Updated: May 22, 2018
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – a personality-plus hotel along a renovated wharf in the city centre.
Lovingly restored and almost resembling a maritime museum, the lounge/lobby of the Ovolo is instantly likeable, with colourful chairs and contemporary art. All rooms are designed within the old waterside buildings, so they feature the original beams and walls, as well as ironwork along the ceiling. All the ‘Deluxaroo’ rooms are airy and colourful (perhaps, overly so). The narrow Loft features a separate lounge area at the entrance level and two bathrooms, and can be easily converted for family use. Because the hotel is long and narrow, all rooms have views of the harbour, as well as the city skyline or some naval ships. The indoor pool is inviting and lined with cabanas. An easy walk away is Kings Cross (for nightlife), but it’s further on foot to the city centre via the magnificent Royal Botanic Gardens.
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – The Basics
- Location: On Cowper Wharf (aka Finger Wharf) in the inner-city suburb of Woolloomooloo. Close to Kings Cross and the city centre.
- Guests: Caters to families, but most guests would probably be couples or small groups on holidays.
- Pets: Not allowed.
- Views: All views are of the thin bay, some with the city centre in the distance.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests.
- Parking: Valet parking available for A$60 per night.
- Nice Perks: Free minibar, happy hours, breakfast and lolly bag if booked directly through the hotel.
- Phone: 9331 9000
- Email: Not provided on the website.
- Website: www.ovolohotels.com.au/ovolowoolloomooloo
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – Amenities
- Pool: Long and inviting, with attached Jacuzzi.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Center: Small but adequate, and faces the pool.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Alibi is a casual café in the impressive atrium, renowned for cocktails and modern cuisine created by (according to the website) the ‘plant-based chef’.
- Lounge/Bar: Lo Lounge is a convivial meeting place open 24 hours, with a stunning setting but indoors (so it’s less appealing than cafés along the wharf).
- Breakfast: Continental breakfast is included if booked through the hotel.
- Room Service: In-room service is available 24 hours.
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – Rooms
- Room Types: Superoo (standard) • Deluxaroo (deluxe) • King • Loft • Ultraroo • AC/DC Suites • INXS Suite
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within the hotel building
- Best Room: The ‘AC/DC Suite’ and ‘INXS Suite’ ooze elegance and chic, and offer the finest views from the top floors.
Ovolo Woolloomooloo – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There’s plenty of choice at Kings’ Cross (a 10-minute walk), or along the wharf. These places are popular and expensive:
- China Doll – innovative, contemporary Asian cuisine. 1-minute walk.
- Otto – stylish, modern Italian, with plenty of outdoor tables. 1-minute walk.
- Kingsley’s – steak and seafood with sophisticated service and gorgeous setting. 1-minute walk.
- Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel – opposite the wharf, with a ground-level bistro or balcony dining. 1-minute walk.
A 15-minute walk from three train stations.