Home > L’Escapade Îlot Maître Review
Updated: November 27, 2020
L’Escapade Island Resort – Island retreat with Noumea’s only above-water bungalows.
Only twenty-five minutes by boat from the city center, this appropriately-named resort is based on a Crusoe-esque islet of forests and coral. The design of the Overwater Bungalows is simple. Inside, there are touches of Melanesia and the bungalows are spacious enough, with separate living areas and huge marble bathrooms. But it’s really all about the setting: perched above the water away from the shore, with broad views across the harbor. The Garden Bungalows, however, are clustered too tightly together, with walls of windows offering maximum views but minimal privacy. Those facing the sea are far better, of course. The pool is always busy and the beaches mostly rocky, but the water is reasonably calm. Avoid weekends and school holidays when rates can triple, and crowds, including day-trippers, are overwhelming.
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – The Basics
- Location: On Îlot Maître island, accessible by free resort boat 4 times a day (25 minutes). Boats leave from a special terminal at the Baie de la Moselle marina, just down from the market in the center of Noumea on the main island. The terminal is about 40 minutes from the international airport and 15 minutes from the domestic airport. Note: the resort is spread across one half of the island; the rest is also open to the public.
- Guests: More suited to couples seeking a quiet getaway, but families with younger children would also enjoy the setting.
- Beach: The best strip of sand is the public beach along the western half of the island. Most of the shoreline around the resort grounds is rocky, but still swimmable and excellent for snorkeling.
- Views: All Overwater Bungalows face the sea and offer 180-degree views. Garden Bungalows may offer some sea glimpses, while the Beach Bungalows overlook the water.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Decent amount of data offered free per day per bungalow.
- Parking: No vehicles on the island. Ask the management about parking on the mainland.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (687) 260 512
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: glphotels.nc
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – Amenities
- Pool: Nice setting: raised and facing the sea. But always busy and alongside the bar/restaurant. With a swim-up bar, it’s very popular.
- Spa: A hut in the far eastern end of the island offers Thai massages but nothing else.
- Fitness Center: None.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- Activities: All sorts of water-sports can be arranged, including paddleboards, jet-skis, banana boats, and kayaks, but costs are high.
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Le Restaurant serves substantial buffets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with some à la carte options also available. The public is always welcome; in fact, a buffet lunch is part of a popular day-trip from the city. • The Snack Bar in the public (western) half of the island offers simple meals and cold drinks.
- Breakfast: A full buffet breakfast is included in the rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours a day.
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – Rooms
- Room Types: Overwater Bungalow • Beach Bungalow • Garden Bungalow
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed anywhere in or near the rooms or public areas, but is OK in the gardens and on the beaches.
- Best Room: The place to stay is in one of the gorgeous Overwater Bungalows perched above the sea. The décor may be simple, but they are reasonably spacious and the views are unparalleled anywhere in or near Noumea.
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- There are no other places to eat or drink on the island. The resort boat to the mainland is timed to allow guests to enjoy lunch in (and a walk around) the city center, but not for evening meals.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Very basic supplies available on the island, so come prepared.
- No transport on the island. See above for details about reaching the island by boat.
L’Escapade Îlot Maître – What’s Nearby?
All New Caledonia Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Where to Stay in New Caledonia
- Best Time to Visit New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Where to Stay in Bora Bora
- Best Time to Visit Bora Bora
- Fiji Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Tahiti Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu