Updated: May 22, 2018
This hotel was crafted within a converted warehouse on a pier almost underneath the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge. Hence, the hotel maintains the original structure, with rooms containing wooden beams, steel pillars, ironwork across the ceilings, and – sadly – undersized windows. The lovely standard rooms provide an ambience rarely experienced in city-centre high-rises. With polished floorboards and a marble-top desk, the overwhelming white décor does, however, need some colour. On the ground floor, double doors lead to a pointless patio, with thick wooden slats that help ensure privacy but completely spoil any harbour views. The rooms on the upper floors offer more colour and a different layout, while interconnecting rooms are available for families. A harbour-side path from The Pier One finishes at the renowned Sydney Opera House and passes The Rocks (for cafés) and Circular Quay (for trains and ferries).
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection – The Basics
- Location: Hickson Road, at the northern end of The Rocks.
- Guests: Seems primarily designed for couples and small groups of holiday goers.
- Pets: Allowed in ground floor rooms with a ‘cleaning fee’ of A$90.
- Views: Of the thin bay from both sides, but far better in the suites on the upper floors.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests.
- Parking: Available for A$55 per day.
- Phone: 8298 9777
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.pieronesydneyharbour.com.au
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection – Amenities
- Pool & Spa: Not expected or provided in this heritage-listed boutique hotel.
- Fitness Centre: Free access to the well-equipped Aspire Fitness gym alongside.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Gantry Restaurant & Bar features an award-winning chef and vast menu, with plenty of options for vegetarians • The Kerrigan is a casual café/bar with a heavenly waterside setting, and specialises in grilled meat and seafood
- Lounge/Bar: The Pier One Bar is trendy and popular for its harbour-side setting and fancy cocktails.
- Breakfast: Included in some hotel rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection – Rooms
- Room Types: Admiral Suites • Harbour View Balcony Suites • Walsh Bay Suites • Harbour View Suites • Hickson Suites • Waterside King rooms • Heritage Superior or King rooms
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The Admiral Suites boast divine views across the harbour from the floor-to-ceiling windows and extensive balcony.
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
The Rocks is heaving with superb places to eat and drink, including:
- Wild Ginger Dining & Bar – refined Thai restaurant, specialising in seafood, with superb views. 7-minute walk.
- Water – attached to the hotel, huge, classy and faces the harbour
- Caminetto – pasta, pizza, veal and wine, particularly intimate and romantic. 7-minute walk.
- Quay – multi-award-winning, with modern cuisine and sublime views. 9-minute walk.
- Harbour View Hotel – friendly pub with affordable meals, but views blocked long ago. 5-minute walk.
Less than 10 minutes on foot to Circular Quay, with a train station and ferry terminal.