Updated: July 31, 2018
Gondwana Hotel – New, chic, family-friendly, inner-city and eco-aware.
The lobby sets the scene, with Melanesian crafts along the walls and a funky lounge/library area bursting with colourful sofas. Noumea’s newest certainly brightens up the drab city streets, and has won awards for use of sustainable materials. Rooms are a little undersized, although 1 or 2 extra single beds can be squeezed in, if required. They’re modern, but often dark inside, and many are crowded around a communal and potentially-noisy courtyard. Those higher up are quieter, but views from most facing the front are inexplicably blocked by wooden cladding, so get a room at the back. The quiet streets host a better-than-average array of facilities, and it’s close to the museums, markets and bus station for services around the island.
Gondwana Hotel – The Basics
- Location: 19 Rue Auguste Brun, in the so-called ‘Latin Quarter’ (which is indistinguishable from the rest of central Noumea) on the main island. About 40 minutes from the international airport and 12 minutes from the domestic airport.
- Guests: The design and vibe would appeal more to younger travellers but all are welcome, especially families.
- Beach: There are no beaches in the inner city. The nearest is at Baie des Citrons, about 15 minutes south by bus (quicker by taxi).
- Views: Many rooms face the inner courtyard, while others overlook the quiet backstreets. Views from most rooms facing the front are, however, blocked by cladding.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Secure off-street parking available for a fairly hefty rate.
- Phone: (687) 26 97 99
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: https://www.hotelgondwana.nc/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Gondwana Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of mid-range city hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Gondwana Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Not large enough to provide anywhere to eat or drink. Plenty of options along the city streets nearby (see below).
- Breakfast: May include a continental breakfast, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Not provided because there is no restaurant or bar onsite.
Gondwana Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Queen Rooms, some with 1 or 2 extra single beds • Gondwana Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed in any rooms or anywhere else in the building.
- Best Room: On the top floor, the spacious Gondwana Suites provide the hotel’s finest views of the city, and glimpses of the sea, from the balcony.
- For families: Some Queen Rooms already have 1 or 2 extra single beds, but are cramped.
Gondwana Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Pause Café (46 52 46) – opposite the hotel entrance. Great for coffee, cakes, light lunches and people-watching. Open early for breakfast. Also, lunchtime specials.
- New Caledonia Cafeteria – great-value breakfasts and Thai meals. Asian décor, cocktails and happy hours. In the hotel of the same name, 150m west along Rue Auguste Brun.
- La Chaumière (27 24 62) – classy French, but also Asian food and bulging burgers. Check out the daily specials. Just around the corner, 150m northwest of the hotel.
- Le Best Café (25 10 10) – next to Hôtel Le Paris, 500m up Rue de Sebastopol. Grills, pasta, homemade pastries, salads and huge breakfasts. Popular hangout with snooker table, internet lounge and giant TV screens.
- L’Annexe (25 33 15) – enchanting position alongside a pond in the Place des Cocotiers park, about 1km to the north. Always busy for light meals, coffee and ice cream.
- Market or Grocery: Plenty of convenience stores and minimarts around the streets in the city centre.
Bus 10 and 11 head to the beaches at Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons. The nearest stop is alongside the amusement rides on Rue Georges Clemenceau street.
Gondwana Hotel – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Family Hotels in New Caledonia
- Hotel Beaurivage – Review
- Casa del Sole – Review
- Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa – Review
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences – Review
- Hôtel du Centre – Review
- Hôtel New Caledonia – Review
- Hôtel Le Lagon – Review
- Le Méridien Noumea Resort & Spa – Review
- Hôtel Le Paris – Review
- Les Cases de Plum – Review
- L’Escapade Island Resort – Review
- Marina Beach Residence – Review
- Nouvata Hotel – Review
- Ramada Hotel & Suites – Review