InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – Unparalleled blend of history, style, opulence, and convenience.
Guests will be immediately wowed as they stroll through the unassuming entrance and gaze at the extraordinary atrium. All of the gorgeous rooms and suites and impressive facilities are within two nineteenth-century buildings which retain many of their original features and are attached via the reception area and basement-level restaurant. Facing inwards and overlooking the atrium, the quiet rooms can be dark inside, while the suites offer city views and more natural light. Offering a rare old-world charm – and, of course, all the expected modern conveniences – the service is exceptional, including award-winning concierges. The InterContinental is also internationally certified for its ecological awareness.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – The Location
- Area: Fashionable, quieter, and not overbuilt like other sections of downtown. Plenty of places to shop and eat. Trams at the hotel door, walkable to major train stations, and 2 blocks from the scenic Yarra River.
- Address: 495 Collins Street, in the western part of the city center.
- Nearest Transport: Bus – Collins St (400m), Tram – Collins St/William St (150m), Metro – Southern Cross Station (500m).
- How to Get There: Taxis to/from the airport (25 km) cost around A$80. For about A$20, SkyBus (approximately every 10 minutes, 24/7) takes passengers to the Southern Cross train station (700m), but ask SkyBus about a free transfer from the station to the hotel. Otherwise, Starbus shuttle services (5 am-10 pm daily) travel directly between the airport and hotel (about A$30).
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – The Basics
- Guests: Business people and tourists who appreciate the history, charm, and location.
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Views: The design, history, and inner-city location prohibit any notable views. Most rooms face inwards and overlook the atrium that joins the 2 buildings, while the suites face out towards the attached Rialto high-rise.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: A few suites have private jacuzzis.
- Extras: Club InterContinental Lounge access to guests of the suites and some special rooms. This also includes breakfast and evening drinks.
- Parking: Valet parking available in a car park next door. Costs are high, as expected in this part of downtown.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 8627 1400
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: melbourne.intercontinental.com
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – Amenities
- Pool: Heated indoor pool more appealing than those at most rival hotels (and some don’t even have a pool). On the rooftop, with a wooden deck and superb city views from full-length windows. Jacuzzi and small garden attached.
- Spa: The Botanic Day Spa is a rarity among competitors. Luxurious and elegant, offering a vast selection of award-winning therapies and treatments.
- Fitness Center: Airy, spacious, and filled with all the latest equipment. Open 24 hours with superb views and a sauna.
- Other Facilities: Business Centre. Same-day laundry and dry-cleaning.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Alluvial Restaurant – At basement level within the extraordinary atrium. Modern Australian cuisine, silver service, and affordable menu at lunch. Sumptuous High Teas on weekend afternoons.
- Bars: Bluestone Wine Lounge – Part of Alluvial, it’s ideal for coffee, cocktails, and conversations. Happy hours and all-day snacks. • Market Lane Bar – Award-winning street-level lounge with one of the city’s widest selections of whiskies. Intimate setting and cozy sofas. Evenings only.
- Breakfast: Not normally included but could be, depending on the type of room and how it was booked. Often included in ‘weekend specials’ and for those staying in the suites and special rooms.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – Rooms
- Room Types: Queen Rialto Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Twin Deluxe Rooms • King Executive Rooms • King Club Rooms • Twin Club Rooms • King Club Rialto Rooms Club • InterContinental Suites • King Club Junior Spa Suites • Senior Suites • Signature Suites • Iconic Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: Ultimate luxury can be enjoyed in the Signature Suites. Each is themed according to nearby destinations such as ‘Yarra Valley’ and ‘Brighton Beach’. Corner position for even more views and light.
- For Families: Most categories of rooms can fit in an extra single bed but the hotel is not really set up for families. Better options elsewhere.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – Local Transport
- Public Transport: Every few minutes, trams shuttle along Collins Street (and other roads) just in front of the hotel. Trams also head to suburban areas like South Yarra, Docklands, and St Kilda Beach. All trams are free within the city center and to Docklands. Two blocks south of the hotel is the major train station at Flinders Street (800m).
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Arrange a taxi at reception or find one along the streets. Uber and Ola operate all over Melbourne.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Rustica Rialto Towers – Coffee, bakery, and café inside the Rialto building next door. Serene setting in an atrium away from traffic. (25m).
- Mughouse – Ideal for a coffee as well as hearty breakfasts, soups, and salads. East up Collins Street. (200m).
- The Sherlock Holmes – Adorable pub, as if transported from an English village. Cozy downstairs position and popular for happy hours and daily food specials. (250m).
- Dr. Watson’s Bar – Next to (and associated with) the Sherlock Holmes. Airy street-level setting, appealing bar, and all-day pub food. (300m).
Fashionable boutiques, meandering arcades, and appealing department stores are in all directions, particularly along Bourke Street, 2 blocks north of the hotel (400m). Plenty more places to shop, eat, and drink along the scenic Yarra River south of the hotel (500m).
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto – The Hotel
All Melbourne Hotel Reviews
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Crest on Park Hotel Apartments
- Crown Metropol Melbourne
- Crown Towers
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel
- The Langham, Melbourne
- The Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
- Novotel Melbourne Central Hotel
- Pan Pacific Melbourne
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
- Quest Docklands
- Quest NewQuay, Docklands
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
- Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel