Updated: August 3, 2018
L’Escapade Island Resort – Island retreat with Noumea’s only above-water bungalows, but surprisingly plain overall.
Only 25 minutes by boat from the city centre, this appropriately-named resort is based on a Crusoe-esque islet of forests and coral. The design of the Overwater Bungalows is unexpectedly ordinary, bordering on unattractive, with an oversized roof and what looks like an added-on room. Inside, there are touches of Melanesia among the bland furnishings, and the bungalows are spacious enough, with a separate lounge area and huge marble bathroom. But it’s really all about the setting: perched above the water over 50m from the shore with broad views across the harbour. The Garden Bungalows, however, are clustered too tightly together, with walls of windows offering maximum views but minimal privacy. Those facing the sea are far better, of course. The pool is always busy and the beaches mostly rocky, but the water is reasonably calm. Avoid weekends and school holidays when rates can triple, and crowds, including day-trippers, are overwhelming.
L’Escapade Island Resort – The Basics
- Location: On Îlot Maître island, accessible by free resort boat four times a day (25 minutes). Boats leave from a special terminal at the Baie de la Moselle marina, just down from the market in the centre of Noumea on the main island. The terminal is about 40 minutes from the international airport and 15 minutes from the domestic airport. Note: the resort is spread across one half of the island; the rest is also open to the public.
- Guests: More suited to couples seeking a quiet getaway, but families with younger children would also enjoy the setting.
- Beach: The best strip of sand is the public beach along the western half of the island. Most of the shoreline around the resort grounds is rocky, but still swimmable and excellent for snorkelling.
- Views: All Overwater Bungalows face the sea, with 180-degree views. Garden Bungalows may offer some sea glimpses, while the Beach Bungalows overlook the water.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Decent amount of data offered free per day per bungalow.
- Parking: No vehicles on the island. Ask management about parking on the mainland.
- Phone: (687) 26 05 12
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.glphotels.nc/escapade-ilot-maitre-en.html
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
L’Escapade Island Resort – Amenities
- Pool: Nice setting: raised and facing the sea. But always busy, and alongside the bar/restaurant and with a swim-up bar it’s often noisy.
- Spa: A hut in the far eastern end of the island offers Thai massages but nothing else.
- Fitness Center: Perhaps, surprisingly, there isn’t one.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- Activities: All sorts of water-sports can be arranged, but costs are high, including paddleboards, jet-skis, banana boats and kayaks.
L’Escapade Island Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Le Restaurant serves substantial buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with some à la carte options also available. The public are always welcome; in fact, a buffet lunch is part of a popular daytrip from the city. The Snack Bar in the public (western) half of the island offers simple meals and cold drinks.
- Breakfast: A full buffet breakfast is included in the rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours a day.
L’Escapade Island Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: Overwater Bungalows • Beach Bungalows • Garden Bungalows
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed anywhere in or near the rooms or public areas, but OK in the gardens and on the beaches.
- Best Room: Of course, the place to stay is in one of the gorgeous Overwater Bungalows perched above the sea. The décor may be surprisingly bland, but they are reasonably spacious and the views are unparalleled anywhere in or near Noumea.
L’Escapade Island Resort – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
There are no other places to eat or drink on the island. The resort boat to the mainland is timed to allow guests to enjoy lunch in (and a walk around) the city centre, but not for evening meals.
- Market or Grocery: Very basic supplies available on the island, so come prepared.
No transport on the island. See above for details about reaching the island by boat.
L’Escapade Island Resort – What’s Nearby?
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Family Hotels in New Caledonia
- Hotel Beaurivage – Review
- Casa del Sole – Review
- Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Review
- Gondwana Hotel – Review
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences – Review
- Hôtel du Centre – Review
- Hôtel New Caledonia – Review
- Hôtel Le Lagon – Review
- Le Méridien Noumea Resort & Spa – Review
- Hôtel Le Paris – Review
- Les Cases de Plum – Review
- Marina Beach Residence – Review
- Nouvata Hotel – Review
- Ramada Hotel & Suites – Review