trendy, central, and fun)
- Paris Hotels with Balcony: Mandarin Oriental • Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel • Hotel WO • Hotel Residence Foch • Holiday Inn Paris Notre Dame • Hotel Ekta Champs Elysées • The Peninsula (the garden suite is incredible)
- Paris Hotels with Pool: Le Bristol • Mandarin Oriental • Le Burgundy • Saint James Albany • Shangri-La • The Peninsula • Four Seasons
- Paris Hotels with Kitchen: Fraser Suites Le Claridge Champs-Elysées • La Clef Tour Eiffel • Splendide Royal • Residence Henri IV • Saint James Albany • Citadines Les Halles Paris • Best Western Le Patio Saint Antoine • Le Marais – Hôtel De Ville
- Paris Hotels with Views of Eiffel Tower: Hotel Plaza Athenee Paris • Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel • Le Parisis • Hôtel Brighton • Shangri-La • Westin Vendôme