Home > The Shalimar Hotel Review
Updated: October 8, 2019
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – Affordable mid-range option that’s comfortable, functional, and convenient.
This low-key but agreeable hotel offers a range of rooms and suites at half the rates of those in more fashionable suburbs. Yet the area is still reasonably upmarket and certainly handy: close to the inner-city beach (Chowpatty) and the major train and bus stations, just off a main inner-city thoroughfare heading to the airport and northern beaches, and a quick trip to the attractions in downtown. The Shalimar offers spacious motel-style rooms for the budget-conscious, while the Lifestyle Suites are individually-themed and unconventionally decorated, e.g. ‘Egypt Room’ and ‘Marrakesh’. As well as the inexpensive rates, the other major selling point is the pleasing range of facilities nearby. (Until roadworks are finished elsewhere by about 2021, the area outside will remain a traffic bottleneck, however.)
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – The Location
- Address: August Kranti Marg (road), Kemps Corner. The Kemps Corner Flyover along Pedder Road is a major landmark, about 150m away.
- Area: Tightly-packed area of apartments, shops, cafés, and bars in a more upmarket section of the inner-city. Not far from Chowpatty beach, and convenient to the northern and southern parts of the city.
- How to Get There: From the domestic or international airport terminals, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (22km, 1-hour drive, longer during peak times). The Mumbai Central train station and nearby central bus depot are about 20 minutes away (2.5km).
- Handy to: Chowpatty Beach.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly budget-conscious Indian business people and Western tourists.
- Views: Rooms to the front face the main road, so they may suffer from traffic noise. Those to the side face quiet lanes with a few other similar-sized buildings nearby.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of mid-priced inner-city hotel.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 6664 1000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: theshalimarhotel.com
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – Amenities
- Pool: Not expected (or provided).
- Spa: On the ground floor, and with a separate entrance, the Serene Room provides a better range of treatments than expected.
- Fitness Center: Small, as anticipated at this type of hotel, but decent enough. Open 24/7.
- Other Facilities: Hair salon. Business Center. Money-changing. Art gallery in the lobby.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Gulmurg – Quiet and stylish setting on an upper floor. Street views, and wide menu of Indian, Chinese, and European food. • Yo! The Deli – Very popular café for sandwiches, coffee, and pastries. Eat-in or takeaway. Attached is The Bakerie bakery. • District Lounge – Intimate sofas, wooden bar counters, and an extended list of imported spirits.
- Breakfast: Not generally included, but this depends on how the room was booked. Otherwise, available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available from about 7 am to 11 pm.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – Rooms
- Room Types: Studios • Zen Rooms • Smart Rooms • Comfort Room • Lifestyle Suites
- Smoking Rooms: May be allowed in some rooms; ask the management when booking.
- Best Room: Choose one of the Lifestyle Suites depending on the décor of choice, e.g. ‘New York’, ‘Greece’, or ‘Egypt’. The most authentic Indian-style suites are ‘Le Pondicherry’, ‘The Malabar Room’, and ‘Rajputana’.
- For Families: Nothing set up for families, and no space for an extra single bed in any room or suite. The only option is to book 2 rooms, and a few do have connecting doors.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – Local Transport
- Walking: With current traffic issues (to be relieved by about 2021) and narrow sidewalks, it’s not a pleasant area for walking, although there are plenty of shops and cafés nearby.
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2025.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of black-and-yellow taxis. Insist on using the meter. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
A surprisingly fine selection, but sometimes a little hard to find.
- Charcoal Eats – Meat lovers will rejoice in this simple eatery, part of a citywide chain. About 200m (west) down the road. 2-minute walk.
- Sweetish House Mafia – Odd name for a bright little spot for cookies, cakes, and coffee. Across the junction from Charcoal Eats. 3-minute walk (200m).
- Plate & Pint – Unassuming entrance leads to a bakery serving world-class quiches and croissants. At the back, the stylish café provides a wide range of tasty Western food. Bar attached. Across the junction from Charcoal Eats. 3-minute walk (200m).
- Doolally Taproom – Finest among several chic bistros/bars sprouting up in the area. Local craft beers, finger food, hearty meals, and chatty patrons. First floor, next to Starbucks on the other side of the flyover. 3-minute walk (200m).
- The popular Chowpatty Beach is about 2km by taxi. While the sand is clean and views, impressive, the water is not suitable for swimming. Plenty of food stalls during the evenings. 15-minute drive.
The Shalimar Hotel, Mumbai – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Time to Visit Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Time to Visit Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Time to Visit Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Time to Visit Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Time to Visit Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Time to Visit Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Time to Visit Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Time to Visit Kolkata