Home > Oberoi Bengaluru Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Majestic, sumptuous, and downtown, yet with truly exceptional gardens.
The amazing Oberoi has an almost retro 1960’s design, although it is certainly as modern and luxurious as others in this India-based chain. What sets this award-winning hotel so far apart from rivals in Bengaluru, and even others across India, are the extraordinary gardens. Packed with lawns, trees, fish-filled ponds, and flowers, they are far nicer than even botanical gardens in most Indian cities, and also feature a waterfall and jogging track. The rooms, and especially the suites, are extremely elegant, and the amenities are excellent, particularly the tropical-style pool surrounded by frangipani trees and sunbeds. Yet remarkably, all this luxury, space, and greenery is in the midst of downtown – right next to a metro station and around the corner from a fabulous mall.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – The Location
- Address: 37-9 M.G. (Mahatma Gandhi) Road, in the inner city. The main building is 100m back from the road, while most rooms are even more distant.
- Area: Affluent business and shopping district along the eastern end of M.G. Road. Decent cafés and a metro station within a 5-minute walk. A large mall is just around the corner.
- How to Get There: From the airport (37km, 1-hour drive), take a metered taxi or arrange a pick-up with Uber or Ola (see below). Just as quick, and far cheaper, are the comfortable blue express buses (24 hours) that stop along M.G. Road. About 7km from the Bengaluru City (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) railway terminal and adjoining Majestic (Kempegowda) bus station (30-minute drive).
- Handy to: 1MG-Lido Mall.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly tourists rather than business people and government officials.
- Views: Most rooms face inwards, away from the main road, and overlook the extraordinary gardens within the hotel. Some rooms do face the front but are 100m+ from the main road.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this historic inner-city hotel.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)88 2558 5858
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: oberoihotels.com
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Amenities
- Pool: Large and inviting. With plenty of shade and brightly-colored sunbeds and umbrellas, it exudes a lovely tropical-resort feel.
- Spa: Very spacious and luxurious, it offers more treatments than just about anywhere else in the city. Yoga classes also available.
- Fitness Center: Huge and superbly equipped.
- Other Facilities: Express laundry. Travel desk. Money-exchange. Business center.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The main café (Le Jardin) and Chinese restaurant (Szechwan Court) were closed for renovations during mid-2019. • The Orchid Room – Elegant setting and silver service. • Rim Naam – Lovely garden setting with tables under a pavilion and facing a pond. Award-winning Thai food and live traditional music. • The Polo Club – Adorable colonial-style bar/lounge/café serving western favorites like salads, sandwiches, and burgers.
- Breakfast: Not included but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Luxury Rooms • Premier Rooms • Executive Suites • Deluxe Suites • Presidential Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms and suites.
- Best Room: Three times larger than the standard rooms, the Presidential Suites face almost private gardens from an extended terrace. Separate living/dining areas, pantries, and gorgeous marble bathrooms.
- For Families: The management is keen for families, so ask about extra single beds and connecting rooms.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel faces M.G. Road, which is very noisy and polluted, but walking along it is inevitable because it has plenty of facilities.
- Public Transport: The Namma (Bengaluru) Metro has limited services but does go to the main bus and train stations. (Ambitious plans to connect the airport have stalled indefinitely.) The nearest station – Trinity – is virtually outside the hotel. 1-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Very few taxis along the main road, so one is best arranged through reception. Otherwise, Uber and Ola are very common. For most trips around the city, auto-rickshaws are good enough, but drivers won’t use meters, so bargain hard.
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Pizza Hut – This familiar outlet (and a Starbucks) are just across the road from the hotel gates. (Use the metro underpass.) 3-minute walk (250m).
- Chianti Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar +91 (0)80 4375 5274 – Also in the same building as Pizza Hut, it offers an extended menu of food and wine in an authentic setting. 3-minute walk (250m).
- Taj MG Road – Adjacent to the Oberoi, this refurbished hotel offers: The Trinity Square (excellent meals and extensive buffets), Memories of China (authentic and popular), and ICE (trendy bar for cocktails and snacks). 4-minute walk (300m).
- Mamma Mexicana – One of several restaurants on the top floor of the 1MG-Lido Mall (see below). Long menu, fun décor, and well-priced. 6-minute walk (400m).
- This section of M.G. Road seems overrun by banks (none of which change money), but there are a few handicraft stores. The finest shopping is at 1MG-Lido Mall, just around the corner and north up from the junction with the flyover. It offers a games arcade, several great eateries (including familiar fast-food outlets), and a wonderful Foodhall outlet selling fresh and imported produce. The mall is open from 10 am to 10 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 10 pm weekends. 5-minute walk (400m).
The Oberoi, Bengaluru – The Hotel
All Bengaluru Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai