Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – A historic and quiet hotel with funky furnishings and a convenient location.
Everything about this place bursts with personality: the rooms, corridors, staff, and even the website. It’s built within a 130-year-old former wool store, so all rooms feature unpainted beams, pillars, and bricks, ironwork along the ceiling, and small windows. Even the desks are crafted from materials from the original building, but the décor and furniture are ultra-chic, with brightly-painted walls, dangling bulbs for lamps, and a desk loaded with state-of-the-art gadgets. The aptly-named Shoebox room is compact and has an internal window. Some King Rooms directly face an overpass (but all rooms are remarkably sound-proofed), the split-level Loft is spacious, and the Junior Suite is especially colorful. Along a suburban street and dwarfed by neighboring hotels, the Ovolo is just steps from Darling Harbour with its countless shops, cafés, and bars.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – The Location
- Area: Murray Street, just around the corner from Darling Harbour.
- Address: 139 Murray Street.
- Nearest Transport: Bus – Harris St at Allen St (200m), Tram – Pyrmont Bay (500m), Ferry – Pyrmont Bay (600m) and Darling Harbour Jetty (750m).
- Handy to: Darling Harbour, Tumbalong Park.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – The Basics
- Guests: While families are welcome, the overwhelming theme is young and modern, perhaps making it more ideal for young couples or groups.
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Views: Of buildings and the side-street, or road to the front. Suites have some distant harbor views.
- Parking: A$39 for 24 hours’ access to a private carpark across the road.
- Nice Perks: Free minibar, happy hour, and breakfast if booked directly through the hotel.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)2 8586 1888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: ovolohotels.com.au
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Amenities
- Pool & Spa: Not expected or provided in this boutique heritage-listed hotel. The Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre is about 1 km away.
- Fitness Center: Guests can access the 24-hour Snap Fitness gym nearby.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Lo Lounge in the atrium is open 24 hours for light meals, platters, and drinks, and is particularly sociable.
- Breakfast: Continental breakfast is included if booked directly through the hotel.
- Room Service: Not available.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Rooms
- Room Types: Shoebox • Queen • King • King Deluxe • Loft • Junior Suites • Two Suites called ‘Shaken’ and ‘Stirred’ • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The ‘Stirred’ suite features a rooftop patio and full-length windows with decent city views and glimpses of the harbor at a distance.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Darling Harbour provides a seemingly endless array of places to eat and drink, including:
- Blue Fish – Superb seafood with outdoor waterside setting.
- Harbour Bar & Kitchen – Pasta, barbecue ribs, and happy hours.
- Cyren Bar Grill Seafood – Harbor-side views, fish platters, and barbecued ribs.
- Hard Rock Café Sydney – Burgers, cocktails, and musical memorabilia from the renowned chain.
- Convenient for the light-rail network (with limited stops to the city center). Otherwise, walk for 15 minutes across the footbridge to a train station in downtown.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – The Hotel
- Sydney Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Sydney
- Best Hotels for Families in Sydney
- Where to Stay in Sydney
- Sydney Hotel Map
- Sydney Hotel Reviews
- Best Time to Visit Sydney
- Best Hotels in Brisbane
- Best Family Hotels in Brisbane
- Where to Stay in Brisbane
- Best Time to Visit Brisbane
- Melbourne Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Melbourne
- Best Hotels for Families in Melbourne
- Where to Stay in Melbourne
- Best Time to Visit Melbourne