Live Music in Seattle
Seattle cemented its place in music history when a young man named Kurt Cobain launched a band called Nirvana – the sound was called grunge and it defined Seattle in the 90s. But Seattle was a music town before flannel and Doc Martins were high fashion. Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, and Ray Charles all called Seattle home. 60s pop-rock act Paul Revere and the Raiders were Seattle based. Ann and Nancy Wilson, the sisters who formed Heart, hip hop star Macklemore, poetic Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie… there must be something in the water; so much great music, of all kinds, comes from Seattle.
Here’s where to go to find the best music in Seattle:
Downtown Music Scene
- The Triple Door • calendar – Eclectic. Jazz, Folk, Indie pop and rock. Table seating. Food and cocktails. 216 Union Street.
- Showbox • calendar – Rock & Indie Alternative. Established local acts and national/international tours. 1426 1st Ave.
- The Paramount Theatre • calendar – Historic 2,800 capacity theater. Popular and eclectic touring acts, stage productions. 911 Pine Street.
- The Moore Theatre • calendar – Seattle’s oldest operating theater. Like the Paramount, but smaller. 1932 2nd Avenue.
- Highway 99 Blues Club • calendar – Blues, honkey-tonk, country, rockabilly. Serves Creole food. 1414 Alaskan Way.
Belltown Music Scene
Seattle Center Music Scene
South Lake Union Music Scene
- Lo-Fi Performance Gallery • calendar – Hop hop, Indie rock, DJ shows. 429 Eastlake Avenue E.
- El Corazon/The Funhouse • calendar – Two venues, one roof. The Funhouse is all punk, while El Corazon showcases punk, metal, and hardcore rock. The Waffle Window serves both. 109 Eastlake Avenue E.
- Victory Lounge • calendar – Rock: hard, punk/post punk, surf. Serves hot dogs. 433 Eastlake Avenue E.
Capitol Hill Music Scene
- Neumos • calendar – Eclectic mix of the region’s top talent: indie rock, hip hop, electronica, roots, more. A Cap Hill powerhouse and one of Seattle’s best clubs. 925 East Pike Street.
- Barboza • calendar – Neumos’ basement bar also has live music. 925 East Pike Street.
- Highline • calendar – Metal, Punk. Serves food (vegan). 210 Broadway Avenue E.
- Chop Suey • calendar – Eclectic: hip hop, indie rock, metal, etc. 1325 East Madison.
Ballard Music Scene
Fremont Music Scene
- Nectar • calendar – Hip hop, reggae, bluegrass, indie folk. Indoor/outdoor. 412 North 36th Street.
- High Dive • calendar – Eclectic: Indie rock/pop, roots, Americana, metal. Great BBQ. 513 North 36th Street.
- Fremont Abbey Arts Center • calendar – Local music, spoken word, storytelling and dance. Beautiful venue in an 100 year-old church. All ages. 4272 Fremont Avenue North.