The Leela Palace – One of the city’s finest: packed with charm and tradition, yet modern and new.
Even though it looks and feels like a colonial-era hotel, the Leela is actually only a few years old. The lavish lobby leads to some gardens (a rarity in a Delhi hotel), and the ground floor features several elegant restaurants and tea lounges. All accommodations are spacious, and even the lowest-category rooms are larger than most of the best rooms at rival hotels. All are lovingly decorated with twirling bed-stands, plush rugs, prints of Indian kings, and marble bathrooms, and with no other high-rises nearby, most views are excellent. And a standout feature is the rooftop pool with infinity edges. The surrounding area is reasonably quiet and comparatively clean and safe, though a little isolated.
The Leela Palace – The Location
- Address: Africa Avenue, Chanakyapuri, in the southern suburbs.
- Nearest Metro: Sarojini Nagar metro station is about 1.5 km away.
- Area: In an area of wide and shady streets within the southern part of the city often called ‘Diplomatic Enclave’ because of the numerous embassies nearby.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Sarojini Nagar station (1.5 km from the hotel). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 35 minutes (15 km).
The Leela Palace – The Basics
- Guests: Equally split between upmarket tourists, high-end business people, and government officials.
- Views: The hotel is high, with nothing else blocking views of the leafy streets and gardens around New Delhi. Some rooms face the internal courtyard gardens, though views from all rooms are excellent.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Almost unique within Delhi hotels, 3 categories of suites feature private plunge pools, some with jacuzzis attached.
- Extras: Guests of the Royal Club rooms get free airport transfers, access to the Club Lounge, and 24-hour butler service.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 3933 1234
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: theleela.com
The Leela Palace – Amenities
- Pool: On the rooftop and stunning. With infinity edges, bar, and vast views across the city. Can be heated for the winter.
- Spa: ESPA provides a fascinating number of treatments fusing modern needs with ancient methods. Also features a steam room and sauna.
- Fitness Center: Adjoining the spa, the gym contains all the latest gear.
- For Families: Cots. Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Business Center.
The Leela Palace – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Qube – Angular and covered with glass, it does resemble a cube. Open all day, serving buffets at breakfast and lunch. Casual, award-winning, and extra-long wine list. • Le Cirque – Gourmet Italian and French with New York-style vibe. Terrace seats and expansive views from the 10th floor. Dinner only and live jazz most nights. • Megu – Contemporary Japanese offering far more than just sushi. Terrace for cocktails. Open for lunch and dinner. • Jamavar – Fabulous Indian cuisine from across the country in a regal setting. Dinner only. • Spa Cafe – Indulge in a healthy snack or drink inside the spa. • The Lobby Lounge – For a quick coffee or long chat. Popular for traditional High Teas every afternoon.
- Bars: The Library – Intimate, with low lights and velvet sofas. Finger food, international spirits, and signature cocktails. • The Royal Club & Lounge – Only accessible to guests from certain rooms. • Pool Bar – On the rooftop alongside the stunning pool.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24/7, and some suites have access to a butler at any time.
The Leela Palace – Rooms
- Room Types: Grande Deluxe Rooms • Premiere Rooms • Grande Premiere Rooms • Royal Premier Rooms • Royal Club Rooms • Royal Club Parlours • Executive Suites • Luxury Suites • Grande Suites with Plunge Pool • Royal Suites with Plunge Pool • Maharaja Suites • Presidential Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Some rooms allow smoking. Check with the management.
- Best Room: About 10 times larger than the standard rooms, the Presidential Suites are so opulent. Packed with colonial furniture, they also feature private gyms, 2 living rooms, jacuzzis, and 24-hour butler service. Very private and exceptionally secluded.
- For Families: An extra single bed can be squeezed into all rooms and suites, and a few have connecting doors. Surprisingly, no suites have 2 bedrooms or are set up for families.
The Leela Palace – Local Transport
- Walking: Almost nothing worthwhile within walking distance. The backstreets are comparatively quiet, clean, and safe, but little to see.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is Sarojini Nagar, 1.5 km from the hotel.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Best organized through the hotel. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
The Leela Palace – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Nothing of any interest to locals, let alone tourists, within walking distance. So take a taxi, auto-rickshaw, or the metro to these places.
- Hyatt Regency – This swish hotel 2 km further south has La Piazza (award-winning Italian food, with authentic décor and extended wine list), T.K’s Oriental Grill (Japanese teppanyaki and Mongolian barbeques in a swanky setting), and The China Kitchen (contemporary Chinese and bar).
Connaught Place (see below) offers many terrific places, such as:
- Chili’s – Appealing corner position. Always popular for pasta and grills. (9 km).
- Ministry of Beer – Hip meeting spot for all sorts of ales and pub-style meals. (10 km).
- The Imperial Spice – Classy décor, classic Indian food, and attentive service. (10 km).
- Brioche Dorée – European-style patisserie and café on 2 floors. Always popular for pastries, coffee, and light meals. 100% vegetarian. (10 km).
- Nothing within walking distance, so get a taxi, auto-rickshaw, or the metro to Connaught Place (9 km). Don’t be put off by the incessant traffic and noise of the (one-way) outer ring road. Stroll among the endless places to eat, drink, and shop within the inner streets, and relax at Central Park, in the middle of the circle.
The Leela Palace – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Andaz Aerocity
- B Nineteen
- Holiday Inn International Airport
- Hyatt Regency
- Ibis Aerocity
- The Imperial
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT
- Le Méridien
- Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- Lemon Tree Premier, Airport
- The Lodhi
- The Oberoi
- Pride Plaza Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Connaught Place
- Shangri-La Eros
- Taj Mahal
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai