Residency Towers Chennai – Classy, convenient, and top-end facilities at mid-range prices.
Towering above a shopping district within the inner city, this hotel exudes sophistication and polish rarely seen elsewhere. OK, the giant palms in the lobby are fake, but the rest of the hotel is genuine and pleasant. Despite the limited space, it houses several particularly inviting restaurants and bars, and a fairly large rooftop pool with a separate section for children. Rooms are spacious enough to include a lounge and chair each, and broad views are offered from windows that have shutters rather than curtains. As well as the attractive rates (which unusually, include breakfast), another advantage is the location: shops in all directions, walkable to a metro station, and several terrific places to eat and drink just up the side street.
Residency Towers Chennai – The Location
(Not to be confused with its sister hotel, The Residency Chennai, about 1 km away.)
- Address: 115 Sir Theagaraya Road in the inner southern suburb known as T. Nagar. On a corner with a side street (North Boag Road), also lined with useful facilities.
- Nearest Metro: Teynampet metro station is 500m away.
- Area: Residential and business district, with plenty of shade, shops, and cafés.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 40 minutes (12 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Residency Towers Chennai – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly Indian business people during the week and Indian tourists on weekends. Foreigners are always welcome, of course.
- Views: With few other high-rises nearby, views are better than from most hotels.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city business-oriented hotel in Chennai.
- Extras: Extras, e.g. happy hours and airport transfers, for those in the Club Rooms and suites.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2815 6363
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: theresidency.com
Residency Towers Chennai – Amenities
- Pool: On the rooftop and sparkling-blue. More than large enough but lacks shade. The separate and sizable kid’s pool (rare among rival hotels) makes up for the unappealing plastic grass.
- Spa: Also on the top floor, the Respa Wellness Spa offers heavenly treatments using traditional techniques.
- Fitness Center: A bit small but should please most users.
- Other Facilities: Souvenir shop. Laundry. Money exchange. Travel desk.
Residency Towers Chennai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Main Street – Immensely charming setting, almost like a street side café in Paris. Open 24 hours for all sorts of food, including buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Worth visiting if staying elsewhere. • Southern Aromas – Sophisticated decor, silver service, and authentic south Indian cuisine. • The Crown – Amazing rooftop setting, with tables inside and along the edge. Tasty food and live blues on most nights. Open from sunset. • Baker’s Corner – Patisserie and coffee shop for freshly-baked bread, cakes, and pastries, as well as chocolates.
- Bar: Bike & Barrel – Dark but lively sports bar reminiscent of an English pub. Western meals and long list of imported spirits. DJ and snooker table add to the allure.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates (unusual among rivals).
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Residency Towers Chennai – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Residency Club Rooms • Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking on the premises.
- Best Room: The suites offer 24-hour butler service and Club extras (e.g. airport transfers), but it’s the exquisite wooden furniture that is the standout feature.
- For Families: Space for an extra single bed in the rooms, and some have connecting doors. The suites are huge and ideal for families of 4.
Residency Towers Chennai – Local Transport
- Walking: Sidewalks are likely to be finished by 2020, so walking around the area will be far more pleasant. Shady backstreets and plenty of shops along the main road in front.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Teynampet – is 500m from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Residency Towers Chennai – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
No need to venture along the main road because the finest selection is within 300m up the side street (North Boag Road) from the vehicle entrance. As well as a Subway, supermarket, and 2 health-food stores, are:
- Bowl’d +91 955 16 04056 – Hip vegetarian café offering make-it-yourself organic salads. (100m).
- 10 Downing Street – Almost as posh as it sounds, an English-style pub for grills, live music, and imported spirits. (300m).
- The Grand Chennai hotel is impossible to miss, 1 block away. It offers: Bazaar (bright and funky décor and upmarket versions of Indian street food, salads, and pizzas; open 24/7), J. Hind (very striking traditional-style décor, contemporary Indian cuisine, and attached bar), and Steams & Whistles (very likable bar/lounge across 3 levels, 1920’s theme and pub-style meals, and DJs and/or live music until late). (300m).
- Merlion Kitchen – In a modest hotel opposite the side entrance of the Grand Chennai. Unfussy service and hearty portions at excellent prices. (350m).
- Quite a few interesting places along the main road. Some call themselves ‘malls’ but are really just a handful of shops in one building; certainly not malls in the conventional sense.
Residency Towers Chennai – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels
- Hyatt Regency Chennai
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre
- The Raintree, Anna Salai
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency Chennai
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai