The Langham, Melbourne – Oh-so elegant with a tranquil riverside position amongst endless amenities.
Magnificently positioned alongside the river, just across the bridge from downtown, The Langham oozes the sort of elegance and charm expected at a historical hotel in London. It is virtually attached to a riverside mall packed with sophisticated shopping and dining, almost on the edge of the remarkable Botanic Gardens, and surrounded by theaters. All categories of accommodations are utterly gorgeous, and the suites are arguably the finest in Melbourne. Some suites feature jacuzzis for two, private studies, and fully-equipped kitchens, and all offer some of the city’s premier views. The excellent pool, Chinese-inspired spa, and outdoor lounge area overlooking the Yarra River add further to the appeal.
The Langham, Melbourne – The Location
- Address: 1 Southgate Avenue, Southbank.
- Area: Fabulous position facing the river, just across a bridge from the city center. Almost attached to an extended collection of riverside shops, cafés, and bars called Southgate which is part of an area generally referred to as Southbank. About 2 blocks from the Crown Casino.
- How to Get There: Taxis to/from the airport (16 miles, 1-hour drive) cost around A$80. For about A$20, SkyBus (every 30-60 minutes, 6 am-7 pm daily) drops off and picks up passengers at Eureka Tower (0.1 mile, 2-minute walk). Otherwise, Starbus shuttles (5 am-10 pm daily) travel directly between the airport and hotel door (about A$30).
- Handy to: Southgate. Botanic Gardens. Crown Casino.
The Langham, Melbourne – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly business people during the week and, often, couples on weekends, especially for romantic getaways.
- Pets: Not permitted.
- Views: With few buildings of similar height nearby, views are more impressive than those from most rival hotels. Many rooms face the river with the city center in the background, while others overlook the city streets.
- Kitchens: The 1-only Kerrie Hess Residence Suite features a fully-equipped kitchen.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: A few suites have large jacuzzis.
- Extras: Some guests have access to the exclusive and opulent Langham Club Lounge, which includes additional benefits.
- Wi-Fi: Available throughout for free to all guests.
- Parking: Valet parking and self-parking available at a nearby public car park, but rates are high.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 8696 8888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: langhamhotels.com
The Langham, Melbourne – Amenities
- Pool: The indoor heated pool is more appealing than those at most other hotels. Drink/food service available poolside and the upper-level views are impressive.
- Spa: The pool is attached to the super-classy Chuan Spa. Using its own organic products, the extraordinary range of treatments and therapies are influenced by traditional Chinese medicine.
- Fitness Center: Large and well-equipped. Sublime views, steam rooms, sauna, and personal trainers. Also, classes in fitness, yoga, and Pilates.
The Langham, Melbourne – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Melba Restaurant – Award-winning haute cuisine enhanced by silver service, gorgeous river views, and an open-plan kitchen. Popular for its sumptuous afternoon High Tea.
- Bar: Aria Bar & Lounge – Sophisticated place for a cocktail or coffee. Also, a tempting menu.
- Breakfast: Not included but could be, depending on how the room is booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
The Langham, Melbourne – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe River Rooms • Deluxe Corner Rooms • Deluxe Balcony Rooms • Executive Terrace Rooms • Executive Rooms • One Bedroom Suites • Kerrie Hess Residence Suite (one only) • Chairman Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is allowed in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: Fit for royalty, the Chairman Suites are the ultimate in luxury and opulence. Superb views, private study/office, and very spacious living/dining area.
- For Families: Not really set up for families. The very expensive suites can easily accommodate a family of 4 or more, but better family-friendly options can be found elsewhere.
The Langham, Melbourne – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The riverside paths in both directions are flat, lined with bars, bistros, and boutiques, and ideal for strolling and cycling. Cycle along the paths beside the river and avoid the city center.
- Public Transport: Every few minutes, trams shuttle along Flinders Street (and other roads) in the city center, just across the bridge from the hotel. Trams also head to suburban areas like South Yarra, Docklands, and St Kilda Beach. All trams are free within the city center and to Docklands.
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Arrange a taxi through reception. Uber and Ola operate all over Melbourne.
The Langham, Melbourne – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
The Langham is alongside Southgate (150m, 2-minute walk), a complex packed with classy places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as a food court. Within Southgate are these 2 lovely riverside bistro/bars:
- BearBrass – Popular for its arty décor and good-value nightly specials (e.g. ‘steak nights’ and ‘pizza and pint’), as well as Saturday brunch and daily happy hours.
- Tutto Bene – On the first floor of the Southgate building, offering unobstructed river views. Happy hours, tapas, and plenty of food/drink specials.
Just steps from the complex, try:
- Ponyfish Island – Remarkable location under the pedestrian bridge and, therefore, in the middle of the river. Casual meals, pleasing prices, and extraordinary setting. 2-minute walk (150m).
- Teatro – Part of the Hamer Hall theater, it specializes in pizza and tapas. Also, plenty of healthy, tempting options influenced by the Italian chef. 4-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Spirit of Melbourne Cruising Restaurant – Unique, intimate river cruises. Set-price packages include a 4-course dinner and unlimited drinks. Leaves from a terminal in front of Southgate, next to the pedestrian bridge. 5-minute walk (0.3 mile).
- Southgate – Plenty of classy shops and fashionable boutiques within the complex almost attached to the hotel. 2-minute walk (150m).
- Crown Casino – Even more shops are a couple of minutes’ walk further west along the river, all part of this remarkable shopping complex at Southbank. 8-minute walk (0.4 mile).
The Langham is only a few minutes from the edge of the extensive inner-city parks which include the magnificent Royal Botanic Gardens and adjoining Kings Domain. Both are extensive, free to enter, and packed with statues, glasshouses, colonial-era remnants, and modern-day attractions. 6-minute walk (0.3 mile).
The Langham, Melbourne – The Hotel
All Melbourne Hotel Reviews
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Crest on Park Hotel Apartments
- Crown Metropol Melbourne
- Crown Towers
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
- The Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
- Novotel Melbourne Central Hotel
- Pan Pacific Melbourne
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
- Quest Docklands
- Quest NewQuay, Docklands
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
- Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel