SD › San Francisco Best Cheap Hotels
Updated: January 11, 2020
• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly charitable donation.
The 10 Best Budget Hotels in San Francisco
1. HI San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf Hostel – Budget
Set within Fort Mason, this laid-back budget hostel includes free breakfast, free parking, and spacious common areas, such as a TV room, game room, outdoor terrace, communal kitchen, and restaurant. Accommodation ranges from shared dormitories to private rooms, and the hostel is located a 5-minute walk (0.2 mile) to the Fort Mason Center for Arts & Culture and a 15-minute walk (0.7 mile) to Fisherman’s Wharf.
2. San Remo Hotel – Budget
Historic and good value hotel with a restaurant and self-service laundry (but no elevator), located a 10-minute walk (0.4 mile) from Lombard Street and a 9-minute walk (0.5 mile) from Fisherman’s Wharf. Rooms have antique furnishings, and in true vintage fashion, they do not have telephones or TVs; most rooms use shared bathrooms.
3. Hayes Valley Inn – Budget
Within steps of restaurants, shops, and music venues, this affordable guesthouse features rooms with shared bathrooms, a 24-hour front desk, self-service laundry facilities, and breakfast available for a fee. The Van Ness light rail station (0.4 mile, 7-minute walk) and the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium (0.4 mile, 8-minute walk) are both a short walk away.
4. Mayflower Hotel – Budget
Located a 7-minute walk (0.4 mile) from Union Square and a 13-minute walk (0.6 mile) from Chinatown, this historic hotel has free breakfast and a 24-hour front desk. Every room includes a private bathroom, microwave, and refrigerator; some rooms have kitchenettes.
5. Beck’s Motor Lodge – Moderate
Recently renovated and located a 1-minute walk (170 feet) from the Market St & Sanchez St light rail stop and a 7-minute walk (0.3 mile) from the Castro Theatre. Amenities include free parking, a rooftop terrace, self-service laundry facilities, and an elevator. All rooms have private bathrooms, refrigerators, coffee makers, and air conditioning.
6. Parker Guest House – Moderate
Charming mid-range hotel offering free breakfast, a daily manager’s reception, outdoor courtyard, lounge areas with a piano and fireplace, and on-site parking for a fee. Most rooms have private bathrooms, and the hotel is situated within walking distance of many restaurants, a 3-minute walk (0.1 mile) from Mission Dolores Park, and a 9-minute walk (0.4 mile) from the Castro Theatre.
7. Inn at Union Square – Moderate
Located a 1-minute walk (250 feet) from Union Square and a 12-minute walk (0.6 mile) from San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, this boutique hotel features upscale guestrooms with marble bathrooms, tablets, refrigerators, and turn-down service. Hotel amenities include free continental breakfast, a free nightly wine reception, lounge with fireplace, valet parking for a fee, and 24-hour front desk.
8. Hotel Abri Union Square – Moderate
Boutique hotel featuring a restaurant, bar, and business center, and located close to both Union Square (0.2 mile, 4-minute walk) and Westfield San Francisco Centre (0.2 mile, 4-minute walk). Rooms have smart TVs, coffee makers, desks, and air conditioning; suites have larger floor plans with separate living rooms.
9. Yotel San Francisco – Moderate
Futuristic hotel featuring compact rooms with smart TVs, air conditioning, private bathrooms with rainfall showers, and “smart beds” with memory foam mattresses. The hotel is located a 9-minute walk (0.4 mile) from Westfield San Francisco Centre and 13-minute walk (0.6 mile) from Union Square. Amenities include a fitness room and 24-hour front desk.
10. Best Western Corte Madera – Moderate
Not located in San Francisco but just across the Golden Gate Bridge in beautiful Marin County. San Francisco is an easy and scenic 15-minute drive away. Great (huge) outdoor pool and a wonderful spot for families. Highly recommended. (There is a bus stop within walking distance but for families having a car to get into the city would definitely make life easier.)
- Best Hotels in San Francisco
- Best Hotels for Families in San Francisco
- Best Choice Hotels in San Francisco
- Best Hotels with Pools in San Francisco
- Where to Stay in San Francisco
- San Francisco with Kids
- Best Time to Visit San Francisco
- California with Kids
- Best Time to Visit California
- Where to Stay in Big Sur
- Best Hotels in Los Angeles
- Best Los Angeles Family Hotels
- Where to Stay in Los Angeles
- Best Time to Visit Los Angeles
- Where to Stay in Monterey
- Best Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Hotels for Families in Palm Springs
- Best Budget Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Hotels in San Diego
- Best Hotels for Families in San Diego
- Best Choice Hotels in San Diego
- Best Cheap Hotels in San Diego
- Best Time to Visit San Diego
- Where to Stay in San Diego
- Best Hotels for Families in Santa Barbara
- Where to Stay in Santa Barbara
- Where to Stay in Santa Cruz
- Where to Stay in California Wine Country
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter