Updated: May 22, 2018
The Langham Sydney – a refined and charismatic hotel with a suburban feel, but a little remote.
Almost lost among rows of renovated townhouses, this boutique-style hotel feels isolated, with little of interest in the immediate area. But The Rocks, an historical area packed with bars and cafés, is only 10 minutes on foot, and a path from the hotel winds past renovated wharves to the base of the iconic Harbour Bridge. Spacious enough for two doubles, the Deluxe Rooms feature pastel colours and modern art that doesn’t quite suit the overall ambience. Bonuses are the huge TV, latest coffee machine, and plentiful storage space. Views from the undersized windows and miniscule balconies facing the harbour will be significantly obstructed when a neighbouring casino complex is completed in 2019/2020. Surprisingly, The Langham offers a decent gym, huge spa and indoor pool, which is large, but can be hot and noisy. Staying or not, certainly pop in for a spot of High Tea at the famed Palm Court café.
The Langham Sydney – The Basics
- Location: Along Kent Street (and not in the ‘heart of The Rocks’ as described on the website). About 10 minutes on foot from the city centre, The Rocks and Circular Quay.
- Guests: Probably more suited to couples, especially those looking for a romantic getaway.
- Pets: Pets allowed for an extra A$120 per night, but conditions apply.
- Views: Of the harbour and wharfs, or the main street (which is reasonably quiet).
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests.
- Parking: Available for A$60 per day.
- Phone: 9256 2222
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.langhamhotels.com/sydney
- How To Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
The Langham Sydney – Amenities
- Pool: Indoor and large.
- Spa: The Day Spa by Chuan is in the basement, and a bit dark, but otherwise superb.
- Fitness Center: The Health Club is sizeable, with a steam room and personal trainers.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
The Langham Sydney – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Palm Court café features an elegant setting, complete with a grand piano. Dining is available all day, but is especially popular (so book ahead) for the Afternoon Tea with Wedgewood • Bistro Remy is open for breakfast and dinner. With a regal ambience, choose from the excellent buffet or extensive menu
- Breakfast: May be included, depending on type of booking.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
The Langham Sydney – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Terrace Rooms • Executive Rooms • One Bedroom Suites • The Residence • The Observatory Suite
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The presidential-style Observatory Suite is opulent, spacious and so very stylish.
The Langham Sydney – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Fish at the Rocks – lovely harbour-side setting, with award-winning seafood. 2-minute walk.
- Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel – perhaps Sydney’s oldest pub, with local beers and appetising food. 3-minute walk.
- Mr Chow’s Peking Restaurant – authentic and elegant, with superb setting and extensive views. 2-minute walk.
- tago-an – unpretentious Japanese with convivial atmosphere. 3-minute walk.
- Henry Deane – sophisticated, twin-level cocktail lounge offering meals and outstanding views. 5-minute walk.
A 20-minute walk to the nearest train station, so best to order a taxi.