Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – Exquisite and stylish, with a history and charm lacking in modern high-rises.
Easy to miss on a corner in a fashionable section of the city center, this award-winning hotel is very likable and quite unusual: it’s based in a handsome nineteenth-century bank building and offers apartments and suites rather than rooms. Within the original Heritage Wing or newer Plaza Building, each accommodation is ‘boutique’ (meaning compact), but there’s still space for a separate (often sunken) living area, decent kitchenette, and a clothes washer/dryer. Ideal for families and long-stayers, the apartments are larger and offer better views. The hotel retains its original structure, so windows are small and views are unremarkable, but it’s all about the old-world charm, genuine history, and excellent inner-city setting. What’s more, all guests have access to a delightful mezzanine-level guest lounge.
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – The Location
- Address: 394 Collins Street, in the western part of the city center.
- Area: Fashionable, quieter, and not overbuilt like other sections of downtown. Plenty of places to shop and eat. Trams at the hotel door, walkable to major train stations, and two blocks from the scenic Yarra River.
- How to Get There: Taxis to/from the airport (14 miles, about 1-hour drive) cost around A$80. For about A$20, SkyBus (approximately every 10 minutes, 24/7) takes passengers from the airport to the Southern Cross train station (0.6 mile, 13-minute walk), but ask SkyBus about a free transfer from the station to the hotel. Otherwise, Starbus shuttles (5 am-10 pm daily) travel directly between the airport and hotel (about A$30).
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Those looking for inner-city (and romantic) getaways on weekends, and mostly business people during the week.
- Pets: Not permitted.
- Views: Limited because most windows are small as the original design in the Heritage Wing is retained. Better views from higher floors in the newer Plaza Building.
- Kitchen: All types of accommodations have kitchenettes as well as clothes washers and dryers.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Jacuzzis in the Heritage King Loft Apartments with Spa. No private pools.
- Extras: All guests have access to the adorable Treasured Guest Lounge on a mezzanine level above the forecourt (converted to a bistro) in the original bank building. Includes free snacks, drinks, and use of a pool table and computers. Ask the staff for a brochure about the history of the building, which includes a self-guided tour of the hotel. Netflix in all rooms.
- Wi-Fi: Quick, free, and available to all guests throughout.
- Parking: No valet parking available or self-parking on-site. Management can recommend the best public carparks to use.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)3 8535 8535
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: treasuryoncollins.com.au
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The design of this Heritage-listed building precludes a pool.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: Modest array of equipment but decent enough for most. Open 24/7.
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Nothing within the hotel, except the separately-owned bistro called The Bank (see below).
- Breakfast: Not normally included but this depends on the room and how it was booked. Served in the lovely guest lounge above the forecourt of the original bank building.
- Room Service: With no café/bar within the hotel building, room service is very limited.
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Plaza Queen Suites • Heritage King Suites • Heritage One Bedroom Apartments • Heritage Balcony Suites • Heritage King Loft Apartments with Spa • Heritage Two Bedroom Apartments
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: The Heritage King Loft Apartments with Spa are well named. Split-level, with old-style charm and furnishings, as well as jacuzzis and kitchenettes.
- For Families: With abundant space, separate living/dining areas, and kitchenettes, the Heritage Two Bedroom Apartments are ideal, but otherwise this hotel is not that suited to families.
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – Local Transport
- Public Transport: Every few minutes, trams shuttle along Collins Street (and other roads) just in front of the hotel. Trams also head to suburban areas like South Yarra, Docklands, and St Kilda Beach. All trams are free within the city center and to Docklands. Two blocks south of the hotel is the major train station at Flinders Street (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk).
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Arrange a taxi at reception or find one along the streets. Uber and Ola operate all over Melbourne.
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- The Bank Bar and Restaurant – In the forecourt of the hotel building, it features glorious remnants of the original 19th-century bank. Pulsating hive of activity for local workers. Classy but pricey.
- Natural History Public Bar – Within a spacious and historic building; also, tables along the sidewalk. Genuine pub vibe, live music on weekends, and tempting food and drink specials. Virtually across the road. 1-minute walk (75m).
- The Sherlock Holmes – Adorable pub akin to being transported to an English village. Cozy downstairs setting and popular for happy hours and daily food specials. 1-minute walk (100m).
- Dr. Watson’s Bar – Next door to (and associated with) The Sherlock Holmes. Airy street-level position, appealing bar, and all-day pub food. 1-minute walk (100m).
Fashionable boutiques, meandering arcades, and appealing department stores are in all directions, particularly along Bourke Street, 2 blocks north of the hotel (0.2 mile, 4-minute walk). Plenty more places to shop, eat, and drink along the scenic Yarra River south of the hotel (0.5 mile, 10-minute walk).
Treasury on Collins Apartment Hotel – The Hotel
All Melbourne Hotel Reviews
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Crest on Park Hotel Apartments
- Crown Metropol Melbourne
- Crown Towers
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne
- Grand Chancellor Melbourne
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Ibis Melbourne Central Hotel
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
- The Langham, Melbourne
- The Lyall Hotel and Spa
- Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
- Novotel Melbourne Central Hotel
- Pan Pacific Melbourne
- PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
- Pullman Melbourne Albert Park
- Quest Docklands
- Quest NewQuay, Docklands
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins