Mokum Suites – Intimate, luxurious B&B near Rembrandtplein, with great canal views.
Overlooking Amsterdam’s grandest canal, Mokum Suites occupies a revamped 1688 canal house. There are just two spacious, luxe rooms – all clean lines, blond wood floors, soothing creams and blues, and plenty of natural light. Besides great canal views, the two rooms come with large plasma-screen TVs, stereos, and large, well-equipped bathrooms. The owners are on hand to advise guests about the city, most of Amsterdam’s main attractions are within walking distance, and while there’s no onsite dining, a cozy guest kitchen and living area contribute to the home-away-from-home ambience.
Mokum Suites – Location
- Address: Herengracht 532, 1017 CC Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Rembrandtplein.
- Area: Located at the confluence of 2 canals in the historic canal ring, just 3 minutes’ walk from the lively Rembrandtplein; a 5-minute walk from the Medieval Center and the Red Light District. Central and convenient for most of the city’s attractions without being noisy.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then tram #9 to Rembrandtplein stop, 3 minutes’ walk from the hotel.
- Handy to: Rembrandtplein, the Medieval Center, historic canal ring.
Mokum Suites – The Basics
- Ages: Guests tend to be couples on a romantic getaway or city break; children are welcome, however.
- View: Both suites overlook the Herengracht canal.
- Kitchen: Fully-equipped kitchen for guest use with Nespresso machine.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: No laundry.
- Extras: The friendly owners are happy to share their insider knowledge of the city; guidebooks and city maps available for guest use.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 to 4 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 06-1825-1498
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: mokumsuites.com
Mokum Suites – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Not suitable for disabled guests due to stair access.
- For Families: No specific family-friendly amenities.
Mokum Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: No onsite dining, but there are numerous restaurants and cafes a few minutes’ walk away.
- Lounge/Bar: No bar, but there are numerous bars clustered around nearby Rembrandtplein.
- Breakfast: No breakfast onsite, but guests are entitled to a discounted breakfast at the nearby Brug 34 café.
- Room Service: No room service.
Mokum Suites – Rooms
- Room Type: Super-Deluxe Double.
- Smoking Rooms: Mokum Suites is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: While both rooms benefit from excellent canal views, and have similar amenities, the Star Suite comes with a free-standing tub.
- Family Rooms: No family rooms.
Mokum Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: Easy walking distance to Rembrandtplein and its nightlife, the Medieval Center, Red Light District, and Leidseplein with its many bars, restaurants and theaters. Walkable to the Museum Quarter and De Pijp. Numerous museums, cafes, and restaurants just minutes away on foot.
- Tram: Direct tram connections to Centraal Station, De Pijp district, and Waterlooplein.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Mokum Suites – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants and Cafes
- Van Dobben – Old-school Dutch restaurant, open since 1940, and specializing in meaty classics. 3-minute walk.
- Guts – Experimental fine dining with an ever-changing menu, and wallet-friendly multi-course lunch. Reservations recommended. 3-minute walk.
- Café Van Leeuwen – Bacon cheeseburgers, grilled tuna steak, Dutch sausage with fries, and other bistro food in a canal-side setting. 4-minute walk.
- Tempo Doeloe – Upmarket Indonesian restaurant with an impressive rijsttafel (small dish) spread, and an excellent wine list. 5-minute walk.
- Brasserie NeL – Family-friendly brasserie, good for anything from coffee and cake to light lunches. Stylish bar attached; live jazz on Monday nights. 5-minute walk.
- Roses by Sal – Latin American street food – tacos, quesadillas, empanadas – as well as ceviche, and excellent pisco cocktails. 6-minute walk.
- Lo Stivale d’Oro – Family-run trattoria renowned for its pizzas, and popular with families. Occasional live music. 6-minute walk.
- Bouchon du Centre – Rustic French-style bistro with a daily-changing menu. Good list of Rhone Valley wines. 7-minute walk.
- Pata Negra – Popular tapas bar, where the sangria and margaritas are as good as the authentic Spanish dishes. 7-minute walk.
- Café Slijterij Oosterling – One of Amsterdam’s most atmospheric cafes, dating back to the 1700s. Low ceilings, copper vats, good coffee. 8-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars
- Café Bolle Jan – Enjoy your beer while listening to some rollicking live folk music at this lively bar. 3-minute walk.
- Café Montmartre – Arguably the best gay bar in the city, with the crowd singing along to 80’s and 90’s pop and Dutch ballads, a friendly vibe, and drag night every other Friday. Happy hours 6-8pm. 3-minute walk.
- Door 74 – Dark-timbered, speakeasy-style bar behind an unmarked door (send a text message to gain entry), responsible for some of Amsterdam’s best cocktails. 4-minute walk.
- Mulligans – This authentic Irish pub has live traditional Irish music most nights, a fun vibe, and Guinness and Magners on tap. 5-minute walk.
- Lion Noir – Original cocktails, and interior full of plants, bird cages, and taxidermied birds, and some of Amsterdam’s hippest A-listers. 6-minute walk.
- Xtracold Amsterdam Icebar – Wrap up warm and enjoy your 3 drinks amidst the ice sculptures of this gimmicky-but-fun bar. 6-minute walk.
- Bar Moustache – Hip, minimalist-style bar with numerous Italian wines by the glass, and a short and sweet menu of Italian dishes. 7-minute walk.
- Taproom – An impressive array of craft beers from local award-winning breweries, such as Oedipus, Brouwerij ‘t IJ, Brouwerij de Prael, 24 beers on tap, and a supporting cast of burgers, cold cuts, and cheese ‘planks’. 10-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- Skateboards Amsterdam – Skaters’ boutique stocking everything from long boards and skaterwear by Spitfire to indie music. 3-minute walk.
- Vlieger – Upmarket, handmade stationary from Asia and Central America, Egyptian papyrus, and more. 4-minute walk.
- Concerto Record Store – Huge music shop stocking CDs and vinyl in every imaginable genre. 4-minute walk.
- Mobilia Amsterdam – ‘Lifestyle studio’ stocking Dutch and international designs, from homeware to furniture. 5-minute walk.
- Galerie Lieve Hemel – Sculptures and realist paintings by contemporary Dutch artists such as Theo Voorzaat and Ben Snijders. 5-minute walk.
- Look Out – Super-hip men’s and women’s fashion by the likes of Fogal, Zenggi, and Soho de Luxe. 5-minute walk.
- Renssen Art Gallery – Charcoal drawings and paintings by independent Dutch artist Erik Renssen. 6-minute walk.
- MaisonNL Concept Store – Clothing, homewares, leather accessories, and more inside a hip gallery. 7-minute walk.
- Jaski Gallery – Sculptures, ceramics, prints, and paintings by members of the CoBrA (Copenhagen/Brussels/Amsterdam) art movement. 7-minute walk.
- So ART Gallery – Contemporary art prints, paintings, sculptures, and drawings, from the 1900’s to the present day. 7-minute walk.
- Kramer Kunst & Antiek – Antique Dutch tiles are the specialty, but you may find all sorts of antique treasures here. 8-minute walk.
- Harts Wijnhandel – 19th century wine shop that stocks an excellent range of Italian and French wines, as well as jenever. 8-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
Mokum Suites – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide