Laika Boutique Stay – Adorable and affordable guesthouse in the quietest part of the inner city.
The family-run Laika is along a dead-end lane stretching from a dead-end street, so it’s exceptionally quiet. It’s still close to Richmond Road, a major thoroughfare, and a short walk from M.G. Road, which has a mall, metro station, and numerous cafés. The handful of spacious rooms are spread across two floors of a residential building surrounded by shady trees. As expected, rooms are unfussy, but the furniture has been carefully chosen to represent neighboring states of Kerala and Goa. With air-con, Wi-Fi, cable TV, and a hearty breakfast included, the Laika also offers the sort of friendliness, seclusion, and serenity sorely lacking elsewhere – at very attractive rates.
Laika Boutique Stay – The Location
- Address: About 50m along an unnamed lane from Rathna Avenue, which comes off Richmond (General KS Thimayya) Road. If coming from the west (as most would be), it’s 350m past the ITC Welcome Hotel. Take the second road left after that major hotel. Look for signposts at both corners.
- Nearest Metro: Trinity metro station is just 500m from the hotel via a shortcut.
- Area: Very quiet and shady residential area in the inner city, but there a few indications that the streets nearby are becoming built-up. Easy walk to transport options and cafés along M.G. Road.
- How to Get There: From the airport (40 km), take a metered taxi or arrange a pick-up with Uber or Ola (see below). Just as quick, and far cheaper, are the comfortable blue express buses (24 hours) that stop along M.G. Road. About 7 km from the Bengaluru City (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) railway terminal and adjoining Majestic (Kempegowda) bus station.
- Handy to: 1MG-Lido Mall.
Laika Boutique Stay – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly budget-minded foreign tourists who welcome the rates, seclusion, and convenience.
- Views: Rooms to the front face a shady lane. Those to the back overlook an office carpark which isn’t too noisy.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this budget-priced guesthouse.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)94828 06630
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: laikabangalore.in
Laika Boutique Stay – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: This sort of inner-city, budget-priced guesthouse would not be expected to provide any of these facilities.
- Other Facilities: Guest lounges. Book exchange/library. Cooking classes available. Laundry.
Laika Boutique Stay – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No café or bar on-site, as is expected at this sort of guesthouse. Breakfast is served in the family home’s dining room.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates, and served at the rather leisurely time of 8.30 am.
- Room Service: Not provided because there is no café onsite.
Laika Boutique Stay – Rooms
- Room Types: All rooms are the same and simply called Standard Rooms.
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms, but OK on the communal balcony.
- Best Room: All rooms are basically the same. Best are those on the upper level and distant from the guest lounge-cum-dining room on the ground floor, and facing the front for better views.
- For Families: All rooms can easily accommodate families of 4.
Laika Boutique Stay – Local Transport
- Walking: The few backstreets around the guesthouse are pleasant for walking; less so the main roads nearby. Enough shops and cafés along the eastern end of M.G. Road (see below for directions).
- Public Transport: The Namma (Bengaluru) Metro has limited services but does go to the main bus and train stations. The nearest station – Trinity – is about 500m from the hotel. (Look for the shortcut.)
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Very few taxis along the main road, so one is best arranged through the guesthouse. Otherwise, Uber and Ola are very common. For most trips around the city, auto-rickshaws are good enough, but drivers won’t use meters, so bargain hard.
Laika Boutique Stay – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
These places are along M.G. Road.
- Pizza Hut – This familiar outlet is in the same building as a Starbucks. (400m).
- Chianti Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar +91 (0)80 4375 5274 – Also in the same building as Pizza Hut, it offers an extended menu of food and wine in an authentic setting. (400m).
- Taj MG Road – Just north up the junction with the flyover, this refurbished hotel offers: The Trinity Square (excellent meals and extensive buffets), Memories of China (authentic and popular), and ICE (trendy bar for cocktails and snacks). (600m).
- The Oberoi – This opulent hotel is on the other side of M.G. Road from Starbucks, and next to the Taj. (Use the metro underpass.) It offers: The Orchid Room (elegant setting and silver service), Rim Naam (lovely garden position and award-winning Thai menu), and The Polo Club (adorable colonial-style bar/lounge/café). The Oberoi is worth visiting just to explore the amazing gardens. (700m).
- Mamma Mexicana – One of several restaurants on the top floor of the 1MG-Lido Mall (see below). Long menu, fun décor, and well-priced. (700m).
- Tandoor Restaurant +91 (0)80 2559 6961 – Old-fashioned (almost outdated) décor, but tasty food. Lunchtime specials. (1 km).
- Rathna Avenue (which the guesthouse is virtually along) does not continue to M.G. Road, which has a mall, shops, and cafés. So, head to Richmond (General KS Thimayya) Road (at the end of Rathna Avenue), turn left, and left again at Midford Garden Road. About 400m from the guesthouse is the corner on M.G. Road with a Starbucks. This section of M.G. Road seems to be full of banks (none of which change money), although there are a few handicraft stores.
- The finest shopping is at 1MG-Lido Mall, just north up from the major junction with the flyover, which is almost opposite Starbucks. The mall is home to a games arcade, several great restaurants (including familiar fast-food outlets), and a wonderful Foodhall outlet selling fresh and imported produce. The mall is open from 10 am to 10 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 10 pm weekends. (700m).
Laika Boutique Stay – The Hotel
All Bengaluru Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai