Updated: August 3, 2018
Les Cases de Plum – Charming bungalows at rural home along the coast, but no beach and out-of-the-way.
A popular alternative to the resorts of Noumea are the low-key lodges and campsites along the inner southern coasts. Most, however, are not accessible without private transport, but The Boxes of Plums is on the bus route from the capital. The 4 bungalows are delightful: chock-a-block with tasteful old-style furnishings and modern extras like TV and air-conditioning. 2 are detached and with kitchens; the others, semi-detached, without a kitchen, but with more space for extra beds. There isn’t a helluva lot to do, but that’s half the attraction. The beach over the road is grey and rocky – nice for walking, but not swimming. With a car, guests can daytrip to numerous national parks and beaches – ask the effusive hostess (although she doesn’t speak much English). There’s also a small pool. Meals can be pre-ordered, or guests can self-cater in their own kitchen, or use the communal facilities.
Les Cases de Plum – The Basics
- Location: On the Route de Sud, about 6km from Plum village and 34km from Noumea. Also about 66km from the international airport and 30km from the domestic airport.
- Guests: All catered for, but appeals more to older guests who want to relax, especially those with their own transport.
- Beach: The beach across the road from the gate is dirty and grey, and no use for swimming, but views across the bay are pretty. Far nicer is the public beach only about 2.5km away and accessible by infrequent bus.
- Views: All bungalows face the gardens.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Included for all guests, although a little hit-and-miss in this fairly remote area.
- Parking: Can park outside the front of each bungalow.
- Phone: (687) 43 83 07
- Email: sa[email protected]
- Website: http://www.lescasesdeplum.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Les Cases de Plum – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there is a small but pleasant pool among the gardens.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key collection of bungalows.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Les Cases de Plum – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Guests can use their own kitchen, or the communal facilities, or pre-order meals when booking, which are cooked by the hostess. Soft drinks, beer and wine available for purchase.
- Breakfast: Can be included in the special rate with 3 meals, or paid for separately. But breakfast is costly if bought separately and not part of the package that includes 3 meals.
- Room Service: None. Guests can eat on the veranda of their bungalow or at the main table alongside the communal kitchen.
Les Cases de Plum – Rooms
- Room Types: 2 detached bungalows with a kitchen. And 2 semi-detached bungalows without a kitchen, but with double bunk beds as well as a double bed.
- Smoking Rooms: Frowned upon inside the rooms, but OK on the patios and in public areas.
- Best Room: Quietest is the single detached bungalow near the pool, rather than the 1 up the path and next to the other 2.
Les Cases de Plum – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
There is nothing within walking distance, so pre-arrange meals when booking or order the day before. Otherwise, self-cater, or spend a lot of time waiting for buses to the village where a few restaurants are strung along the main road about 4 to 6km away.
- Market or Grocery: Nothing within walking distance and the bus doesn’t seem to stop at any village shops, so come prepared.
Catch Bus D marked ‘Plum’ from the terminal opposite the Bingo Hall, along Rue Jules Ferry in central Noumea. Get off at the final stop with the sign ‘Béatitudes’. The lodge is about 200m further back up the road.
Les Cases de Plum – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Family Hotels in New Caledonia
- Hotel Beaurivage – Review
- Casa del Sole – Review
- Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Review
- Gondwana Hotel – Review
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences – Review
- Hôtel du Centre – Review
- Hôtel New Caledonia – Review
- Hôtel Le Lagon – Review
- Le Méridien Noumea Resort & Spa – Review
- Hôtel Le Paris – Review
- L’Escapade Island Resort – Review
- Marina Beach Residence – Review
- Nouvata Hotel – Review
- Ramada Hotel & Suites – Review