Hotel Gondwana – New, chic, family-friendly, inner-city, and eco-friendly.
The lobby sets the scene, with Melanesian crafts along the walls and a funky lounge/library area bursting with colorful sofas. Noumea’s new hotel certainly brightens up the city streets and has won awards for use of sustainable materials. Rooms are a little undersized, although extra single beds can be squeezed in, if required. They’re modern and many are located around a communal courtyard. Those higher up are quieter, but views from most facing the front are blocked by wooden cladding, so get a room at the back. The quiet streets host a good array of facilities, and it’s close to the museums, markets, and bus station for services around the island.
Hotel Gondwana – The Basics
- Location: 19 Rue Auguste Brun, in the so-called ‘Latin Quarter’ (which is indistinguishable from the rest of central Noumea) on the main island. About 40 minutes from the international airport and 12 minutes from the domestic airport.
- Guests: The design and vibe would appeal more to younger travelers but all are welcome, especially families.
- Beach: There are no beaches in the inner city. The nearest is at Baie des Citrons, about 15 minutes south by bus (quicker by taxi).
- Views: Many rooms face the inner courtyard, while others overlook the quiet backstreets. Views from most rooms facing the front are, however, blocked by cladding.
- WiFi: Free for all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Secure off-street parking available for a fairly hefty rate.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (687) 269 799
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: gondwanahotel.nc
Hotel Gondwana – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of mid-range city hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Hotel Gondwana – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Not large enough to have one. Plenty of options along the city streets nearby (see below).
- Breakfast: May include a continental breakfast, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: None.
Hotel Gondwana – Rooms
- Room Types: Queen Room (some with 1 or 2 extra single beds) • Gondwana Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed in any rooms or anywhere else in the building.
- Best Room: On the top floor, the spacious Gondwana Suites provide the hotel’s finest views of the city and glimpses of the sea from the balconies.
- For families: Some Queen Rooms already have 1 or 2 extra single beds, but are cramped.
Hotel Gondwana – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Pause Café – Opposite the hotel entrance. Great for coffee, cakes, light lunches, and people-watching. Open early for breakfast. Also, lunchtime specials.
- La Chaumière – Classy French, but also Asian food and bulging burgers. Check out the daily specials. Just around the corner, 150m northwest of the hotel.
- Le Best Café – Next to Hôtel Le Paris, 500m up Rue de Sebastopol. Grills, pasta, homemade pastries, salads, and huge breakfasts. Popular hangout with snooker table, internet lounge, and giant TV screens.
- L’Annexe – Enchanting position alongside a pond in the Place des Cocotiers park, about 1 km to the north. Always busy for light meals, coffee, and ice cream.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Plenty of convenience stores and minimarts around the streets in the city center.
- Bus 10 and 11 head to the beaches at Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons. The nearest stop is alongside the amusement rides on Rue Georges Clemenceau street.
Hotel Gondwana – The Hotel
All New Caledonia Hotel Reviews
- Casa del Sole Apartments
- Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa
- Hilton Noumea La Promenade Residences
- Hotel Beaurivage
- Hôtel du Centre
- Hôtel Le Lagon
- Hôtel Le Paris
- L’Escapade Îlot Maître
- Le Méridien Nouméa Resort & Spa
- Les Cases de Plum
- Marina Beach Residence
- Ramada Hotel & Suites by Wyndham Noumea
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Where to Stay in New Caledonia
- Best Time to Visit New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Where to Stay in Bora Bora
- Best Time to Visit Bora Bora
- Fiji Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Tahiti Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu