Novotel Melbourne Central – Well-priced midrange option in a central yet quiet location.
Part of a well-known international chain, this hotel is wonderfully positioned along a street with little traffic deep within the heart of the city center. Rooms and amenities reflect the rates which are more affordable than overpriced rivals: e.g. no pool, but there is a gym. Featuring delightful window-side seating, rooms are compact, if a little undersized, but impressively furnished. The suites are better as they offer more space and windows and separate living areas. The main drawcard, however, is the position: a short stroll from Chinatown and Queen Victoria Market, surrounded by hip cafés along narrow lanes for which Melbourne is renowned, and meters from the free inner-city tram service.
Novotel Melbourne Central – The Location
Shares the same building and amenities as the Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel. There is, however, a separate reception area, and rooms are on higher floors for superior views.
- Area: Convenient to so many shops, bistros, and bars, as well as transport options. The street is built-up, with plenty of construction in the vicinity, but it’s still remarkably quiet inside the hotel and there’s very little traffic outside.
- Address: 399 Little Lonsdale Street, between Lonsdale and La Trobe streets in the northern part of the city center.
- Nearest Transport: Bus – Little Lonsdale St, Lonsdale St, & Hardware St (150m), Tram – Queen St/La Trobe St & Melbourne Central Station (150m), Metro – Melbourne Central Station (250m).
- How to Get There: Taxis to/from the airport (22 km) cost at least A$70. For about A$20, SkyBus (approximately every 10 minutes, 24/7) takes passengers to the Southern Cross train station (1 km), but ask SkyBus about a free transfer from the station to the hotel. Otherwise, Starbus shuttles (5 am-10 pm daily) travel directly between the airport and hotel (about A$30).
- Handy to: Chinatown. Queen Victoria Market.
Novotel Melbourne Central – The Basics
- Guests: Overwhelmingly business people.
- Pets: Not permitted.
- Views: With rooms on higher floors, views are better than those from the Ibis hotel on the lower levels, but very few hotels in this heavily built-up area offer any worthwhile views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city hotel.
- Parking: Valet parking available for a reasonable cost. Otherwise, use the public car parks nearby.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 9929 8888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: accorhotels.com
Novotel Melbourne Central – Amenities
- Pool & Spa: No pool, as is common at this sort of mid-range hotel.
- Fitness Center: Complimentary access. Small but adequate.
- For Families: Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Dry-cleaning. Money exchange. Business center.
Novotel Melbourne Central – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Pretty Boy Italian Steakhouse – With a sort of gangster-themed décor, the setting is sophisticated and the range of steaks and pasta is mouth-watering. Dinner only and children’s menu available.
- Bar: Floyd’s Aperitivo Bar – Extensive selection of cocktails, fizzy drinks, imported beers, and local wines. Can order food from Pretty Boy, which is virtually attached.
- Breakfast: Not normally included; depends on the type of room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: 24 hours but limited menu overnight.
Novotel Melbourne Central – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Rooms 1 King Bed • Superior Rooms (with queen/king bed or 2 singles) • Deluxe Rooms (with king or 2 double beds) • Executive Rooms (king bed or 2 double beds) • Junior Suite 1 King Bed • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: The suites are over twice the size of the Standard Rooms. On a corner, they offer double the windows and views.
- For Families: Some rooms have connecting doors, but aren’t generally large enough for an extra single bed, except the suites.
Novotel Melbourne Central – Local Transport
- Public Transport: Every few minutes, trams shuttle along La Trobe and Lonsdale streets (both a block away from the hotel) and to suburban areas like South Yarra, Docklands, and St Kilda Beach. All trams within the city center and to Docklands are free.
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Arrange a taxi through reception or find one along the streets. Uber and Ola operate all over Melbourne.
Novotel Melbourne Central – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Gypsy & Pig – Just steps from the hotel, it’s famous for Japanese-inspired cuisine and pork dishes. Sleek and unique pig-themed décor. (25m).
Just around the corner from the hotel, Hardware Street/Lane is one of many alleys throughout this part of Melbourne full of quaint and fashionable cafés, bars, and coffee shops, most with outdoor seating along this vehicle-free street. These places are within a couple of minutes from the hotel:
- Hardware Street Café & Bar – Casual, well-priced, and popular hangout for waffles and happy hours. (75m).
- Amigos – Funky, multi-level bar/bistro for tequila and tapas and everything Mexican in between. (200m).
- Grill Steak and Seafood – The most sophisticated option along the lane. Attractive outdoor tables and silver service. No prizes for guessing the main items on the extra-long menu. (200m).
Shops & Attractions
- Melbourne Central – A block east of the hotel is this multi-story arcade filled with fabulous places to shop and eat (200m). Attached by an elevated walkway over Lonsdale Street, the Emporium Melbourne mall is more of the same, with the added bonus of a terrific food court (400m). One block further east from the Emporium is Chinatown (1 km).
- Queen Victoria Market – Three blocks north of the hotel is a massive area selling fresh produce as well as clothes, souvenirs, and food. Open 6 am-2 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6 am-5 pm Fridays, 6 am-3 pm Saturdays, and 9 am-4 pm Sundays. Vibrant night market on Wednesday evenings for street food. (700m).
Novotel Melbourne Central – The Hotel
All Melbourne Hotel Reviews
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Crest on Park Hotel Apartments
- Crown Metropol Melbourne
- Crown Towers
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
- The Langham, Melbourne
- The Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
- Pan Pacific Melbourne
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
- Quest Docklands
- Quest NewQuay, Docklands
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
- Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel