SD › Paris › Hotels › Maison Souquet Review
Updated: April 12, 2022
• Location: Trendy South Pigalle at the edge of charming Montmartre, with the Moulin Rouge just around the corner.
• Hotel website: maisonsouquet.com
• Hotel phone: +33 1 4878 5555
• Check prices for Maison Souquet
Maison Souquet – Former bordello turned intimate and sassy boutique hotel.
A lux and edgy space in Paris’ most up-and-coming area, South Pigalle. Guests are treated to an intimate experience – granted a personal butler, lavish individualized room decor, and a private key for the gorgeous cobalt blue (and celestial-ceilinged) swimming pool. Steps from the Moulin Rouge, this lavish brothel-turned-boutique-hotel’s twenty guest rooms are named after famous courtesans and each exudes a unique and decadent luxury replete with sumptuous details such as peacock feather walls and headboards. In the hotel’s salons, a speakeasy-like hidden bar is lavishly decorated with velvet banquettes and a huge cast iron fireplace.
Maison Souquet – Location
In trendy South Pigalle at the edge of charming Montmartre. Surrounded by great bars and restaurants, with Moulin Rouge just around the corner, but tucked away on a relatively quiet side street.
- Address: 10 rue de Bruxelles
- Nearest Metro/Subway: Blanche and Place de Clichy.
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Paris are charged at a flat rate. Fare from Charles de Gaulle Airport is €55, fare from Orly Airport is €35.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €61 from CDG and €57 from Orly, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
Maison Souquet – The Basics
- Ages: Families with children are welcome but this hotel is definitely geared towards romantic, grown-up stays.
- Pet Policy: No pets are allowed.
- View: Rooms either look out onto the street, or into the interior courtyard.
- Parking: There is no parking at the hotel but public parking can be found nearby.
- Nice Perks: Personal butler service. Hermès bath amenities.
- When to Book: Maison Souquet is a small hotel and rooms sell out quickly. Book well in advance (2-3 months), especially for the high travel seasons of April to October and December.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +33 1 4878 5555
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: maisonsouquet.com
Maison Souquet – Amenities
- Pool: A beautiful and private 10m swimming pool, set beneath a celestially-decorated ceiling, is available (complimentary) for guests by request.
- Spa: In addition to the pool, the hotel spa features a private steam room and treatment room; all are available to guests by request. Massage, facials, mani/pedicures, makeup, and hair dressing are offered.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- For Disabled Guests: Rooms designed with mobility issues in mind are available.
- For Families: Baby cots are complimentary but due to the intimate nature of this hotel and suggestive courtesan theme, it may not be the best option for families with children.
- Activities: The hotel can help arrange just about anything, including specialized tours.
- Other Facilities: The 3 connecting salons and outdoor garden patio on the ground floor are sumptuous places for a drink, reading a rare book from the library, or playing an antiquarian game.
Maison Souquet – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: No restaurant.
- Lounge/Bar: Cocktails, light lunch, and dinner are offered in the hotel’s sumptuous red velvet salon. The main bar area is where (after moving from the first entry lounge) men would come in to meet and mingle with the courtesans. The décor has stayed true to form with round couches, nude paintings, and food and drink to get you in the mood – from signature cocktails to caviar.
- Breakfast: Included in the room rate, breakfast is available from 7-11 am in the hotel’s winter garden (interior courtyard), or served in-room.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service.
Maison Souquet – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe • Junior Suite • 2-bedroom Suite • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Guest rooms are non-smoking.
- Best Room: Each of the hotel’s two 2-bedroom suites, La Païva and Liane de Pougy, come with 2 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, and luxurious bathrooms that feature both a bathtub and walk-in shower.
Maison Souquet – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Tifinagh – Traditional French bistro with an excellent (and affordable) 3-course meal option.
- Café des Deux Moulins – Corner cafe/bar made famous by the Movie Amelie. Nice for breakfast.
- À La Cloche d’Or – Traditional French in a Provincial-style interior, historically (and still) a post-show dinner spot for artists and musicians performing nearby.
- Les Apôtres de Pigalle – Small but incredible restaurant featuring tapas that blend French with Mexican and South American flavors. Reservations recommended.
- La Villa des Abbesses – Black and dark wood décor with red curtains makes this classic French bistro feel a bit Belle Epoch.
- La Mascotte – French brasserie specializing in seafood, with Art Deco interiors and sidewalk terrace seating.
- Le Grenier a Pain – Fantastic bakery well-known for their award-winning baguettes. Great stop for sandwiches and sweet baked goods as well.
- Le Sancerre – Great, classic French café restaurant for breakfast or a quick afternoon bite.
- Luz Verde – Mexican gastropub with excellent tacos and margaritas.
- Buvette Gastrothèque – Classic French with a modern twist, buzzy but cozy vibe, hip interior.
- La Pantruchoise – Good value, classic French, friendly neighborhood feel.
- Le Coryllis – Charming neighborhood Italian spot on a small side street near Sacré Coeur.
- Relais de la Butte – Lovely spot with ancient stone walls and tables spilling out over a large patio area off the sidewalk. Nice for a coffee or their specialty escalope of veal.
- Pizza di Loretta – Roman-style, pay-by-the-pound pan pizza goodness.
Best Nearby Cafe
- Le Pain Quotidien – Simple and fresh pastries, toast with toppings, fruit salad, and great coffee.
Best Nearby Bars & Breweries
- Brussels Beer Project – Belgian beer tap room.
- La Machine du Moulin Rouge – Large and very popular dance club connected to the iconic cabaret.
- Le Boucan – Fun and laid-back neighborhood bar, friendly staff.
- Wall Street Pigalle – Concept bar in which drink prices, displayed on a screen, change every 100 seconds, like Wall Street stocks. Also serves tapas.
- The Harp Bar – Classic Irish sports pub, reasonabe prices.
- Baton Rouge – Cozy and convivial atmosphere for classic and creative cocktails.
- Dirty Dick – Tiki bar with strong drinks; a fun place to start a night out.
- Les Justes – Sophisticated, but not stuffy, with well-crafted cocktails.
- La Butte Fromagère – Excellent cheese shop.
- Le Rocketship – Funky shop for home goods, art books, and posters. Also has a cafe.
- Pois Plume – Super sweet toy and baby/maternity clothing shop.
- Pain Pain – Corner patisserie with excellent pain au chocolat.
- Sebastian Gaudard – Patisserie and master chocolatier.
- Käramell – Fun and colorful candy shop and Scandinavian home goods store.
- La Chambre aux Confitures – Hundreds of jams, honeys, caramel, and chocolate sauces – and you can try it all.
- Maison Le Roux – Gourmet chocolates and caramels.
- Galeries Lafayette Haussman – Huge and beautiful department store. Designer clothing, perfumes, toys, restaurants, and more.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Causses – Fresh fruit, cheese, meats, bread, and snacks; great place to stock up for a picnic.
- Bio c’ Bon – Organic supermarket with fresh fruit and vegetables, bread, cheese, dairy products.
- Au Verger des Abbesses – Fresh fruit, vegetables, and snacks.
- Carrefour Market – Standard supermarket with a good selection and decent prices.
Nearby Attractions & Things to Do
- Moulin Rouge – Paris’s most historically famous cabaret is still a circus of cancan kicks and outrageous costumes, even if the crowd is less Toulouse-Lautrec and more tour-bus kind.
- Musée de la Vie Romantique – Housed in the home where George Sand and Ary Scheffer once lived, this museum re-creates another very romantic era in Paris.
- Place Pigalle – Public square with lots of history, painter studios, red light districts, shops, bars, cafés, and karaoke places.
- La Cigale Concert Hall – A historic landmark re-decorated in the 1980s by Philippe Starck. Come here for big-name live music acts.
- Montmartre Cemetery – Lovely cemetery where Alexandre Dumas, Degas, Émile Zola, and many others are buried.
- Wall of Love – A monument to amore, “I love you” is written on this wall in 250 languages.
- Dali Paris – Don’t miss this if you’re a Dali fan – over 300 works are displayed here.
- Sacré-Coeur – One of Paris’ top sights, the views from this beauty are incredible especially if you climb the 300 steps to the top.
- Opéra Garnier – A grand 19th-century opera theater hosting regular ballet, opera, and chamber music performances, as well as exhibitions and guided tours.
Maison Souquet – The Hotel
Paris Hotels – Tips and Recommendations
- Best Luxury Hotels in Paris: Shangri-La (old world Paris charm) • Four Seasons George V (5-star luxury)
- Best Boutique Hotels in Paris: Relais Christine (small romantic boutique) • Grand Hôtel Du Palais Royal (great central location)
- Best Mid-range Hotels in Paris: Gardette Park (affordable hotel near the Marais) • Hotel Emile (trendy, central, and fun)
- Paris Hotels with Balcony: Mandarin Oriental • Pullman Tour Eiffel • Le 12 • Hotel Residence Foch • Holiday Inn Notre Dame • Hotel Ekta Champs Elysées • The Peninsula (the garden suite is incredible)
- Paris Hotels with Pool: Le Bristol • Mandarin Oriental • Le Burgundy • Saint James Albany • Shangri-La • The Peninsula • Four Seasons
- Paris Hotels with Kitchen: Fraser Suites Le Claridge Champs-Elysées • La Clef Tour Eiffel • Splendide Royal • Residence Henri IV • Saint James Albany • Citadines Les Halles • Le Patio Bastille • Le Marais Hôtel De Ville
- Paris Hotels with Views of Eiffel Tower: Hotel Plaza Athenee • Pullman Tour Eiffel • Le Parisis • Hôtel Brighton • Shangri-La • Westin Vendôme
- Paris Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Paris
- Best Hotels in Paris for Families
- Best Boutique Hotels in Paris
- Best Cheap Hotels in Paris
- Paris Choice Hotels
- Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotels
- Paris Hotels with Swimming Pools
- Where to Stay in Paris
- Paris Hotel Map
- Paris Hotel Reviews
- Best Time to Visit Paris
- Best Things to Do in Paris
- Best Restaurants in Paris
- Best Bars in Paris
- Best Shops & Markets in Paris
- Best Patisseries & Chocolatiers
- Paris with Kids
- Best Books about Paris
- Visiting Versailles from Paris
- London to Paris by Eurostar Train
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter