La Woods – Quiet, convenient, and inexpensive, with rooms as spacious as some five-star hotels.
La Woods serves a distinct purpose for anyone seeking a cheap hotel without a pool, gym, or opulent lobby with dangling chandeliers – and the low rates reflect this. Instead, guests can enjoy rooms larger than those regularly offered by hotels with much higher ratings. What’s more, a substantial breakfast is included and the staff is particularly helpful. It’s conveniently a short walk from a metro station (with direct links to the airport, bus/train stations, and downtown) and a fabulous mall (with a games arcade, cinema, and numerous places to eat).
La Woods – The Location
- Address: 1 Woods Road, just off a major thoroughfare, Anna Salai (Mount Road), in the inner southern suburbs.
- Nearest Metro: LIC metro station is just 400m from the hotel.
- Area: About 50m from the main road, which has a few facilities. Faces the comparatively quieter Woods Road, which is lined with shops and restaurants for local workers and residents. Busy area with a lot of roadwork and construction as it becomes more developed. Less than 500m from the excellent Express Avenue mall (see below).
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45 minutes (15 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
La Woods – The Basics
- Guests: Interesting mix of business people and tourists from across India and elsewhere.
- Views: Rooms either face the main road at a distance (but may still suffer from traffic noise) or the back of other buildings (and are, therefore, quieter).
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of budget-priced inner-city hotel.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2860 8040
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: lawoodshotel.com
La Woods – Amenities
- Pool & Fitness Center: Certainly not expected (or provided).
- Spa: Massages using traditional techniques can be arranged in the hotel through the reception.
La Woods – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Elwood is a rather posh name for the modest café on the ground floor. Hearty serves at pleasing prices all day, often using ingredients grown on the rooftop. Meals can also be served at The Bar (on the 3rd floor), which is dark, but offers well-priced drinks.
- Breakfast: Decent breakfast included, but more Indian-style than western.
- Room Service: Available from 7 am to 9 pm.
La Woods – Rooms
- Room Types: King Size Rooms • Twin Bed Rooms • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Strictly no smoking anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: Rooms are fairly similar inside, so the best is the quietest, i.e. on an upper floor and back from the roads.
- For Families: Little space in the rooms for an extra single bed, but the inexpensive rates make booking 2 adjoining rooms affordable, though they won’t have connecting doors.
La Woods – Local Transport
- Walking: Pleasant area to explore with sidewalks. Vibrant area, if a little chaotic, and fabulous mall less than 500m away.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – LIC – is about 400m from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
La Woods – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
A few cheap cafés and restaurants along Woods Road, but better options elsewhere.
- Taj Club House – This modern hotel offers a number of classy options including: Club House (open 24 hours for contemporary Asian cuisine, including buffets and live music on most nights), Kefi (on the rooftop, featuring Mediterranean cuisine and stylish Greek-themed décor), and Blend (bar/lounge, which turns into a nightclub on weekends). Use the side entrance to the Taj hotel 100m down the road from the La Woods.
- Hotel Sennthur – Quick, tasty, and affordable vegetarian food. On the corner with the traffic lights only 200m down the main road from the hotel.
- Most guests will probably head to the fantastic Express Avenue mall (see below). It offers familiar outlets, such as Subway, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Starbucks, as well as numerous atractive cafés and restaurants, such as Chili’s American Grill and Cafe Coffee Day. And the food court is huge.
- A bonus is that La Woods is less than 500m from the world-class Express Avenue mall. Simply head down Woods Road, past the side entrance to the Taj Club House hotel. Huge range of bistros and boutiques over 5 levels, as well as one of India’s largest games arcades and a cinema complex that shows western films, too. Also, a few handicraft stores along the main road, just around the corner from La Woods.
La Woods – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Crowne Plaza Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai
- Hyatt Regency
- Novotel Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu City Centre
- Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai