by Santorini Dave • Updated: July 16, 2019
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – More spacious, family-friendly, and affordable than many hotels in the inner city.
This Novotel offers exactly what is expected from this renowned chain of four-star hotels. Beyond the slightly unexciting concrete-and-glass exterior, the lobby is quite fashionable and the amenities are impressive – from the free use of computers at the lobby to the stunning rooftop pool with sweeping city views. The rooms and suites are comfortable, functional, and colorful, without being opulent, and can squeeze in families of four. Conveniently situated between the airport and downtown, Novotel provides more space, better value, and finer views than most rivals in the city center. Additionally, it’s close to several terrific cafés and a metro station with direct links to the city center, airport, and other transport hubs.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – The Location
- Address: On Chamiers (Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar) Road in an inner-city suburban area called Anna Salai or Nandanam.
- Area: Faces a busy main road, but it’s on the edge of an affluent residential area, so some classy shops and cafés are nearby.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 35 minutes (11km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly business people from across India and elsewhere, but quite a few tourists, too.
- Views: As the only high-rise in the area, views are more sweeping than at many other city hotels. Rooms to the front face the main road, but windows are very well soundproofed.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at this sort of suburban business-style hotel.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to most rooms.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2430 2333
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: accorhotels.com
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: Could become a little crowded at times, but the setting on the rooftop is superb. However, limited space means not enough sunbeds.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Center: On the rooftop and facing the pool, it’s decent-sized and well-equipped.
- For Families: Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Free use of computers. Laundry. Boutiques. Business services.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Food Exchange – Wide selection of contemporary Indian and western food. Open-plan kitchen and children’s menu. • Gourmet Bar – Casual and popular meeting spot for locals. Meals available and live music on some nights.
- Breakfast: Not included in the rates, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7, but a limited menu overnight.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms (Twin or King Beds) • Premier Rooms (Twin or King Beds) • Executive Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms.
- Best Room: Executive Suites feature separate living areas and tend to be on higher floors, offering superior views.
- For Families: All types of accommodations can fit families of 4 (which is quite unusual), but it could be a tight squeeze. There’s more space in the Executive Suites.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Faces a busy road, so it’s not a great area for walking, especially with the broken sidewalks, but plenty of interesting shops and cafés nearby.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Nandanam – is about 800m away. 10-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
About 200m east of the hotel is a major junction with a flyover. Just up that road and within 100m of each other are:
- Café Coffee Day – One in a countrywide chain of reliable cafés selling drinks and light meals. 3-minute walk (220m).
- Ambrosia Café & Bakery – Delicious baked items. (Attached café was being renovated in mid-2019.) 3-minute walk (250m).
- Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant – Award-winning cuisine and authentic décor at pleasing prices. 3-minute walk (250m).
- Ikkakas Restaurant +01 (0)44 4860 1818 – Specializes in cuisine from the neighboring state of Kerala. Comfortable seating, friendly staff, and cheap prices. 3-minute walk (300m).
- About 500m from the Novotel, past the junction with the flyover, is a prominent Starbucks on a corner (7-minute walk). About 50m up the side-street from the Starbucks, Tryst Gourmet is an adorable café, patisserie, and supermarket (7-minute walk).
- Barely 50m past the Starbucks, and sharing the same building as each other, are a Subway and Fries Station, a delightful but tiny restaurant serving western and Indian food at very low prices. 7-minute walk.
Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road Hotel – The Hotel
- Ambassador Pallava – Review
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Review
- Courtyard Chennai – Review
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Review
- E Hotel – Review
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Review
- Hyatt Regency Chennai – Review
- La Woods Hotel – Review
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre – Review
- The Raintree, Anna Salai – Review
- Residency Towers Chennai – Review
- Taj Club House – Review
- Taj Connemara – Review
- The Residency Chennai – Review