Lloyd Hotel – A hip design hotel out on the Eastern Islands.
Formerly a hostel for impoverished, America-bound migrants, then a prison, Lloyd Hotel has been transformed into a bohemian hangout and design hotel out on the reclaimed land of Amsterdam’s Eastern Islands. Its hundred and seventeen rooms have been uniquely styled by renowned Dutch designers such as Gerrit Rietveld, and the common spaces with their high ceilings and tiled floors come with welcome splashes of color, courtesy of local artists. Rooms are graded and priced from one to five stars, with one and two-star rooms a particular bargain for budget travelers. Some rooms have open-plan bathrooms, which is either a boon or a bane, depending on how shy you are. The service is friendly and helpful, and since the hotel is popular with artists and performers, there is usually an onsite exhibition going on.
Lloyd Hotel – Location
- Area: Located on a somewhat busy main street out on the Eastern Islands, a block away from the IJhaven waterway. It’s good for checking out the reclaimed land and quirky architecture, and walkable to one of Amsterdam’s most celebrated breweries, Brouwerij ‘t IJ, but a bit of a trek from most attractions. Centraal Station is 10 minutes by tram (2.5 km); the Museum Quarter and Southern Canal Ring are around 20 minutes by tram (5 km).
- Address: Oostelijke Handelskade 34.
- Nearest Transport: Tram – Rietlandpark (200m), Bus – C. van Eesterenlaan (200m).
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then tram #26 to the Rietlandpark stop. Lloyd Hotel is a short 3-minute walk (200m) from there.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €50 from Schiphol Airport – but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
- Handy to: Eastern Islands, Brouwerij ‘t IJ.
Lloyd Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel attracts an eclectic mix of travelers on a city break, local artistic types, business travelers, and many return guests. Families are welcome.
- View: Front-facing rooms look out over the IJ waterway; views are best from the higher floors. Other rooms come with city views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Parking: Available onsite for €25 per day.
- Extras: The numerous exhibition spaces inside the hotel double as chill-out spots and recreation rooms when there’s no exhibition on.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +31-(0)20-561-3607
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: lloyd.nl
Lloyd Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Several 3-star rooms adapted for disabled guests.
- For Families: Classic and superior rooms plus suites can all accommodate extra beds (€35 per bed, half-price for children under 12). Cots for children under 2 provided free of charge.
- Activities: Regular art and design exhibitions held inside the hotel.
Lloyd Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Lloyd Restaurant (7am-midnight) is a popular local gathering spot for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Menu is classic European, with sustainably sourced meat and fish, and mostly organic vegetables. $$.
- Lounge/Bar: There’s a sunny terrace on the south side of the hotel that’s a popular neighborhood spot for after-work drinks and sunset cocktails.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. An extensive breakfast buffet is served from 7am to 10.30am on weekdays, and 7.30am to 11am on weekends; €17.50 per person. Eggs made to order cost extra.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service.
Lloyd Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Budget Twin • Economy Double • Comfort Double • Superior Double • Suite • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Lloyd Hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The loft suite with a swing and bathtub in the middle of the room is particularly romantic. Other guests may prefer the suite with an enormous mezzanine bed overlooking the grand piano below.
- For Families: No family rooms per se, but the Comfort/Superior rooms and Suites can all accommodate extra beds and cots.
Lloyd Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Easy walk from cafes and bars along the Veemkade waterfront, as well as the restaurants and shops along nearby Czaar Peterstraat. Walklable to the Brouwerij ‘t IJ, Artis Royal Zoo, Kromhout Wharf Museum, the revamped Entrepotdok warehouses, and the Dutch Resistance Museum.
- Tram/Metro: From the nearby Rietlandpark stop, tram #26 runs west to Centraal Station, while tram #10 runs southwest, past Artis Royal Zoo, to the Southern Canal Ring, and busy Leidseplein and its nightlife – a 7-minute walk (500m) from the Museum Quarter.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Lloyd Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants and Cafes
- Anne & Max – Organic coffees and teas, healthy breakfasts, chunky sandwiches, and hearty soups; many vegetarian options. Right opposite the hotel.
- Puerto Pata Negra – Waterfront bar specializing in classic Spanish tapas paired with an extensive list of Spanish wines. Opposite the hotel.
- Bagels & Beans – Reliable all-day bagel and coffee chain, with an emphasis on organic ingredients. (700m).
- Instock – Innovative eco-minded restaurant that makes terrific use of surplus ingredients (blemished veggies, crooked fish, etc.). Eclectic menu includes fish burritos and salad Nicoise for lunch, and more substantial Russian mains for dinner. Evening reservations recommended. (1 km).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Brouwerij ‘t IJ – Award-winning craft beer brewery next to the historic de Gooyer windmill. Eight standard beers on tap, plus seasonal beers and limited edition IPAs. Large outdoor terrace overlooking the water. (1.5 km).
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
Lloyd Hotel – The Hotel
- All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids