by Santorini Dave • Updated: February 6, 2019
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – Classy, convenient, and lower-priced resort with genuine beach frontage.
Among tropical gardens choked with palm trees, the bright and airy bungalows feature a chic Balinese décor, extensive veranda/balcony, open-air bathroom, and king-sized bed that dominates the room. Those with ‘sea views’ (more like glimpses) feature sliding doors to maximize views and breezes. It is built at sea level, so walking to nearby cafés and shops is not too strenuous, and on an upward bend in the road, so the pool, gardens, and café (but not rooms) can be a little noisy. But unusually, it does face a beach that isn’t rocky – although the sand is lined with fishing boats.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – The Location
- Address: Along Jalan Jaya Amed, the only road in Bunutan village. Midway section of the laidback area known as Amed, which stretches about 10km along the east coast of Bali.
- Area: Located at a steep hairpin bend and facing a beach (which is unusual). In a less developed area of Amed, but walkable to a few shops and restaurants.
- How to Get There: No taxi from the airport will come this far, so organize transfers by car through the hotel – which takes about 3 hours. Many people stop at Amed on the way to/from the Gili Islands, which is connected by speedboats run by Freebird Express and Gili Sea Express. Book at travel agencies at either end, or compare schedules and book online.
- Handy to: Snorkeling spots and scuba-diving agencies.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – The Basics
- Guests: All welcome, but the vibe is more about couples and smaller groups than families.
- Beach: The resort faces a beach, which is rare anywhere in Amed, but is crammed with fishing boats, so of little use for swimming or sunbathing. But the snorkeling within meters of the shore is superb.
- Views: All bungalows offer pleasant views of the gardens, but the few villas promising ‘sea views’ may disappoint.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: 1 villa and 1 of the rooms features a private pool.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Some limited free and secure parking available onsite, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 737 358
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: palmgardenamed.com
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – Amenities
- Pool: While rooms don’t suffer from traffic noise, the pool area is fairly noisy at times.
- Spa: Small but lovely traditional spa, with plenty of massages and other treatments offered.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of midrange resort in Amed.
- Other Facilities: Library. Tour agency can organize local trips.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Open-air and under a traditional bamboo roof, with a wide selection of Indonesian food as well as soups, salads, and seafood.
- Breakfast: Not usually included, but can be at an extra cost when booking or on the day.
- Room Service: Possibly available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 8 pm.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Garden Rooms • 1x Beachfront Bungalow with Pool • Garden Bungalows • 1x Beachfront Room with Pool • 1x Beach View Deluxe Room
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed in the rooms or public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The only Beachfront Bungalow with Pool is secluded and spacious, and features a sizeable private garden and open-air bathroom.
- For Families: The bungalows and 1 of the rooms can squeeze in an extra single bed, and the Beach View Deluxe Room contains an extra room with a single bed.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – Local Transport
- Note: All cars/buses enter Amed from the north (via Culik) because the road from the south (via Ujung) is too windy, narrow, and steep for anything but motorbikes.
- Walking: Amed is spread out, and the road often steep, so be prepared for a lot of walking.
- Public Transport & Shuttle Bus: No reliable public transport anywhere through Amed. Perama, the main operator of tourist shuttle buses throughout Bali, offers a couple of services daily to Kuta via Padangbai and Ubud – but, inconveniently, leaves from northern Amed. Other local companies connect to Lovina. Get shuttle bus tickets through the hotel or a nearby travel agency.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: No metered taxis anywhere, so charter a car with a driver through the hotel or a travel agency. Renting a motorbike is a terrific way to explore the east coast. Nowhere to rent a car, which is not recommended anyway because of the condition of local roads.
Palm Garden Amed Beach & Spa Resort Bali – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Amed Paradise – Decent range of meals. Conveniently located opposite the hotel entrance. 2-minute walk.
- Within 500m up the road (to the east) are:
- Imbuh – At a peak in the road. The menu is limited, but views among the finest in Bali. 3-minute walk.
- Good Karma Restaurant [(0)813 3753 1133] – Casual dining with rare beach frontage. 5-minute walk.
- My Place Bar & Restaurant – Cozy and congenial, perfect for authentic Balinese food. 6-minute walk.
- Green Melon Warung – Classic Amed-style eatery: small and friendly with simple meals at very cheap prices. 8-minute walk.
- Minimart within 200m northwest along the road, but virtually nowhere in Amed to shop. 3-minute walk.
- Amed is not close to anything, which is part of the attraction. But the main reason many come here is for snorkeling, accessible just offshore at nearby Selang Beach, and scuba-diving, which can be arranged at any of the numerous agencies dotted along Amed.