Home > Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle Review
Updated: September 24, 2020
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – Adorable, chic, and historical boutique hotel in a popular beachside suburb.
This surprisingly large hotel has a quite fascinating design: the façade and reception are part of a heritage building and rooms are within shipping containers, perhaps fitting as Fremantle is a rejuvenated port. The Cabin Rooms within one container are compact, if a little undersized, but feature stunning marble bathrooms and extras like espresso machines, while the State Rooms are based in two containers and thus are twice the size. Unashamedly minimalist, the Hougoumont has no pool or spa – or even a café/bar – but breakfast and bicycle rentals are free. And the location is a winner: along a quiet side-street, yet only meters from the center of this bustling seaside suburb about a half-hour by train from downtown Perth.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – The Location
- Address: 15 Bannister Street, Fremantle, a seaside suburb in western Perth. Almost on the corner of the main road through Fremantle where Market Street becomes South Terrace.
- Area: Fremantle is a historical and re-energized district at the mouth of the Swan River which flows through downtown Perth. Still a busy port for cargo ships and cruise liners, Freo (as it’s lovingly called) is packed with places to eat, drink, and shop, most within a few minutes’ walk of the hotel.
- How to Get There: Fremantle is only 30 minutes by train from the Perth and Perth Underground stations in the city center. The lovely old railway station in Freo is north along the main road (Market Street) from the hotel (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk). Alternatives from downtown Perth are the bus, which is too slow, or scenic cruises from Elizabeth Quay.
Confusingly, there are 4 terminals across the separate (but nearby) international (18 miles, 40-minute drive) and domestic (19 miles, 45-minute drive) airports. Only real options are door-to-door shuttle buses by Perth City Shuttle or Just Transfers and taxis for about A$75. (See ‘Local Transport’ below for more information about taxis and ride-shares.) Free shuttle buses operate 24/7 between the 2 airports. Note: Always double-check which terminal your flight arrives at/departs from.
- Handy to: Beaches. Fremantle Passenger Terminal. Ferries to Rottnest Island.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – The Basics
- Guests: Hotels in Fremantle mostly cater to tourists. The Hougoumont would suit single travelers and couples, especially those on a budget.
- Pets: Only service animals (e.g. guide dogs) are allowed.
- Views: Most rooms face the fascinating mural on a wall across the car park, but views are not a selling point.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this suburban boutique hotel.
- Extras: Free 1-hour wine-and-cheese get-togethers at the lounge near the reception. Free bicycle hire and use of computers in the lobby.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Available at a secure outdoor parking lot next to the hotel for a daily fee.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)8 6160 6800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hougoumonthotel.com
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – Amenities
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No café or bar on-site, but many options close by.
- Breakfast: Simple but filling continental breakfast is included.
- Room Service: Not available as there is no café on-site. Free tea/coffee, water, and fruit available in the lobby.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Cabin Rooms • Deluxe Cabin Rooms • State Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed within the hotel premises.
- Best Room: The State Rooms are twice as large as the others, but the décor is more or less the same. Rooms on the higher floors will offer slightly better views.
- For Families: No space in any room for an extra single bed and none have connecting doors. Much better options for families are available nearby, such as the Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The center of Fremantle is compact and such a pleasure for walking. With far less traffic than downtown Perth and many dedicated paths, Freo is also ideal for cycling. Bikes can be rented for free from the hotel or the visitor center at Kings Square (0.2 mile, 3-minute walk).
- Buses: Like the center of Perth, 2 free CAT bus services (coded Blue and Red) loop around Fremantle connecting the sights, main streets, local train station, and superior beach to the south (see below).
- Taxis & Ride-shares: There is a taxi rank outside the Esplanade Hotel (0.2 mile, 5-minute walk). Otherwise, organize a pick-up through the 2 major companies: Swan Taxis (phone 131330) and Black & White Cabs (phone 133222). Ride-shares are also available through Uber, Ola, and DiDi.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – What’s Nearby?
Most restaurants serve alcohol and all pubs offer meals. Barely 50m (1-minute walk) from the hotel, Market Street and its extension, South Terrace are packed with fabulous places to eat and drink. Many are competitively priced, such as Dôme in an historical corner building (100m, 2-minute walk). More scenic are the bistros along the revitalized Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour precinct (via the park), including:
- Joe’s Fish Shack – With indoor tables overlooking the water, it’s always popular for its seaside vibe, funky décor, and award-winning fish and chips. 8-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- Cicerello’s – Huge place perched alongside and above the water. Serving fish and chips for about 120 years, but much more is also available, including Italian favorites. Family-friendly and aquariums to admire. 8-minute walk (0.4 mile)
- Kaili’s Fishmarket Café – Almost 100 years old and renowned for its menu, including fish and chips rated among Freo’s finest. Magical waterside setting. 9-minute walk (0.5 mile).
- Bathers Beach House – Directly overlooking the beach. Tables along the side street and – uniquely – lounge chairs on the sand. Legendary sunsets and locally-brewed beer. 9-minute walk (0.5 mile).
There is no shortage of shops and other amenities only 50m around the corner from the hotel.
- Fremantle Markets – Located inside a delightful colonial-era building for over 120 years. About 150 stalls sell food and souvenirs on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. 3-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- E Shed Markets – More gifts and souvenirs and a fabulous food court at the lively port area near the hotel. Open Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. 10-minute walk (0.5 mile).
- Tourist Wheel Fremantle – Dominating Esplanade Park near the beach, it features Freo’s finest views from 40m in the air. 7-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- WA Maritime Museum – Learn about the history of Fremantle as an old port and modern suburb. In the port area. 11-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- Beaches – Bathers Beach (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk) is slightly disappointing compared to others like Scarborough. Better is South Beach, which is great for families and provides enchanting views of nearby islands. It is a delightful walk from the hotel via a coastal path or jump on the free Blue CAT bus. 15 minutes (1.5 miles).
- Rottnest Island – Adorable, vehicle-free island offering sublime beaches for swimming and snorkeling, cycling paths, seaside cafés, and arguably the world’s cutest critters: the native, super-friendly, and ultra-photogenic quokkas. About 30 minutes from the port area by Sealink and Rottnest Express.
Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – The Hotel
All Perth Hotel Reviews
- The Adnate
- Alex Hotel
- DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Northbridge
- Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges
- Holiday Inn Perth City Centre
- ibis Styles East Perth Hotel
- Mercure Perth
- Novotel Perth Murray Street
- QT Perth
- Quay Perth
- Ramada VetroBlu Scarborough Beach
- The Ritz-Carlton, Perth
- Seashells Scarborough
- Tribe Perth