The Raintree, Anna Salai – Spacious, convenient, good-value, and in a decent inner-city area.
Between the airport and downtown, the Raintree is ideal for those on business, and anyone seeking more space and better value than other parts of the city center. The layout is modern, pleasant, and not overly fashionable and the stunning rooftop pool is reason enough to stay here. Rooms are surprisingly spacious, although the décor is a little bland but unlike rivals, the full-length windows provide broad city views. Adding to the appeal are the pleasing rates and proximity to a metro station that connects directly to the city center, airport, and other transport hubs.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – The Location
(Not to be confused with the nearby sister hotel – The Raintree Hotel on St. Mary’s Road – which is a little trendier and a little more expensive.)
- Address: 636 Anna Salai (Mount Road) in the inner southern suburb of Teynampet.
- Nearest Metro: Nandanam and Teynampet metro stations are both 500m away.
- Area: In a business district. Not much within walking distance, but some decent facilities within 1.5km by auto-rickshaw (see below).
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 40 minutes (11 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly business people, but quite suitable for tourists as well.
- Views: Broad city views in all directions. Partially-frosted windows provide privacy but affect views.
- Kitchen: Studio Rooms feature kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of inner-city business hotel.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room. Some guests have access to the Club Lounge.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2830 9999
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: raintreehotels.com
The Raintree, Anna Salai – Amenities
- Pool: Small but the rooftop setting is truly stunning. Vast views and some sunbeds. Quiet during the day but loud after dark when the attached bar-lounge opens.
- Spa: On the top (9th) floor, the Tattva Spa is relaxing and attractive, but offers little more than massages.
- Fitness Center: Reasonable size and enough gear to keep gym-goers happy.
- For Families: Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Money-changing. Laundry. Business services. Boutiques. Travel information.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Kitchen – Bright, airy, and open 24/7 for buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also, a varied a la carte menu and intriguing open-plan kitchen. • Madras – Mouth-watering food from across southern India in a cozy and intimate setting. • Up North – Exquisite regional cuisine (including buffets) and stunning rooftop setting with intimate tables. Attentive staff, but dinner only. • Pastry Shop – Delicious cakes and French-style pastries at the lobby level.
- Bars: Madera – Bar/lounge offering draft beer, signature cocktails, and soothing background music. • High – Amazing rooftop setting alongside the pool. Sweeping views, glowing lights, and thumping music from sunset.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but check when booking. Substantial, and starts early.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Club Rooms • Studio Rooms • Executive Suites • Presidential Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: One floor is allocated to smokers.
- Best Room: The Presidential Suites are huge and feature colorful and separate living areas as well as 2 bedrooms.
- For Families: Most rooms can fit in 1 extra single bed, while the Studio Rooms (with kitchenettes) and Executive Suites should be able to accommodate families of 4.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – Local Transport
- Walking: Faces a main road which is not that pleasant for walking, and barriers separating the traffic lanes make it really hard to cross the road. More pleasant around the Crowne Plaza hotel (see below).
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Nandanam and Teynampet – are both along the main road and almost equidistant (500m) from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
The Raintree, Anna Salai – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Other than a few stalls selling street food across the road, there’s nothing close by. The following 3 are located less than a kilometer Cenotaph Road, just before a major junction with a flyover:
- Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant – Award-winning cuisine and authentic décor at pleasing prices.
- Ambrosia Café & Bakery – Delicious baked items. Attached café serves good Korean fare.
- Café Coffee Day – One in a countrywide chain of reliable cafés selling drinks and light meals.
- Otherwise, take an auto-rickshaw (1.5 km) to the Crowne Plaza. This sophisticated hotel offers: The Residency (famous for its massive buffets), Dakshin (stylish décor and South Indian cuisine), and Cappuccino (open 24 hours for burgers, pizzas, and buffets).
- From the Crowne Plaza hotel, walk 300m (away from the junction) to a corner where a prominent Starbucks is located.
- On the way, and sharing the same building as each other, are a Subway and Fries Station, a delightful and tiny café serving western and Indian food at very low prices.
- About 50m up the side-street from Starbucks, Tryst Gourmet is an adorable café, patisserie, and supermarket.
- A few Indian-style minimarts along the main road near the Raintree, but little else to excite guests. Opposite the gates to the Crowne Plaza hotel, the Amma Naana supermarket sells tasty food items rarely seen elsewhere in the city. (2 km).
The Raintree, Anna Salai – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Crowne Plaza Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai
- Hyatt Regency
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu City Centre
- Residency Towers
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai