• Location: 3 buildings Fontainhas.
• Hotel website: panjiminn.com
• Hotel phone: +91 (0)832 222 1122
• WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – Check prices on Booking.com
This combined guesthouse is based in three beautifully-restored and brightly-painted former colonial buildings, offering considerable beauty, history, and grace in separate locations across a junction in the sleepiest part of the old city. Sharing one reception area, they offer unique accommodations unseen at competitors. Every room is different and filled with attractive old-fashioned furniture – whether upstairs and facing the junction in a former elite school, down a lane and surrounded by art. or within the original guesthouse notable for its balcony. Adding to the immense appeal are the terrace restaurant, plunge pool on the rooftop, courtyards with wrought iron tables, guest lounges overflowing with antique furniture, and art gallery.
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – The Location
- Address: In the suburb of Fontainhas in the old part of Panaji (Panjim), the state capital. Rooms are spread across 3 separate buildings about 100m apart. Each building is virtually at a junction of the main street, Rua 31 de Janeiro (31st January Road), and a lane to the Ourém River. Easy to find and well-signposted. The reception area is in the Panjim Inn (with the balcony).
- Area: Delightful section of the old city which is packed with brightly-colored colonial-era buildings. The 3 annexes of the guesthouse are nicely set back from the main thoroughfares, so traffic is minimal. About 50m west of the secondary river, Ourém, and 600m south of the main river, Mandovi.
- How to Get There: From the airport (25 km, 45-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The guesthouse is 1.5 km from the Panaji KTC bus stand, which has connections all over Goa. The train station at Margao (Madgaon) is 35 km (60-minute drive) and at Vasco da Gama is 30 km (45-minute drive) away.
- Handy to: Old city of Panaji (Panjim)
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – The Basics
- Guests: Foreign tourists, usually older, who relish the setting, history, and serenity.
- Views: Hit-and-miss, as expected of renovated old buildings. Most rooms on the upper floor of the 2 main buildings (Panjim Inn and Panjim Peoples) overlook the main street, which is quiet, while those in the Panjim Pousada annex face an internal courtyard or nearby building.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of historic inner-city guesthouse in Goa.
- Parking: Nowhere on-site but the public carpark behind the building facing the junction (Panjim Peoples) should be safe enough.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates for both properties.
- Phone: +91 (0)832 222 1122
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: panjiminn.com
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – Amenities
- Pool: The jacuzzi-cum-plunge pool on the rooftop is a surprise and the only modern aspect of the 3 buildings. Sunbeds alongside.
- Spa: The M Salon provides a few interesting treatments.
- Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
- Other Facilities: Gitanjali Art Gallery. Laundry.
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: On the balcony of the main building, The Veranda Restaurant is delightful. Ideal for a drink while staring at the street below. Better, stay for a hearty meal of Goan, Indian, or western food. Bar on a lower level.
- Breakfast: Decent buffet breakfast is included and served in the adorably old-fashioned dining room in the main building.
- Room Service: Some limited service during restaurant hours – 7 am to 9 pm – in the main building only (Panjim Inn).
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard, Deluxe, and Superior Rooms (Panjim Inn) • Superior Rooms (Panjim Peoples) • Standard and Deluxe Rooms (Panjim Pousada)
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but allowed in the courtyards.
- Best Room: Hard to say because they’re all so different and charming. Probably the Superior Rooms in the Panjim Peoples annex. Superbly renovated, these are spacious and packed with antique furniture.
- For Families: There’s not much space in the rooms for extra single beds, but ask the helpful management.
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – Local Transport
- Walking: Fantastic area to wander about, but the sidewalks along the narrow streets can be awkward at times.
- Public Transport: No metro or any local trains of use to tourists. To reach the beaches, take a public bus from the Panaji KTC bus stand to the regional hubs of Mapusa for the north or Margao (Madgaon) for the south.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The few black-and-yellow taxis have meters, but drivers won’t use them. These are best arranged through reception. App-based rides, Uber and Ola, don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but the local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying. A few auto-rickshaws are available for local trips, but of course, they also refuse to use their meters.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize through the hotel. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Bombay Coffee Roasters – Unassuming corner position, but far larger than expected. Popular hangout on 2 levels for drinks, sandwiches, light meals, and free Wi-Fi. 90m south down the main street.
- Desbue – Unique menu of tempting ‘European fusion’ meals. Gorgeous décor and excellent service add to the appeal. Bright-green building on a corner 120m north up the main street.
- Viva Panjim – Easy to miss down an alley, the setting is serene and the décor, fascinating. Focus on Goan cuisine. Just past Desbue.
- Mamaramma – Limited menu but delightfully cozy setting. Light meals, daily specials, and world-class coffee. Adjacent to the lovely old St. Sebastian’s chapel. Head up the street from the guesthouse and take the first left.
- Venite Bar & Restaurant – Charming upstairs location. Fascinating décor and tiniest possible balconies hovering over the sidewalk. Easy to miss in the guesthouse of the same name, north up the main street. (500m).
- Down the Road & Riverfront Restaurant – Overlooking the old bridge, the views and food at the Riverfront are excellent. Down the Road bar/nightclub is on a lower floor. Head east to the Ourém River (50m) and turn left (north). (500m).
- The streets and narrow alleys of the old city are lined with all sorts of interesting shops, but they’re mostly for locals, not tourists.
- The fascinating old city has some of the finest examples of colonial-era buildings anywhere in India. Beautifully renovated or delightfully crumbling, and often painted bright blue or yellow, they are dotted all over the streets near the hotel. But note: this is not Old Goa, which is about 10 km east.
WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Panjim Pousada, & Panjim Peoples – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Acron Candolim Regina
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai