Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – Opulence and luxury in an ultra-modern resort.
Opened in 2015, with an entrance resembling a Mayan temple from Central America, the resort offers state-of-the-art facilities, though there is nothing even remotely Asian about this place. It’s in a prime location surrounded by classy shops and cafés, in a narrow property stretching from the main street to the beach. Rooms are spacious and cheerful with contemporary and tasteful design, while the suites with private pools are even chicer. All rooms face the ‘lagoon’ (i.e. pool), and those at ground level have direct access from wooden patios. The beach is decent, and the second beachfront family pool is gorgeous.
- Best Hotels in Bali
- Best Bali Hotels for Families
- Best Budget Hotels in Bali
- Where to Stay in Bali
- Bali Hotel Map
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – The Location
- Area: Between the beach and main street. Pleasant area midway along Sanur, with plenty of facilities in both directions.
- Address: Jl. Danau Tamblingan 89M, the main road through Sanur, a more relaxed resort region in southern Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (14 km), depending on traffic.
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Guests: Children not discouraged, but the chic design seems to attract couples, with many under 40.
- Beach: Narrower and less shady than other beaches in Sanur, but decent enough.
- Views: No rooms offer sea views. Almost all face the gardens or ‘lagoon’ (which is the pool), but a few overlook a neighboring resort. Suites have beach frontage but offer no direct views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Most rooms on the ground floor have access to the main pool via patios. Beachfront Pool Suites feature private pools.
- Extras: Free morning yoga classes.
- Parking: A few free and secure parking spots inside the gate, but let the management know, and think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 849 7800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: mayaresorts.com
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pools: Extended, lagoon-shaped pool alongside the buildings housing the rooms. Another separate Family Pool faces the beach.
- Spa: All sorts of indulgent treatments available at the Spa at Maya.
- Fitness Center: Very well-equipped and personal trainers available.
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Reef – Swish, featuring tables inside and gazebos that almost ‘float’ in the pool. Breakfast and all-day dining for pizzas, burgers, and salads. Open-plan kitchen, separate vegetarian menu, and themed buffets some nights. • Graze – Stylish eatery along the street. More interesting menu than most, with a focus on fresh ingredients. Also, coffee, sandwiches, and home-baked pastries.
- Breakfast: Not normally included, but this depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available from about 6 am to 11 pm daily.
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Garden View Room • Deluxe Lagoon View Room • Deluxe Lagoon Access Room • Beachfront Pool Suite • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not permitted in the rooms, but okay elsewhere.
- Best Room: The swanky and spacious Beachfront Pool Suites feature all the latest equipment, marble bathrooms, and private pools longer than most.
- For Families: All rooms can fit in 1 extra single bed, and many have connecting doors.
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walking around Sanur is more pleasant than in most places in southern Bali. With flat roads and minimal traffic, cycling is also popular, and bikes can be rented from agencies on the main street. Walking and cycling are ideal along the beachside path that stretches over 6 km, almost the entire length of Sanur.
- Public Transport: Sanur is unique within southern Bali as local bemos (decrepit minivans with bench seats) ply the main street, but won’t go further north than the golf course. Fares are set but invariably inflated for tourists.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but renting a car is possible at agencies all over Sanur. Motorbikes are also easy to rent and useful for getting around Sanur – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali. Taxis are plentiful, cheap, and comfortable, and the best way to go anywhere in southern Bali. For longer trips, charter a car with a driver. This can be arranged at any travel agency or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach any town outside of southern Bali and one that is popular with tourists (e.g. Ubud), buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but services for Perama, the only island-wide operator, leave from its inconvenient office on Jalan Hang Tuah on the other side of the golf course in northern Sanur. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Sanur with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
Maya Sanur Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
All places listed below are along the main street.
- Ulu Thai Food Sanur – Funky décor (with several dangling lights). Specializing in Thai food. 60m north.
- White Orchid – Just past Ulu. Healthy Asian cuisine, good-value specials, shady deck, and smart service.
- Warung Becak – Recognizable by the namesake becak (old-style rickshaw). Popular for live music, salads, and steak. Also claims to be a ‘mango bar’. 60m south.
- Café Batu Jimbar – Long-time favorite for gelato, salads, and outdoor Sunday buffet/market. About 200m north of the resort entrance.
Minimarts and lots of shops are present in all directions.
- Hardy’s – Supermarket with a few other shops attached about 300m north along the main street, but very modest compared to Kuta.
- Jet-skiing and parasailing, among other fun activities, can be arranged at counters along the beach nearby, but the choice is better at Tanjung Benoa.