Home > Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – Sophisticated, convenient, and modern, yet also likably traditional.
Fusing contemporary facilities with old-fashioned elegance, the Shangri-La soars above the leafy streets of central Delhi. The lavish lobby is indicative of the overall design which is fashionable without being overly chic. The tropical-style pool and surrounding gardens are larger and more inviting than nearby rivals. And the rooms – most of which have been recently refurbished – are pleasingly spacious. The standout features are the marble bathrooms and the corner alcoves with seating alongside the broad windows which offer more appealing views than other downtown hotels. Also, it’s walkable to Connaught Place and its endless facilities in all directions.
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – The Location
- Address: The official address – ‘19 Ashoka Road, Connaught Place’ – is a little misleading. It’s on the corner of Ashoka Road and Janpath Road (which heads north 1.5km to Connaught Place).
- Area: Great position, with plenty of facilities north along Janpath Road.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to Patel Chowk station (500m, 7-minute walk). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30-40 minutes (19km).
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – The Basics
- Guests: Caters equally for business people and tourists who all appreciate the convenient location.
- Views: With no other high-rises nearby, the views are more impressive than most city hotels. Smog permitting, views can extend several kilometers.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The Presidential Suites feature jacuzzis.
- Extras: All suites offer Club Lounge access, airport transfers, and laundry.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 4119 1919
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: shangri-la.com
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – Amenities
- Pool: Inviting and shady, with a large deck. More like a tropical island resort.
- Spa: Chi, The Spa provides a range of treatments unique to the hotel. Wins awards for its staff and products. Yoga available.
- Fitness Center: Open 24 hours, with the latest equipment. Also sauna, steam rooms, and jacuzzis indoors and out.
- Other Facilities: Business Center (open 24 hours).
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Mister Chai – Tea lounge open 24 hours. Very upmarket version of a traditional chai shop. Light meals also available. • Shang Palace – Cuisine from across China, and renowned for its Peking Duck. With an outdoor deck facing the gardens. • Sorrento – Award-winning and family-friendly Italian bistro. Seats inside and al fresco facing the gardens. Authentic pasta and signature cocktails. • Tamra – Long menu offering meals from all across the globe. Several open-plan kitchens add to the appeal. Also, buffets at breakfast and lunch. • Grappa – Italian-style décor, serving wine and cocktails until late.
- Breakfast: Not included, but can be paid for when booking or on the day.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Premier Rooms • Horizon Deluxe Rooms • Horizon Premier Rooms • Executive Suites • Specialty Suites • Presidential Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: On the 10th floor, the Presidential Suites are super-luxurious. Featuring 2 bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, jacuzzis, balconies offering broad city views, separate living areas, and kitchenettes. Guests also have Club Lounge access, airport transfers, and other freebies.
- For Families: All rooms and suites can fit in 1 extra single bed, while the Presidential Suites have 2 bedrooms and bathrooms, as well as kitchenettes.
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – Local Transport
- Walking: Less than 1.5km to all the shops, cafés, bars, and other facilities around Connaught Place, but this is one of the most traffic-clogged places on earth. Janpath Road, which links Connaught Place with the hotel, is home to a few unsavory taxi touts and beggars.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is Patel Chowk, about 500m from the hotel via Ashoka Road. 7-minute walk.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. Best arranged through the hotel. None will use a meter and all are outrageously overpriced, so many locals use Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Le Méridien – Offers Le Belvedere (award-winning French cuisine and sublime rooftop position), The One (a la carte and buffets of Indian and international food), and Eau de Monsoon (fine dining of contemporary Indian food). 400m across the other side of the roundabout. 5-minute walk.
- The Imperial – This adorable and historical hotel is at least worth a look. Better still, stay for a meal and/or drink at 1 of 9 cafés/bars. Particularly appealing are the 1911 Bar & Restaurant and The Atrium tea lounge. About 850m north via Janpath Lane (slightly quicker than along Janpath Road). 11-minute walk.
Otherwise, about 1km north along Janpath Road are many tempting choices, including Pizza Hut and McDonald’s, all within about 200m of each other:
- 52 Janpath – The name is the address, but along a lane, so it’s distant from traffic noise. With a courtyard, charming interior, and a long menu of mainly western food. Live music on some nights. 12-minute walk (900m).
- Café Delhi Heights – One in a chain of popular eateries. Upstairs for views, affable staff, and extra-long menu focused on healthy options. Drinks specials all day. 13-minute walk (1km).
- Moonshine Cafe & Bar Janpath – More salubrious than the name might suggest. Back from the traffic-clogged road, popular for live music, DJs, and tasty food. 13-minute walk (1km).
- Nothing within the immediate area, but Connaught Place is only 1.2km to the north. Don’t be put off by the incessant traffic and noise of the (one-way) outer ring road. Stroll among the endless places to eat, drink, and shop within the inner streets, and relax at Central Park, in the middle of the circle. 15-minute walk.
Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel, New Delhi – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions
- Andaz Delhi
- B Nineteen Luxury Hotel
- Holiday Inn New Delhi International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Delhi
- Ibis New Delhi Aerocity Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT New Delhi
- Le Méridien New Delhi
- The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- The Leela Palace New Delhi
- Lemon Tree Premier, Delhi Airport
- The Lodhi
- Lutyens Bungalow
- The Oberoi New Delhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Hotel Connaught Place
- Taj Mahal, New Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai