Updated: July 31, 2018
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Tasteful and serene, with fab facilities and impeccable beach.
Along a peninsula in a beachside suburb of Noumea, this resort is modern and stylish, but not overly large, so it’s still quite personable. The suites, each with 1 or 2 bedrooms, are almost identical inside, with only the views differing – but even those on the side of the building offer decent vistas of the bay. All feature a balcony, king-sized bed, fully-equipped kitchen and separate lounge area with colourful furnishings. The beach in front is part of an impressive cove of bleached sands and tranquil waters, with 3 alluring and accessible islets just offshore. And facing the bay, the sparkling lagoon-style pool (with swim-up bar) is lined with shady palms, and has a children’s splash area.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Location: The former Club Med is at 140 Promenade Roger Laroque, with more convenient access on foot along the beach. Almost at the end of the headland at Anse Vata, a suburb of Noumea on the main island. About 6km from the city centre; 50 minutes from the international airport; and 15 minutes from the domestic airport.
- Guests: Caters for all, with a firm focus on families.
- Beach: The resort faces a superb beach, perfect for swimming, kayaking and paddle-boarding. And the views down the bay and across to the accessible islets are also sublime.
- Views: All accommodation has ‘sea views’, ‘courtyard views’ or ‘garden views’. Even the latter boast decent vistas of the sea.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Unlimited and free in public areas, but guests also receive a generous daily allowance for free in their rooms.
- Parking: Free, secure and plentiful in the huge parking lot outside the front entrance.
- Nice Perks: Free use of a washing machine and dryer.
- Phone: (687) 29 64 00
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: https://www.complexechateauroyal.nc/fr/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: Lovely, large and facing the sea. A swim-up bar inside and children’s splash area attached.
- Spa: The welcoming Aqua Royal Spa (29 64 44) is leading-edge, with a hairdresser, sauna, shop and heated ‘aquatonic pool’ for ‘hydro-massaging’.
- Fitness Center: An adequate size, with all the equipment required. Next to the pool.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: This sort of high-rise resort is not expected (nor provides) rooms with private pools or Jacuzzis.
- Activities: Free use of tennis courts nearby, but otherwise very limited range of activities, unlike resorts elsewhere.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Restaurant La Taom – intimate and convivial, with cuisine gastronomique all day. Set-priced multi-course meals, and à la carte duck, steak and seafood. Ocean views and silver service • Restaurant La Pirogue – garish green décor, with Melanesian themes and garden setting. Specialises in seafood. Children’s menu and plenty of desserts • Restaurant L’Escale – on the beach and lawns for salads, burgers, homemade pastries and coffee. No meals after 5pm, but remains a popular after-work bar until late.
- Lounge/Bars: Le Warai – lounge vibe, for cocktails on custom-made sofas or swinging chairs inside or on the terrace. Perfect for sunsets, and open until late • Bar Piscine – along the poolside deck or on stools in the water. All sorts of drinks and snacks available.
- Breakfast: Can be included in some rates depending how the booking is made.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours a day.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Suites • Superior Suites (with 1 or 2 bedrooms) • Deluxe Suites (with 1 or 2 bedrooms) • Prestige Suites (with 1 or 2 bedrooms)
- Smoking Rooms: Not permitted in the rooms or bars/restaurants, but OK elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Prestige Suites are the most spacious and offer the finest views, with a balcony that seems to hover above the sand.
- For families: Suites with 1 bedroom fit 1 or 2 children below 12. And those with 2 bedrooms and bathrooms can easily accommodate a family of 6.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
The neighbouring Le Méridien offers several similar resort-style bars and bistros. The places below are within 1km north along the esplanade, but it’s quicker to reach these via the beach and not along the access road to the resort.
- La Bodega del Mar – shares the same pier as Le Roof, but more affordable. For tapas, pizza, cocktails and live music. 7-minute walk.
- Le Roof (25 07 00) – extraordinary setting on a pier above the water. Sumptuous decor and expensive seafood. Intimate and romantic. Sunsets guaranteed; sometimes dolphins below. 8-minute walk.
- Le Faré du Palm Beach (26 46 61) – cheerful and perfect for people-watching. Big breakfasts, fresh salads, homemade burgers, waffles and ice cream. 10-minute walk.
- Le Bilboquet Plage (26 46 60) – upstairs at the back of the Galeria Palm Beach shops. Long-established, vast menu, reasonable prices and family-friendly. Great for trying traditional food, such as Bougna Chicken. 10-minute walk.
- Hanoi Plage (26 18 02) – quaint, colourful and chic, for Vietnamese cuisine and DIY grills on the table. Indoors and street-side setting. 11-minute walk.
- Stone Grill (24 03 24) – friendly and popular steakhouse, with all types of meats and pasta. Daily specials and takeaways. 12-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: Several minimarts are along the esplanade and around the backstreets.
Public buses head frequently along the esplanade to the city centre, often via the neighbouring beach at Baie des Citrons.
Château Royal Beach Resort & Spa – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Family Hotels in New Caledonia
- Hotel Beaurivage – Review
- Casa del Sole – Review
- Gondwana Hotel – Review
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences – Review
- Hôtel du Centre – Review
- Hôtel New Caledonia – Review
- Hôtel Le Lagon – Review
- Le Méridien Noumea Resort & Spa – Review
- Hôtel Le Paris – Review
- Les Cases de Plum – Review
- L’Escapade Island Resort – Review
- Marina Beach Residence – Review
- Nouvata Hotel – Review
- Ramada Hotel & Suites – Review