by Santorini Dave • Updated: February 10, 2019
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – Serene and spacious, with plenty to offer families.
The Rama is one of very few large and modern resorts along the east coast but somehow manages to seem compact and personal. The lack of beach is massively compensated by the gorgeous palm-fringed pool. The expansive gardens, with immaculate lawns, swaying palms, and trickling fountains, are quiet enough to hear birds. The Superior (standard) rooms are sizeable and noteworthy for the Balinese photos and carvings, while cottages are secluded with perfect sea views as far as Lombok Island. Providing a variety of activities (often free) for families, the resort is a short but peaceful distance from the main road, although an inconvenient kilometer and a half from central Candidasa.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – The Location
- Address: About 200m from the main road through eastern Bali: Jalan Raya Sengkidu. The turnoff alongside a petrol station is easy to miss.
- Area: About 1.5km west of downtown Candidasa, a quiet resort region in eastern Bali. Faces the coastline (but no beach), with few facilities nearby.
- How to Get There: Few metered taxis and chartered cars from the airport (about 1 hour 45-minute drive) will take anyone this far, so best to arrange transfers from the hotel. See under Local Transport later about tourist shuttle buses.
- Handy to: Ancient village of Tenganan.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Guests: Caters very well for families, as well as couples and smaller groups of all ages.
- Beach: Candidasa is a chain of rocky coves with patches of gritty sand created by breakwaters. There is no beach in front of the hotel, but a breakwater does provide a sheltered swimming area, though waves are often rough.
- Views: Varies considerably. Superior Rooms offer views of the garden or sea, often at a distance, while many cottages provide perfect vistas of the ocean as far as the neighboring island of Lombok.
- Kitchen: One Bedroom rooms feature a kitchenette with fairly limited facilities.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not available.
- Extras: Shuttle bus service to the main road in Candidasa. Ask about renting bicycles.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout the resort for all guests.
- Parking: Enough free and secure places at the lobby, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)363 41974
- Email: Send a message through the hotel website.
- Website: ramacandidasahotel.com
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: Large pool faces the sea, with palms that seem permanently reflected in the water for postcard-perfect photos. Also, a separate area for children.
- Spa: The Rama Spa offers an array of holistic treatments, as well as classes in massages.
- Fitness Center: Well-equipped and wonderfully located in a separate building within the vast gardens.
- For Families: Cots.
- Activities: More activities provided than anywhere else in eastern Bali including dance, traditional crafts, and yoga (often free), as well as scuba-diving and cooking. A wide range of interesting and engaging tours can also be arranged through the reception.
- Other Facilities: Inviting library with lounge chairs and loads of books. Separate and sizeable Business Center.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Featuring a modern layout, the classy Garpu Restaurant seems to hover above the shoreline. Views are exquisite and the all-day cuisine equally inviting.
- Breakfast: Often included, but this may depend on how the room is booked.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 9 pm.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Garden rooms • One Bedroom rooms • Deluxe Cottages Garden (or Ocean) View • Studios • One Bedroom Lofts
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms and public areas, but OK elsewhere.
- Best Room: The One Bedroom rooms may only provide views of the gardens but are twice the size of the other rooms, and feature a separate living room and kitchenette.
- For Families: The resort is family-focused, so many rooms have connecting doors, and all types of accommodation can fit in an extra single bed.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The hotel is 1.5km from central Candidasa. The road is flat and reasonably wide (but very busy), so bicycles are a good option, and can be rented from the hotel.
- Public Transport: Long-distance minibusses career along the main road between Amlapura and Denpasar (via the turnoff to Padangbai). These are a cheap (but uncomfortable) way to travel between the resort turnoff and center of Candidasa.
- Shuttle Bus: Perama offers several services daily to Kuta, Ubud, and Lovina, all via Padangbai. The office is at the western end of the main road through Candidasa, about 1.5km from the resort. 16-minute walk.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: There are no metered taxis in this area, so charter a car with a driver from someone along the main road, or better, through the hotel. Renting a car is possible from local agencies (but not recommended anywhere in Bali), while motorbikes are easy to rent and a terrific way to explore the east coast.
Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- A little too far to walk into Candidasa, so use the hotel shuttle service and try:
- Watergarden Kafé – Lovely décor and wide range of better-than-average meals. 4-minute drive.
- Le 48 – Classy bistro facing the lagoon. 5-minute drive.
- Otherwise, within walking distance are:
- Zen Restaurant – In the resort opposite the entrance to the Rama. For sea views and simple, affordable meals.
- Welcome In Warung – Also opposite the entrance to the Rama. Friendly service, basic food, and inexpensive prices.
- Lotus Bungalows – With tables facing the ocean and set way back from the traffic, the menu focuses on Italian food. About 700m towards Candidasa. 9-minute walk.
- Loaf Café – About 900m towards Candidasa, at the junction for the road to Tenganan village. Coffee, pastries, and sandwiches. 11-minute walk.
- Minimart right opposite the hotel entrance. The 1km-long road through Candidasa is packed with all sorts of shops, from minimarts to souvenir stalls. No malls, but enough places to satisfy most.
- Candidasa is an ideal base for exploration of the east coast, including:
- Tenganan (5km) – Fascinating millennia-old village pre-dating Hinduism. Maybe get a lift up by car or motorbike. The walk downhill (5km) to the main road in Candidasa is delightful. 12-minute drive.
- Pasir Putih (10.5km) – One of Bali’s premier beaches, yet still remarkably underdeveloped. Accessible by public transport and lovely walk (1.5km) from the turnoff at Bugbug village. 25-minute drive.
- Padangbai (11.6km) – With a scenic cove, more renowned as the terminal for speedboats to the Gili Islands. Accessible by public minibus, shuttle bus, and/or motorbike taxi. 25-minute drive.
- Tirtagangga (18.7km) – Bali’s most exquisite water palace is accessible by public transport via Amlapura or shuttle bus. 35-minute drive.