Updated: April 17, 2018
The McLaren Hotel – has personality and character, and is so much better than a motel.
This boutique hotel exemplifies the cliché ‘home away from home’. In an historic mansion extended with a new wing, all rooms are pleasingly spacious and surprisingly quiet. The Deluxe Rooms feature an exquisite bathroom, and those on the upper floor have angled ceilings and a skylight in the bathroom. More popular are the ground floor rooms that open out to a shared patio with a smattering of foliage. Larger still are the Junior Suites, while the Tara Suites contain a gorgeous bed, antique furniture and sizeable private balcony overlooking the quiet street. Adding enormously to the appeal is the guest lounge with leadlight bay windows, and the conservatory breakfast area. A few eateries are nearby, but a wider range is downhill near the train station (700m), or up the freeway to the suburb of Crows Nest (1km).
The McLaren Hotel – The Basics
- Location: 25 McLaren Street, off Miller Street, the main road through North Sydney from the train station.
- Guests: Geared more towards couples and budget-conscious businesspeople.
- Pets: Possible, but only if animals are well-behaved and guests stay in rooms on the ground floor.
- Views: Of the laneway along the side or main street.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available free for all guests for the first day, but charged a one-off A$5 if staying longer.
- Parking: Some 10 spots available free and undercover, but not guaranteed.
- Phone: 9965 9500
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://mclarenhotel.com.au
- How To Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
The McLaren Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, spa and fitness centre: Not expected or provided at this historic boutique hotel.
The McLaren Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Lounge/Bar: Not expected or provided.
- Breakfast: A buffet continental breakfast costs an extra A$9.
- Room Service: Available for a limited selection of soups and sandwiches.
The McLaren Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard and Deluxe Rooms • Junior Suites • Tara Suites
- Smoking Rooms: By Australian law, smoking is forbidden within hotel buildings.
- Best Room: The Tara Suite epitomises elegance. Perfect for a romantic getaway, it boasts a private balcony, kitchenette and oodles of antique furniture.
The McLaren Hotel – What’s Nearby?
- Nearby Restaurants & Bars: The best selection is at Crows Nest, a suburb 1km away, but these are within a short walk of the hotel: Jagos on Miller (low-key café with heated courtyard and contemporary Australian cuisine; open for breakfast and lunch) • Cala Luna (intimate Italian, with open-air setting, specialising in pasta and steak) • Retro Saigon (succulent Vietnamese, with flowery street-side location) • Union Hotel (affordable pub meals and Parisienne-style bistro)
- Local Transport: Is within walking distance of two train stations.