Updated: May 22, 2018
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – classy, suburban vibe, and welcomes pets and families.
Built in 1876 by a doctor regarded as Australia’s first philosopher, the Hughenden still features much of the original décor, including chandeliers, highly-polished floorboards and marble fireplaces. The range of rooms stretches from ‘The Cosy’, which is certainly compact but nicely furnished, to The Manor, the sumptuous main bedroom in the original house. This features gorgeous old-fashioned furniture, a lounge area, and balcony overlooking the street. In between, the Standard Rooms are colourful and the Deluxe Rooms are spacious. Unusually, the Hughenden offers rooms in which pets are welcome, while the converted gatehouse is especially inviting for families, with two bedrooms and a kitchenette. And the convivial Victorian Lounge is ideal for meeting fellow guests. The Hughenden is in Woollahra, an agreeable inner-city suburb, a stone’s throw from Oxford Street (which is lined with endless eateries) and the vast Centennial Parklands.
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – The Basics
- Location: 14 Queen St, Woollahra, an inner-city suburb about 5km from downtown.
- Guests: Ideal for couples, especially those looking for something romantic.
- Pets: The Queen room is specifically pet-friendly. Contact management regarding any extra charges.
- Views: Of the main street and surrounding homes.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free to all guests.
- Parking: Available for A$33 per night.
- Phone: 93634863
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: https://www.thehughenden.com.au
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Centre: Not expected or provided in this inner-city boutique hotel.
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: 14 Queen is a quaint and recently-renovated street-side café with an extensive menu and four dining areas. The attached Cheers bar offers specialty beers and cocktails.
- Breakfast: Unusually, breakfast is included in the hotel rates.
- Room Service: Not available.
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: The Cosy • The Standard • The Standard Plus • The Queen • The Deluxe • The Manor Suite • The Family Room
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: Bright and spacious, the Manor was the original bedroom in the historic main building, and features a good-sized balcony and spa bathroom.
The Hughenden Boutique Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- The Light Brigade – Art Deco, with outdoor seating, tapas, cocktails and meal specials. 2-minute walk.
- The Paddington – traditional pub, with cosy ambience and late hours. 5-minute walk.
- Lucio’s Italian Restaurant – sophisticated Italian dining and modern Australian art (vegetarian options also available). 8-minute walk.
- Woollahra Hotel – suburban pub charm with trendy French bistro. 4-minute walk.
Buses leave every few minutes for the city centre; otherwise, get a taxi.