by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 10, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – Tranquil and classy boutique resort in a central location, and mostly adults only.
As the brochure states, this resort is ‘exclusive, private, and luxurious’, yet remarkably, only meters from the main road with its many shops and cafés, and a short stroll to the renowned Monkey Forest. The Kamuela offers only twelve suites/villas scattered across either side of a creek and secluded behind walls amidst gardens dotted with Balinese carvings and shady palms. Each boasts a pool large enough for 4 and is surrounded by wooden decks. The décor is modern, with a few subtle Balinese touches, and adding to the appeal are the delightful open-air lounge/kitchen/dining areas and sunken bathtubs for couples. And everything – particularly the elongated desks and even the baths – overlook the private pools and gardens.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – The Location
- Address: Southern section of Monkey Forest Road in downtown Ubud, the most popular tourist region in central Bali.
- Area: Lovely and untouched tropical setting, yet remarkably close to so many facilities. Faces a busy road with several shops and cafés in both directions. Only 350m from Monkey Forest.
- How to Get There: Best to arrange an airport pickup with the hotel, which is about 1.5 hours (37km) away (depending on traffic). See other options under “Local Transport” below.
- Handy to: Monkey Forest.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – The Basics
- Guests: Focuses almost entirely on couples, with a strict rule: no children under 16 allowed. Most guests seem to be below 40 and appreciate the convenient location.
- Views: All accommodations are secluded behind walls, so no general views.
- Kitchen: Each villa features a lovely open-air kitchen with a dining table.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Some ground-floor suites offer direct access to the main pool. All villas feature private pools which are large enough for swimming.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Virtually nowhere to park, and think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 970 099
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: kamuelavillas.com
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – Amenities
- Pool: The sparkling pool is about 50m long and has a jacuzzi attached.
- Spa: Aum Spa is particularly inviting. Offers a range of soothing and indulgent treatments and well-trained staff.
- Fitness Center: Surprisingly large considering the limited number of guests.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: A petite café faces the creek. Normally, only open to serve breakfast to guests. An attached bar opens from late afternoon.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates. Can be delivered to the rooms or served at the café.
- Room Service: Breakfast is available at any time. Otherwise, there is no room service as there’s no proper functioning café on-site.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – Rooms
- Room Types: Suites with Balcony • Suite Pool Access • One Bedroom Villas
- Smoking Rooms: Fairly strict about smoking on the premises, so check with reception.
- Best Room: The One Bedroom Villas are particularly romantic. Very spacious, with a private pool and 2 bathtubs.
- For Families: Not set up for families, and children under 16 are not allowed. Each suite/villa has a daybed which can convert into a single bed. Or book 2 suites with connecting doors.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Ubud is surprisingly spread out and distances can be deceivingly long, but there are plenty of places to eat, drink, and shop within walking distance of the resort. A few hardy expats ride bicycles but traffic in central Ubud and hilly roads elsewhere ensure that cycling is rarely enjoyable.
- Public Transport: There is no reliable public transport anywhere in or around Ubud.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but motorbikes are popular for visiting local attractions without the traffic of southern Bali. Both can be rented from agencies downtown. Metered taxis from southern Bali can drop passengers off in Ubud but are forbidden to operate here. So the best (and really, only) option for day trips is to charter a car with a driver. This can be organized with any of the several drivers hanging around the streets or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: For towns popular with tourists (e.g. Kuta and Lovina), shuttle buses are comfortable and cheap, if a little overcrowded at times. Local operators, including the major island-wide company, Perama, will pick up (but not drop off) guests from hotels. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Ubud with southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
Royal Kamuela Villas & Suites at Monkey Forest, Ubud – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Wanara Kitchen – Cute, vibrant, and friendly for all sorts of meals at pleasing prices. Opposite the hotel entrance. 1-minute walk (20m).
- De’warung – Popular hangout covered with hanging vines. Grills, pasta, vegetarian meals, and rijstaffel (shared plates of Indonesian food). About 40m north. 1-minute walk.
- Pringgas Grill Ubud – Leafy setting for Japanese food, grills, and seafood. Also popular for happy hours and the colorful art. Just past De’warung. 1-minute walk (70m).
- Maha Restaurant/Bar – Lounge chairs facing the street and pretty garden at the back. Go for the delicious food and tempting happy hours. About 65m south of the hotel. 1-minute walk.
- Brata Café – Quaint and leafy, with a handful of tables and lots of charm. Opposite the Maha. 1-minute walk (80m).