Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – Lovely villas among massive gardens in a prime location alongside an attractive beach.
Within a compact and developed area of cafés, shops, and bars, but set back nicely from the main road, the Novotel ticks all the right boxes. Spread across vast gardens, it’s one of very few resorts anywhere in South Goa that actually leads directly to a beach, although no rooms offer views. Admirably not overbuilt, all accommodations are delightful and in detached and semi-detached one or two-level buildings, each a different color (which is typical of the region). Inside, they are particularly spacious and comfortable, featuring more thoughtful decorations and vibrant décor than at most rivals. Everything else is as expected – immaculate lawns and substantial pool – and the kids club, children’s pool, playground, and assorted activities make this resort perfect for families.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – The Location
- Address: On the main road through Cavelossim, a very likable enclave of tourist facilities and top-end hotels about midway along South Goa. (Most places in Goa don’t have a proper address.)
- Area: Lots of facilities along the main road and side streets. Unusually, the resort also backs onto the beach, but is not alongside the sea. (Authorities insist on at least 200m between the rooms and ocean.)
- How to Get There: From the airport (35 km, 60-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The nearest major train station is at Margao (Madgaon), 15 km away (30-minute drive).
- Handy to: Facilities and beaches at Cavelossim.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Foreign tourists, many on packaged tours, especially from Russia. Very popular with families.
- Kids Club: No dedicated area for children, but a range of activities offered according to age groups. Also, plenty of other stuff for the kids and families to do. (See Amenities below.)
- Views: All villas and suites face the gardens and pool, but they’re too far for ocean views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at a holiday resort like this in Goa.
- Extras: Newspaper delivered daily to each room.
- Parking: Enough places behind the gates.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)832 672 7777
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: accorhotels.com
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: Fabulous, with volleyball and other water games. Children’s pool attached. Can get very crowded, however, because the resort is so popular with packaged tours.
- Spa: The Sohum Spa is nicely positioned in a separate building at the back of the gardens. Offers a range of massages.
- Fitness Center: In a building next to the spa and decent enough.
- Activities: Water-sports on the beach. Archery. Tennis court. Futsal.
- For Families: Baby-sitting. Bicycle rental. Playground.
- Other Facilities: Travel desk. Money-exchange. Laundry. Boutiques. Business services.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: (All restaurants feature children’s menus.) Seagull – The main restaurant faces the pool and offers buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Family-friendly, but also some intimate tables for couples. Open-plan kitchens. • Mama Mia – Alongside the pool, it focuses on grills and seafood. Lovely setting under the trees. • Kebabs & Kurries – Classy Indian cuisine, but dinner only.
- Bars: Amalia – Terraced seating and pleasantly colorful décor. One level above the reception desks. Live music nightly. • Tia Maria – Poolside bar for cocktails, ice creams, fruit drinks, and light meals.
- Breakfast: Not included, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Executive Villa Rooms (King or Twin Beds) • Boutique Villa Rooms (King or Twin Beds) • Premium Villa Rooms • Premium Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking anywhere on the hotel grounds.
- Best Room: Premium Suites are even more bright and cheerful and the closest to the sea, but they don’t offer ocean views.
- For Families: Executive Villa Rooms have space for extra single beds, while all the other types of accommodations can squeeze in families of 4.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The main road has plenty to see, features a few sidewalks, and traffic is minimal. The resort rents bicycles, and the road is great for cycling, especially further south.
- Public Transport: Buses travel along the main road outside the resort gates every 10 minutes in both directions. They head south (3km) as far as the Leela resort, via The Fisherman’s Wharf café, and further north to Margao (Madgaon). The latter is a major regional town with frequent connections across Goa. No metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: A few auto-rickshaws (that won’t use meters), but no metered taxis. Uber/Ola don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but app-based rides can be arranged through Goa Miles, though really, the only option for longer trips are unmetered private ‘taxis’ arranged through the resort or with drivers who hang around the main road. Rates are overpriced but negotiable.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize this at the resort. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Coco-Hut – Casual bar at the end of the path to the beach from the resort pool.
- Robin’s Ark – Spacious and elegant roadside setting. Very popular for hearty western meals. In a shopping area almost opposite the resort gates.
- Mike’s Place – Long-established hangout 200m down a side street almost across from the resort gates. Lovely setting in a converted mansion. Also, beach parties and live music.
- Hungry Shark – Casual and charming riverside position for seafood and live music. Signposted down a side street towards the Karma resort.
- Beach Cafés – Down the lane marked ‘James’s Beach Hut Café’, about 400m southwest. At the end of the lane (200m) are numerous cafés on the sand. The best is Q-Ba. Also accessible via the beach (see below).
- Also, multiple options at 2 nearby resorts: the neighboring Radisson Blu (400m) and Karma Royal, just up the road (500m).
- Along the main road are plenty of shops, including minimarts, moneychangers, and agencies offering boat trips, but no supermarkets or classy boutiques. Shop owners can be a bit pushy.
- Just a 2-minute stroll along a path within the resort grounds, the beach is wide and clean, but a little crowded in front of the resort; less so further south. Spread across the sand, a few casual cafés sell food and drinks and also rent out sunbeds and umbrellas. Waves can be rough at times, so always swim between the flags. Lifeguards operate between 10 am and sunset. Some limited water-sports are available from a hut on the beach in front of the resort.
Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Acron Candolim Regina
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai