by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 15, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – Small, traditional, and mid-priced – a rarity in Seminyak.
Certainly not a ‘resort’ (despite the name), this family-run hotel offers a limited number of rooms with far more seclusion and privacy than some five-star resorts. Although recently renovated, it still retains an old-fashioned charm in its design, setting, and service. Rooms feature genuine Balinese décor, with ornately-carved doors, high thatched ceilings, and wooden balconies, as well as plentiful arts/crafts, four-poster beds, and rattan furniture. The gardens are well-kept and the pool is inviting, although both suffer a little from street noise. It is along a dead-end street lined with bistros and boutiques, and a short stroll from the beach, which is however grey and less appealing than Kuta’s.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – The Location
- Address: Near the end of Jalan Camplung Tanduk street in the southern end of Seminyak, a more sophisticated tourist region of southern Bali.
- Area: Along a dead-end street and about 250m from Seminyak Beach. There are plenty of facilities all over, and more cafés and bars along the beach in both directions, thus ensuring the resort is not as isolated as others in Seminyak. The beach and facilities at Legian are accessible along a lovely beachside path to the south.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (11km), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Seminyak and Legian.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – The Basics
- Guests: Caters well for all but most guests seem to be couples rather than families.
- Beach: Only 250m from the public beach. The sand is greyer than Kuta and waves just as rough, so swim between the flags. Abundance of shady umbrellas and drink stalls.
- Views: All rooms face the lovely gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at an old-fashioned hotel like this.
- Parking: No parking available. Think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 730 868
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: puricendanaresortbali.com
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – Amenities
- Pool: Adequate for the limited number of guests, but not that quiet because of street noise.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- For Families: Tiny playground in the gardens of limited interest. Billiard table.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The charming Cendana Restaurant, which is more like a cafe, offers tables along the street (ideal for people-watching) and more secluded seating facing the pool. Open all day, with an extensive menu, friendly service, and good-value daily specials. Impressive range of vegetarian meals.
- Breakfast: Not included but can be paid for when booking or at the time.
- Room Service: Limited service available during restaurant hours – 7.30 am to 8.30 pm.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali– Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Superior Star Rooms • Duplex Star Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in the rooms but is permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Superior Star Rooms are more spacious and tranquil because they are upstairs.
- For Families: Most rooms can fit in an extra single bed, while some have connecting doors. The layout allows a family with 2 rooms to occupy an entire level within a building.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walkable to everything that Seminyak and Legian have to offer. Cycling around the main roads of Seminyak is increasingly problematic given the traffic, but pleasant along the backstreets and further south on the beachside path. Ask the reception about bike rentals.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Seminyak with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To reach attractions within southern Bali, metered taxis are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Drivers hang about the streets, but it’s better to organize this through the resort. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but a few agencies offer rentals. Motorbikes are easy to arrange at local agencies and useful for getting around Seminyak/Legian – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some may pick up guests from their hotel, but services for the main island-wide operator, Perama, only leave from its office in Kuta.
Puri Cendana Resort Bali – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Gigi’s Supreme Slice – By the slice, with seating inside or out. Alongside Blu-Zea resort, about 180m up the street (away from the beach). 2-minute walk.
- Sunset on Seminyak – Casual all-day dining facing the beach at Anantara resort, 200m away. Lounge chairs and tables on a wooden deck and serving healthy food, pizza, and seafood. 2-minute walk.
- Café Kami (0)361 731 516 – ‘Our Cafe’ provides an enchanting décor, friendly staff, and wide range of yummy meals. 300m up the street from the resort. 4-minute walk.
- La Plancha – One of several low-key but very inviting cafés/bars south along the beachside path. Gorgeous setting upstairs and beanbags and tables on the sand. 450m away. 5-minute walk.
- The Bush Telegraph Pub – Character-filled saloon-style bar/café with a ‘crocodile’ at the entrance. 7-minute walk (550m).
- Galaxy Sport Bar – Probably every conceivable sport live on one of many TVs. 600m up the street. 8-minute walk.
- There are plenty of minimarts and classy boutiques along the main street. For a more varied selection of places to eat, drink, and shop, grab a taxi (1.7km, longer by car) to the quaint Seminyak Square (14-minute drive) for bistros, bakeries, and bookshops, or to the world-class Beachwalk shopping center in Kuta about 3km away via the beachside path (28-minute drive).