Pan Pacific Melbourne – Central, quiet, and riverside with fantastic views.
The former Hilton hotel ticks all the right boxes. It overlooks the river (one of very few that do); is so convenient to the city center and facilities like the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre; is surrounded by upmarket shops and cafés, and most rooms and suites offer extended views along the river. Yet, remarkably, the Pan Pacific is in an area with virtually no traffic, so it’s astoundingly quiet. Most categories of accommodations look fairly similar inside and feature all the expected mod-cons, while some suites have kitchenettes and two bedrooms and bathrooms, so they’re ideal for families.
Pan Pacific Melbourne – The Location
- Address: 2 Convention Centre Place, South Wharf. In an area popularly called Southbank.
- Area: Lovely, quiet, and just over the river by pedestrian bridge from the southwest corner of the city center. In front of the hotel is a collection of shops, cafés, and bars, and about 0.5 mile (10-minute walk) further along via a riverside path is the incredible Crown Casino complex.
- How to Get There: Taxis to/from the airport (15 miles, 1-hour drive) cost around A$70. For about A$20, SkyBus (every 30-60 minutes, 6 am-7 pm daily) links the airport with the convention center which is virtually next to the hotel. Otherwise, Starbus shuttles (5 am-10 pm daily) travel directly between the airport and the hotel (about A$30).
- Handy to: Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (direct access from the 1st floor of the hotel)
Pan Pacific Melbourne – The Basics
- Guests: Many guests stay here to attend events at the adjoining convention center.
- Pets: Not permitted.
- Views: With the low-level convention center alongside, views are extensive from all angles. Views of the river are better, while views of the suburbs and freeway are less impressive.
- Kitchen: The 2-bedroom suites feature kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzi: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city hotel.
- Extras: Some rooms and suites include Club Lounge access and free breakfast. Free use of computers for all guests in a dedicated area at the lobby.
- Wi-Fi: Quick, reliable, and included free for all guests.
- Parking: Self-parking for a reasonable cost in the convention center car park. Valet parking for twice as much.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 9027 2000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: panpacific.com
Pan Pacific Melbourne – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there isn’t one.
- Spa: None, but a spa is very rare among inner-city hotels like this.
- Fitness Center: Modest size but should satisfy most. Open 24 hours.
- For Families: Good-value package deals for families. Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Business center. ATM. Laundry. Car rental. Minimart.
Pan Pacific Melbourne – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Dock 37 Bar & Kitchen – Refined setting with suspended walk-through ‘wine gantry’ (cellar/pantry). Modern Australian cuisine, cozy seating, and terrific service. For buffet breakfast and a la carte dinner.
- Cafe: Café Orr – Casual coffee shop also serving sandwiches, pastries, and juices. Inside and along a terrace near the main entrance. Closes at 3 pm.
- Breakfast: Not normally included, but can be, depending on the room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Pan Pacific Melbourne – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Family Queen Rooms • Two Bedroom City Skyline Suites • Two Bedroom Bay View Suites • Premier King City Skyline Rooms • Pacific Club King Rooms • Yarra Suites • Panoramic Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere on the hotel premises.
- Best Room: Over twice the size of most other rooms, the amazing Yarra Suites offer extended floor-to-ceiling windows for jaw-dropping views from the upper floors.
- For Families: The special Family Queen Rooms are no larger than the standard rooms, but each features a queen bed and a single. The Two Bedroom Suites – each with a living/dining room, kitchenette, and 2 bathrooms – are more than spacious enough for families of 4.
Pan Pacific Melbourne – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The riverside paths in both directions are flat, lined with bars, bistros, and boutiques, and ideal for strolling and cycling. Use the riverside paths around the Southbank and South Wharf areas and avoid the city center.
- Public Transport: Not as convenient to the excellent inner-city tram system as other hotels in downtown. The closest tram stop to the hotel is on Flinders Street (0.5 mile, 9-minute walk). Every few minutes, trams shuttle along the streets of the city center and to suburban areas like South Yarra, Docklands, and St Kilda Beach. All trams within the city center and to Docklands are free.
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Arrange a taxi through reception or find one along the streets. Uber and Ola operate all over Melbourne.
Pan Pacific Melbourne – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Best range is along a precinct called South Wharf, literally outside the hotel. All bars and bistros are competitively-priced and some offer the city’s happiest hours.
- Charlie Lovett – Popular among locals for its stylish setting and lovingly-made coffee. 2-minute walk (0.1 mile).
- Akachochin – Award-winning, contemporary Japanese cuisine and classy service. Famous for its marble bar and popular for set-price lunch menus. 3-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- BangPop – Colorful tables, funky setting, and upmarket versions of Thai street food. Cooking classes available. 3-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- The General Assembly – Retains features of the original wharf and warehouse. Hearty steaks, locally-crafted beer, and sociable staff. 4-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- The Boatbuilders Yard – Plenty of wooden tables inside and out. Wins awards for its nautical-style setting and good-value meals. 5-minute walk (0.2 mile).
Only meters from the hotel, DFO South Wharf (50m, 1-minute walk) is part of a citywide chain offering top brands at lower-than-expected prices. Several shops can be found in the city center just across the river (0.7 mile, 15-minute walk), or east along Southbank via the riverside path (0.5 mile, 10-minute walk).
Pan Pacific Melbourne – The Hotel
All Melbourne Hotel Reviews
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Crest on Park Hotel Apartments
- Crown Metropol Melbourne
- Crown Towers
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
- The Langham, Melbourne
- The Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
- Novotel Melbourne Central Hotel
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
- Quest Docklands
- Quest NewQuay, Docklands
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
- Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel