Puri Santrian – Modern and quiet, with adults-only facilities, but a little isolated.
This resort is absolutely massive but feels less impersonal than others of a similar size. Among the sprawling lawns, several wings of rooms highlight traditional design or colonial-style features. Bungalows are secluded, spacious, and delightfully old-fashioned, with ornate Balinese-style doors, plenty of traditional paintings and furnishings, and garden views. Rooms in the members-only Santrian Club are contemporary and feature four-poster beds, walk-in closets, and garden bathrooms. The three infinity pools are dazzling, and numerous gazebos face the beach which is calm, sheltered, mostly private, and perfectly curved. Located at the far southern edge of Sanur, the resort is a little remote – which means it’s also quiet – but there are enough shops and cafés nearby.
Puri Santrian – The Location
- Address: Jalan Cemara street, the extension of the main road (Jalan Danau Tamblingan) through Sanur, a more relaxed region in southern Bali.
- Area: Between the beach and street, in the very quiet southern part of Sanur. Enough facilities in both directions.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 30 minutes (14 km), depending on traffic.
Puri Santrian – The Basics
- Guests: Focuses mainly on couples, especially older ones. In fact, children under 12 are not permitted in some areas of the resort.
- Beach: Curved and clean beach in front, certainly quieter than most areas in Sanur. Sheltered by a breakwater, so the water is calm and shallow.
- Views: The buildings housing the rooms are too far and too low for sea views, so they all face the pools and/or gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
- Extras: Afternoon tea. Yoga classes each morning.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout the resort.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 288 009
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: santrian.com
Puri Santrian – Amenities
- Pool: Three sparkling infinity pools. Two for usual guests, both with children’s sections, and another for Club Members only (i.e. adults). Also, a whirlpool in the Santrian Club area.
- Spa: Recently renovated and expanded with an opulent lobby. Super selection of treatments in a soothing setting. Massage hut near the pool.
- Fitness Center: Surprisingly, there isn’t one.
- Activities: Floodlit tennis court. Gear for snorkeling, paddle-boarding, and kayaking for rent. Cooking classes.
- Other Facilities: Library in the Club area.
Puri Santrian – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Lounge By The Sea – Adorable beachfront location, with all-day dining and focus on seafood. • The Mezzanine Restaurant – Tempting array of Thai, Japanese, and Western food. • Beach Club Restaurant – Buffet breakfast and other meals all day. Divine setting facing the pool and sea. Attached is a relaxing lounge, with newspapers and free afternoon tea.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Available about 18 hours a day.
Puri Santrian – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Room • Bungalow • Santrian Club • Santrian Deluxe • Premier Deluxe
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms, but is permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Premier Deluxe rooms in the Club Wing feature plenty of space, contemporary décor, and amenities especially for Club guests.
- For Families: All rooms are spacious enough to fit in extra single beds, while many also have connecting doors. However, accommodations in the special Club Wing won’t accept children under 12.
Puri Santrian – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walking around Sanur is more pleasant than most places in southern Bali. With flat roads and minimal traffic, cycling is also popular. Ask the resort about bike rental. Walking and cycling are ideal along the beachside path that stretches over 6 km, almost the entire length of Sanur.
- Public Transport: Sanur is unique within southern Bali as local bemos (decrepit minivans with bench seats) ply the main street, but won’t go further north than the golf course. Fares are set but invariably inflated for tourists.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but renting a car is possible at agencies all over Sanur. Motorbikes are also easy to rent and useful for getting around Sanur – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali. Taxis are plentiful, cheap, and comfortable, and the best way to go anywhere in southern Bali. For longer trips, charter a car with a driver. This can be arranged at any travel agency or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach any town outside of southern Bali and one that is popular with tourists (e.g. Ubud), buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but services for Perama, the only island-wide operator, leave from its inconvenient office on Jalan Hang Tuah on the other side of the golf course in northern Sanur. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Sanur with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
Puri Santrian – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- The neighboring Prama resort provides some terrific options, including Basilico Italian Pavilion for authentic pasta, risotto, several tasty delights, and romantic tables on the sand.
Within 300m northeast up the path parallel to the beach, several great sea-side warungs (food stalls) are spread out under the trees. Northeast up the beachside path from the resort are:
- Beach House Sanur – Breezy and airy, serving pizza, pasta, and tapas. At a corner, 500m away.
- Mermaid Bay Restaurant – Extended seating along the sand. All sorts of fresh food with organic ingredients, ice-cream, and home-baked delights. 100m past the Beach House.
- The Nest – Cozy and popular retreat for healthy food, coffee, and conversations. 150m past the Mermaid.
- Izakaya – Another gorgeous seaside setting. Tables almost on the sand and some of Sanur’s finest Indonesian food. Just past The Nest.
- The resort is in a quieter section of southern Sanur with a limited selection of shopping in the immediate area, but a couple of minimarts are nearby.
- Jet-skiing and parasailing, among other fun activities, can be arranged at the resort, or less expensively at counters along the beach nearby.