Home > La Sunila Suites Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
La Sunila Suites – Spacious and family-friendly, with 5-star facilities at 3-star rates in a riverside location.
Distant from the beachside crowds and relentless traffic, this hotel is just a short stroll from Baga River and two kilometers from Baga Beach. Taking up almost an entire suburban block, it offers rooms and suites more spacious than those costing far more in overbuilt Calangute. Each room is cannily designed to offer three windows, adding to the bright and cheery vibe. Standard rooms are large enough to feature microwaves and sofas which convert to single beds, while the suites have separate living/dining areas and kitchenettes. What’s more, the hotel offers the sort of family-friendly amenities expected at a much more expensive beachside resort: two pools (both with children’s areas), decent playground, and a sizable games room.
La Sunila Suites – The Location
- Address: Dr. Constancio Maschrans, River View, Arpora-Baga Road, Arpora. This won’t mean anything to any driver, so look for the turn-off about 1km from the Baga Bridge if coming from Calangute/Candolim. The hotel is 200m up a slight hill. The main road runs alongside Baga River (Creek) and is northeast of Baga Beach, which is the northern extension of the main tourist area of Calangute/Candolim in North Goa.
- Area: In a quiet residential area of upmarket housing and mid-range hotels. About 200m from the riverside road which is dotted with cafés, and 2km from Baga Beach.
- How to Get There: From the airport (40km, 75-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The bus station at Mapusa (for connections across Goa) is 9km away (20-minute drive). The nearest major train station is at Vasco da Gama (42km, 80-minute drive).
La Sunila Suites – The Basics
- Guests: Mix of Indian and foreign tourists of all ages. Many families.
- Views: The design ensures that each room has plenty of windows. Rooms either face the pools or the ‘mountain’ (just an empty hillside). Suites overlook the internal gardens.
- Kitchens: Suites feature kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzi: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of mid-range hotel along Baga River.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Nowhere on-site. Dedicated carpark opposite the hotel entrance, but security is not guaranteed.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 92256 78118
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: lasunila.com
La Sunila Suites – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, 2 pools. The one near the lobby is smaller and doesn’t receive much sunshine. The other at the back of the hotel grounds is larger and more inviting. Both feature separate and fenced areas for children, and a bar.
- Spa: Small, as expected, and offers only massages.
- Fitness Center: Unexpectedly large and well-equipped.
- For Families: Games room. Playground. 2 children’s pools.
La Sunila Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Judy’s Café (also called Aqua) is mainly for breakfast, but does serve lunch and dinner for guests in an undersized room. A bar is attached to both pools.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Lengthy choice available from about 7 am to 11 pm.
La Sunila Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Junior Suites • Suites • Presidential Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking may be allowed in some rooms and suites. Check when booking.
- Best Room: The Presidential Suites are as large as anything offered in a city 5-star hotel. Each features a bar, kitchenette, and separate living/dining area.
- For Families: The sofa in the rooms converts to an extra single bed, almost large enough for 2 small children. Suites feature separate living/dining areas which can accommodate 2 extra single beds. The Presidential Suites have 2 bedrooms.
La Sunila Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: Fabulous strolling experience along the residential streets near the hotel and the road alongside the river in both directions. A bridge 1km from the hotel crosses Baga River (Creek) and leads to Baga Beach, another 1km away.
- Public Transport: The very useful public buses that go along Candolim and Calangute don’t reach here. Also, no metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No auto-rickshaws or metered taxis. App-based rides, Uber and Ola, don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but the local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying. However, the only real options are unmetered private ‘taxis’. Rates are overpriced but negotiable. They hang about opposite the hotel.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize this at the resort. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
La Sunila Suites – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
These places are on the main road heading west alongside the river and within 600m of the hotel.
- Royal Simha Restaurant & Bar – Almost at the turn-off to the hotel. Simple, inexpensive, and friendly. 3-minute walk (300m).
- Sea Salt Restaurant & Bar – On both sides of the road for cheap beer, thalis (set meals in steel plates), and river views. 5-minute walk (400m).
- The Baga Brasserie – In the Karma Royal MonteRio resort. Classy and breezy setting, but not alongside the river. First-class service and the sort of meals expected at a top-end hotel. 6-minute walk (450m).
- Raddish Bar & Restaurant +91 73505 51115 – Expat-owned and the finest in the area for river views, service, and meals. 7-minute walk (550m).
- Royal Enfield Garage Café – Inviting bistro but more of a museum and shop dedicated to the iconic motorbikes. Popular for trendy music, western food, and cocktails. 8-minute walk (650m).
- Meiphung Northeast Bar and Resto +91 95613 12044 – Casual and authentic Thai, next to the Royal Enfield. 8-minute walk (650m).
- A few minimarts and souvenir stalls along the riverside road, but nothing else.
La Sunila Suites – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Fortune Acron Regina
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai