Updated: July 30, 2018
Casa del Sole – Self-catering apartments, with double beach frontage, but soulless and needing updating.
Facing 1 beach (Baie des Citrons), and overlooking another (Anse Vata), with a vast empty block in front, dramatic ocean views are guaranteed from all windows. The apartments are in a high-rise, easily the tallest in the immediate area, and feature 1 or 2 bedrooms, as well as a kitchen, lounge area and laundry. They’re all spacious, although sparsely-furnished with a colourless décor begging for some life, but the balconies are extended, with access from the bedroom and lounge. Other benefits are the proximity to chic bistros, and the secure undercover parking. Less impressive, however, is the pool: on top of the carpark building, with no shade and in dire need of upkeep.
Casa del Sole – The Basics
- Location: 10 Rue de L’Aquarium; just off the main road along Baie des Citrons, a beachside suburb of Noumea on the main island. About 4.5km from the city centre; 50 minutes from the international airport; and 15 minutes from the domestic airport.
- Guests: Caters well for families, although many guests seem to be business people on longer stays.
- Beach: Faces 2 beaches: Baie des Citrons and Anse Vata. The latter is quieter and more scenic.
- Views: Outstanding views from all apartments, although those facing the Baie des Citrons are better because the building is closer to that beach.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available free for all guests throughout the building.
- Parking: Undercover, free and secure in a separate 2-level building.
- Phone: (687) 25 87 00
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.casadelsole.nc/en/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Casa del Sole – Amenities
- Pool: Unexpectedly poor, with no shade, minimal seating and faded decking.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Probably surprisingly, not provided.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Casa del Sole – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Parisienne-style Casa del Sole bistro serves breakfast and coffee. With outdoor tables alongside the lobby, it’s also a convenience store selling basic supplies.
- Breakfast: Not provided because all apartments have a kitchen, so guests can self-cater.
- Room Service: Not provided.
Casa del Sole – Rooms
- Room Types: Apartments with 1 or 2 bedrooms • Shared Rooms (i.e. dormitories) for groups of up to 16
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking anywhere in the rooms, but OK on the balconies.
- Best Room: Apartments are fairly similar inside, with 1 or 2 bedrooms. The best are those higher up, offering optimal sea views, especially in the corner facing both bays.
Casa del Sole – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Within 200m north along the esplanade is a row of classy cafés and bars including:
- Il Fornaio (24 85 86) – refined Italian-style bistro for pizza, calzone and French food. Also popular for risottos, salads, bruschetta and coffee. Big serves and bigger smiles. 1-minute walk.
- Le Duke’s (28 17 47) – American-style diner with ‘50s theme and pink Cadillac. Nothing much but burgers. Pricey and so-so service. 1-minute walk.
- La Barca (28 15 40) – relaxed bistro during the day, pizza and tapas bar after dark and ritzy nightclub later. Agreeable Latin American feel. 1-minute walk.
- L’Agora (41 93 93) – outdoor and undercover seats a little further back from the noisy road. For haute cuisine, with an extended menu and peerless service.
- Les 3 Brasseurs (24 15 16) – likable pub with brewery onsite and happy hours. Also stay for BBQ ribs, tapas and pizzas. Takeaways, live music, children’s menus and upstairs sea views. 2-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: A convenience store on the ground floor sells basic supplies, and several others are along the esplanade in Baie des Citrons.
Public buses head north up the esplanade along Baie des Citrons to the city centre and down to Ansa Vata beach.
Casa del Sole – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Family Hotels in New Caledonia
- Hotel Beaurivage – Review
- Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Review
- Gondwana Hotel – Review
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences – Review
- Hôtel du Centre – Review
- Hôtel New Caledonia – Review
- Hôtel Le Lagon – Review
- Le Méridien Noumea Resort & Spa – Review
- Hôtel Le Paris – Review
- Les Cases de Plum – Review
- L’Escapade Island Resort – Review
- Marina Beach Residence – Review
- Nouvata Hotel – Review
- Ramada Hotel & Suites – Review