Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Lavish, historic, and intimate, staying here is a royal experience.
With glittering chandeliers, luxurious antique furniture, and fine carpets, this charming seven-room hotel is an exquisite restoration of a circa 1415 building. Look up almost anywhere and you’ll see whimsical period paintings on the ancient timber beams. Each of the palatial rooms is named after a gemstone, and the massive Decastello Suite, with an old-timey kitchenette decorated with copperware, is one of the most sought-after rooms in town. There are touches that bring guests together like optional round table breakfasts and daily wine and cheese tastings, giving the hotel a glimmer of a B&B vibe, but the attentive service, including an optional personal butler, brings it back into the realm of fine hotels. The location just beneath Prague Castle can’t be beaten.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Location
- Address: Snemovni 164/8, Malá Strana, Prague.
- Nearest Metro/Subway: Malostranská (0.3 mile).
- Area: Prime location just below Prague Castle and close to many major sites in Malá Strana, but on a cobblestone street adjacent to a darling little park. It’s also only an 11-minute walk (0.4 mile) to Prague Castle and about 9 minutes (0.5 mile) to the incredibly scenic Charles Bridge, where you can cross the Danube River and head into Old Town.
- How to Get There: It’s a 4-minute walk (0.2 mile) to the Malostranské Náměstítram stop where you can hop on the useful #97 tram that runs across the Legion Bridge at the border of Old and New Towns. It’s also a 6-minute walk (0.3 mile) to the Malostranská Metro station, but the tram will almost always be a better option. It takes about 30 minutes (9 miles) to reach the hotel by cab from Václav Havel Airport Prague and about 12 minutes (3 miles) from Praha Hlavní Nádraží train station.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €30 from Václav Havel Airport Prague – but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
- Handy to: Prague Castle, St Nicholas Church, Nerudova Street.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel attracts mostly couples on a city break and people over 40, including some families.
- View: Rooms have views of either the rooftops of beautiful Malá Strana, the palace gardens, or the pretty cobblestone street and park in front of the hotel.
- Parking: Valet parking is available with the garage at the Alchymist Grand Hotel & Spa, a 7-minute walk (0.3 mile), for €35 per night.
- Extras: Option to hire a private butler for your stay, who can also act as a tour guide. Occasional piano concerts in the music room. Daily wine and cheese tastings. Complimentary homemade chocolates.
- When to Book: 1-2 months in advance for dates in May to September and in December around the Christmas holidays. Book even farther ahead for the Decastello Suite. At other times, 2 weeks ahead should suffice.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +420 257-286-960
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: alchymistpraguecastle.com
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Amenities
- Spa: There’s a large and elegant spa that offers a private jacuzzi, sauna, and massage room.
- Fitness Center: This unusual gym in a large and bright 15th-century room adorned with paintings is a real standout feature and has a wide range of equipment.
- For Disabled Guests: The cobblestone streets to get here and the old construction of this hotel make it a challenging choice for anyone with mobility issues, but there are an elevator and butler services for extra assistance.
- For Families: While not geared toward families, the hotel has some good room options for families, including the Decastello Suite with its pull-out bed and kitchenette. There are no connecting rooms.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: No restaurant, but transfers are available to places nearby, and many fine places to eat are only a few minutes’ walk away.
- Lounge/Bar: There’s no bar but there are wine and cheese tastings daily in the late afternoon. There are plenty of very luxurious living areas on the ground floor that guests are encouraged to use.
- Breakfast: Complimentary. Served at a big round table in the dining room if you choose to mingle with other guests, or you can take it up to the terrace or your own room. 8-11:30 am.
- Room Service: Breakfast in bed is available from the restaurant.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe • Decastello Suite • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: The Alchymist Prague Castle Suites is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The Decastello Suite is booked months in advance, and with good reason. On the top floor, the views from its balcony over Malá Strana are sublime. The architecture, blending opulence with historical touches, makes it very special and memorable. It also has a kitchenette with cool antique copperware on the wall and direct elevator access.
- For Families: The Decastello Suite is the best choice since it has a pull-out bed in addition to the king bed, a total of 70sqm of space, and a kitchenette. Another option is to book 2 Deluxe rooms next to each other, although there are no connecting rooms.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – Local Transport
- Walking: This is walking heaven. Head uphill 11 minutes (0.4 mile) for a bit of a workout and reach Prague Castle, or head down a slight slope for 9 minutes (0.4 mile) to get to Charles Bridge. Or just wander aimlessly because every corner of this neighborhood is a delight.
- Subway and Bus: Tram is your best choice here with the Malostranské Náměstítram stop only a 4-minute walk (0.2 mile) away.
- Taxis, Uber, Lyft: Uber works well in Prague, or ask the hotel to arrange a taxi or private driver for you.
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Prague Stories by Alena – A special crew leading excellent specialty tours around the city – from Jewish history to shopping. Start location: Hotel pick-up.
- Taste of Prague – Small (up to 10 people) 4-hour tours geared toward teaching about Czech culture via delicious food. Led by a local guide and includes beer and wine too. Start location: Depends on tour.
- Prague Venice – Set off in a Venetian-style gondola from underneath the Charles Bridge for these well-run and fun 45-minute boat tours. Start location: 0.7 mile.
- Historical Tram No 41 – This old-fashioned tram is a fun activity for families and runs on weekends, spring through fall, from the Museum of Transportation to the Výstaviště exhibition area about 2 miles away. Start location: Pražský hrad stop near Prague Castle (0.7 mile).
Best Nearby Restaurants
- U Zlaté Studne – Fine Czech dining at the Golden Well Hotel with one of the best views in town. Just around the corner.
- Augustine – Fine European/Czech dining in a beautiful old monastery courtyard at the Augustine Hotel. (0.2 mile).
- Amorino Gelato – Great gelato and sorbets, perfect for summer days. (0.2 mile).
- Malostransky Hostinec – Traditional Czech fare in a similarly traditional setting with a view of the castle and over 50 beers to choose from. (0.2 mile).
- CODA Restaurant – Fine Czech dining at the Aria Hotel with one of the best views in town. (0.3 mile).
- Café de Paris – Simple, elegant café serving French basics in a cozy atmosphere. (0.4 mile).
- Hergetova Cihelna – It’s all about the river view here, although the food – Mediterranean to Asian – is good too. (0.5 mile).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- U Glaubicu – Cavernous, classic Czech pub that also serves hearty, homestyle food. (0.3 mile).
- Bluelight – Hip cocktail bar with graffiti and memorabilia adorned walls. (0.3 mile).
- U Staré Studny – Cognac and wine bar with a menu of over 100 noble spirits, many from small producers. (0.3 mile).
- U Maleho Glena – Excellent, long-running jazz bar with live acts and Sunday jam sessions. (0.3 mile).
- Mourenina Wine Bar – Friendly staff and excellent wines paired with small bites. (0.3 mile).
- Vinograf – Excellent wine bar where you can discover the best Bohemian and Monrovian wines. (0.4 mile).
- Vojanuv Dvur Brewery – First microbrewery in Malá Strana, opened in 2018. It has a great front terrace. (0.4 mile).
Best Nearby Cafe
- Malostranska Kavarna – Classic old-school café that was once a haunt of Franz Kafka. (0.2 mile).
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- ARTĚL Design Store – Find traditional Bohemian handblown glassware at this gorgeous shop. (0.4 mile).
- Shakespeare & Sons – Legendary bookshop and literary hub. (0.4 mile).
- Loutky Marionettes – Fun shop with tons of whimsical to spooky traditional and handmade Czech puppets. (0.4 mile).
- The Chemistry Design Store – Ever-changing collection of art to ceramics and jewelry by Czech designers. (0.5 mile).
- St Nicholas Church – Stunning baroque church, inside and out, that dominates the Malá Strana neighborhood. (0.1 mile).
- Nerudova Street – This famous and picturesque street, full of souvenir shops, leads up to Prague Castle. (0.2 mile).
- Wallenstein Garden – Peaceful baroque garden and one of the few beautiful and connecting green spaces in this part of town. (0.4 mile).
- Museum of the Infant Jesus of Prague – Located in the Church of Our Lady Victorious, this 17th-century statue of baby Jesus from Spain is said to have protected the city of Prague ever since. The museum features the infant’s impressive wardrobe of outfits. (0.4 mile).
- John Lennon Wall – A work of graffiti art, this wall started as a portrait of John Lennon and since 1989, has been a place where many have left their messages of peace. (0.4 mile).
- Charles Bridge – Ancient pedestrian bridge filled with statues, buskers, crowds and beautiful views of Prague. Walk across to get to the old and new centers of the city. (0.4 mile).
- Prague Castle – Prague’s number one sight is a massive hilltop complex housing grand royal buildings, museums, and gardens. (0.4 mile).
- St Vitus Cathedral – 14th-century cathedral and a masterpiece with gargoyles on the outside, stained glass on the inside, and ceilings and spires that seem impossibly high. (0.5 mile).
Nearby Market or Grocery Store
- Vacek Bio Market – Well-stocked little market. (0.3 mile).
Alchymist Prague Castle Suites – The Hotel
All Prague Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Prague
- Best Hotels for Families in Prague
- Best Boutique Hotels in Prague
- Best Budget Hotels in Prague
- Where to Stay in Prague
- Best Time to Visit Prague
- Best Hotels in Berlin
- Best Hotels for Families in Berlin
- Best Boutique Hotels in Berlin
- Where to Stay in Berlin
- Best Time to Visit Berlin