Updated: May 22, 2018
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – a practical, affordable and completely renovated hotel, albeit a tad isolated.
Not to be confused with the sprawling sister hotel at Darling Harbour, this is located in Darling Square, about 1.5kms away. After a complete refurbishment in 2017, the rooms throughout this functional hotel are now similar, with only the size and views differing. The Standard Rooms are unfussy, bordering on bland, but spacious enough, and for families, an extra single bed can be squeezed in or the daybed converted. Rooms face Darling Square (being upgraded in 2018/19) or the Chinese Garden of Friendship across the flyover. And, don’t worry; the double-glazing is very effective. The overwhelming attraction is the location and proximity to the International Convention Centre, with the city centre about 15 minutes’ walk. Local transport is limited, but 200m away, Chinatown is packed with authentic eateries.
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – The Basics
- Location: On Little Pier Street, Darling Square; a shortish walk to Darling Harbour, Chinatown and the CBD.
- Guests: Mostly business people, especially those attending the Convention Centre.
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Views: Faces other buildings across the square, or an overpass and the Chinese Gardens at a distance.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests.
- Parking: A$46-55. Some parking onsite available, but not guaranteed.
- Phone: 8217 4000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.novotelsydneydarlingsquare.com.au
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – Amenities
- Pool: Heated and indoors, but more for doing laps than relaxing.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Centre: Small but adequate, with enough equipment.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Pumphouse Sydney Bar & Restaurant is historic and atmospheric. An open-air, traffic-free location offering modern Australian cuisine and 100+ varieties of beers. • Pier St Kitchen is an airy and bright brassiere on the ground floor, ideal for coffee and breakfast.
- Breakfast: Buffet breakfast costs an extra A$32.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard King Rooms • Standard Twin Rooms • Deluxe King Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The spacious Deluxe King Rooms provide the best views (of the Chinese Gardens) and some complimentary extras.
Novotel Sydney Darling Square – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Very close to Chinatown, with plenty of options:
- Golden Century Seafood Restaurant – popular for dim sum and live lobsters. 18-minute walk.
- Old Town Hong Kong Cuisine – stylish and large, with a wide variety; perfect for pork buns and Peking Duck. 16-minute walk.
- Yang San Park – Korean barbeque meals, with great service. 17-minute walk.
- Stacks Bar Restaurant – taverna with views, cocktails and barbequed grills. 13-minute walk.
- Braza Darling Harbour – fun Brazilian-style vibe, with roasted meat on a spit, and buffets. 13-minute walk.
A five-minute walk to the light-rail network (with limited stops), or 10 minutes on foot to the Central train station with connections all over the city.