Pal Haveli – So convenient, historic, and graceful – more like a museum than a hotel.
Almost two centuries old, this instantly likable hotel/guesthouse offers only twenty-one rooms. Most overlook the shady central courtyard, while others face another courtyard overflowing with antiques reminiscent of a movie about British India. Each room is lovingly and individually decorated with heirlooms from the Pal family which has lived in and operated the hotel for generations. The restaurants provide uniquely expansive city views because the haveli (manor) boasts arguably the premier location in Jodhpur: deep within the Old City and close to the iconic Clock Tower and Sardar Market, which is so pleasingly clean, quiet, and hassle-free.
Pal Haveli – The Location
(Not to be confused with the attached, associated, but separately-run Haveli Inn Pal.)
- Address: In the northern part of the Old City called Makrana Mohalla. Opposite Sardar Market, with the landmark Clock Tower in the middle.
- Area: Optimal area within the Old City. Historic, with the finest market, some colonial-era buildings, and many inviting cafés and shops within a short walk.
- How to Get There: About 6 km (15-minute drive) from the airport. At the attractive (and low-key) terminal, there are pre-paid booths for taxis and auto-rickshaws, but note: taxis cannot enter this part of the Old City. The train terminal (1.5 km) and main bus station (2.5 km) are also quite convenient, and best accessed by auto-rickshaw.
- Handy to: Sardar Market. Old City. Mehrangarh Fort.
Pal Haveli – The Basics
- Guests: Most seem to be older, perhaps 50-plus, who appreciate the historic setting and convenience.
- Views: Vary considerably. Rooms on the ground floor are dark and have limited windows. Even those on the higher floors don’t offer terrific views. The setting and history are the main selling points.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at a historic inner-city hotel like this in Jodhpur.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)291 653 3328
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: palhaveli.com
Pal Haveli – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Laundry. Souvenir shops.
Pal Haveli – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Indique – Rooftop with 360-degree views of the fort, market, and streets. Especially romantic when the fort is lit up after sunset. Bar attached. • Jodhana – Indoors and air-conditioned, with less interesting views of the stagnant lake. Traditional food and attentive service.
- Bar: 18th Century Bar – Packed (perhaps overly so) with antique furniture for a quintessential colonial-era experience.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Pal Haveli – Rooms
- Room Types: Heritage Rooms • Royal Heritage Suites • Historical Suites. Other less expensive rooms are in the attached Haveli Inn Pal. List of all Rooms.
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: The Historical Suites are the most spacious and most likely to offer views of the streets and market from a higher floor.
- For Families: Not really set up for families. The only option is 2 adjoining rooms (but not with connecting doors).
Pal Haveli – Local Transport
- Walking: The Old City is fascinating to wander around, but there are no sidewalks, so pedestrians share the scarily narrow streets and alleys with maniacal motorcyclists and anarchic auto-rickshaw drivers. Watch out for huge piles of fresh cow dung.
- Public Transport: Nothing of use for tourists anywhere in Jodhpur.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Taxis (unmetered) can be ordered through the hotel for day-trips, but can’t possibly enter the Old City. Auto-rickshaws are good enough for going anywhere in Jodhpur, and can be found around Sardar Market, about 50m from the hotel gates. Taxis and auto-rickshaws can also be ordered through the Ola and Uber apps.
Pal Haveli – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Panorama 360 – In the attached, associated, but separately-owned Havel Inn Pal guesthouse around the corner. Traditional Rajasthani cuisine and lovely rooftop terrace.
- Café Sheesh Mahal – Excellent coffee/tea and sandwiches, but little else. Come for the tranquility, air-conditioning, and street views. Also in Haveli Inn Pal.
- Café Kala Kariyan – Another top-notch eatery for watching the market below. Upstairs, and next to the Sheesh Mahal.
- Another fine selection is clustered around Stepwell, an ancient pond and square, also known as Tunwarji ka Jhalra, about 250m away. Head away from the market, and turn sharp right at the junction. Options include: Open House Cafe – Breezy, with beer • The Stepwell Café – Lofty views and comfy seats • Jharokha 360 – Rooftop views and classy Indian cuisine.
Nearby Shops & Markets
- Nicest area in the Old City, with several shops that could even be labeled ‘chic’ – especially around Stepwell (250m away). Sardar Market, barely 50m from the hotel gates, is clean, quiet, and hassle-free, so it’s fun to explore. Based around the iconic Clock Tower, the market is open all day every day.
- Jaswant Thada – Also known as the Taj Mahal of Mewar, a marble marvel amidst lush, landscaped gardens and next to a serene lake. The intricate marble lattice screens as well as the city views are superb. Easily paired with a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort. 9 am to 5 pm. (2.5 km).
- Mehrangarh Fort – This magnificent attraction dominates the Old City. The main entrance is about 3km by auto-rickshaw. Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace – An architectural marvel; one part of the palace still serves as a Royal Family residence, the rest has been converted to the Taj Hotel and museum. Only the museum is open to the public, and it’s very popular for the vintage car and clock collections and vast gardens with peacocks. Great spot for a romantic meal. 10 am to 4.30 pm. (5 km).
- Mandore Garden – Historic garden, home to beautiful empty tombs of the Royal Family. The Hall of Heroes, temple of 330 Million Gods, and Government Museum are worth seeing. Visitors can also explore the Mandore Fort ruins or have a picnic on the grounds. Located just outside the city. (8 km).
Pal Haveli – The Hotel
All Jodhpur Hotel Reviews
- Blue House
- Jaswant Niwas
- Jewel Palace Haweli
- Jhankar Haveli
- Rani Mahal
- Ratan Vilas
- Singhvi’s Haveli
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai