Updated: May 22, 2018
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – a historic and quiet hotel with funky furnishings and a convenient location.
Everything about this place bursts with personality: the rooms, corridors, staff and even the website. It’s built within a 130-year-old former wool store, so all rooms feature unpainted beams, pillars and bricks, ironwork along the ceiling, and undersized windows. Even the desks are crafted from materials from the original building, but the décor and furniture are ultra-chic, with garishly-painted walls, dangling bulbs for lamps, and a desk loaded with state-of-the-art gadgets. The aptly-named Shoebox is squeezy and has an internal window. Some King Rooms directly face an overpass (but all rooms are remarkably sound-proofed), while the split-level Loft is spacious, and the Junior Suite especially colourful. Along a suburban street and dwarfed by neighbouring hotels, the Ovolo is a two-minute stroll to Darling Harbour, with countless shops, cafés and bars.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – The Basics
- Location: 139 Murray Street, just around the corner from Darling Harbour.
- Guests: While families are welcome, the overwhelming theme is young and modern. Perhaps, more ideal for young couples or groups.
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Views: Of buildings and the side-street, or road to the front. Suites have some distant harbour views.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free if booked directly with the hotel; otherwise, a charge may apply.
- Parking: A$39 for 24 hours’ access to a private carpark over the road.
- Nice Perks: Free minibar, happy hour and breakfast if booked directly through the hotel.
- Phone: 8586 1888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.ovolohotels.com.au/ovolo1888darlingharbour
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Amenities
- Pool & Spa: Not expected or provided in this boutique heritage-listed hotel. The Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre is about 1km away.
- Fitness Center: Guests can gain access to the 24-hour Snap Fitness gym nearby.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Lo Lounge in the atrium is open 24 hours for light meals, platters and drinks, and is particularly sociable.
- Breakfast: Continental breakfast is included if booked directly through the hotel.
- Room Service: Not available.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – Rooms
- Room Types: Shoebox, Queen, King and King Deluxe Rooms • Loft • Junior Suites • Two suites called ‘Shaken’ and ‘Stirred’
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The ‘Stirred’ suite features a rooftop patio and full-length windows providing decent city views and glimpses of the harbour at a distance.
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Darling Harbour provides a seemingly endless array of places to eat and drink, including:
- Blue Fish – superb seafood with outdoor waterside setting. 7-minute walk.
- Harbour Bar & Kitchen – pasta, barbeque ribs and happy hours. 7-minute walk.
- Sorenzo Contemporary Japanese – waterside views, classy service and set menu. 8-minute walk.
- Cyren Bar Grill Seafood – harbour-side views, fish platters and barbequed ribs. 8-minute walk.
- Hard Rock Café Sydney – burgers, cocktails and musical memorabilia from the renowned chain. 8-minute walk.
Convenient for the light-rail network (with limited stops to the city centre). Otherwise, walk for 15 minutes across the footbridge to a train station in downtown.