Updated: August 9, 2018
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – Inexpensive, beachfront, convenient and tranquil.
This seems to cater for possible overspill from the more upmarket sister resort, Hôtel Les Tipaniers, about 1.5km to the north, so it’s rarely occupied. All bungalows are twin-level, with a bedroom on both floors, so there’s space for a family of 4, although the bedroom upstairs would be hot (with a ceiling fan only). All verandas are a decent size, but few bungalows offer sea views; in fact, most face the back of the main building, which is surprisingly closer to the sea than the bungalows. The main selling points are the decent beach; affordability; limited number of guests; location, within walking distance of Hauru village; and access to facilities at the sister resort.
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – The Basics
- Location: Along the northwest coast of Moorea Island. About 500m south of the centre of Hauru village; 28km from the airport; and 29km from the ferry terminal for services to Tahiti.
- Guests: Most guests are older couples, often those who tried but failed to book into the sister hotel, Les Tipaniers.
- Beach: A passable stretch of sand in front, and a good size considering the limited number of guests.
- Views: A few bungalows face the sea, but most overlook the back of the main building.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Enough free and secure spots around the lobby area, not far from the bungalows.
- Phone: (689) 40 56 17 14
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.tipaniersfarevaimoana.com/
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – Amenities
- Pool: Not provided (nor really expected) at this standard of lodge. No pool either at the sister resort, Hôtel Les Tipaniers, which probably should have 1.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided) at this lodge. Also not at Hôtel Les Tipaniers.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The modest café facing the sea only serves breakfast to guests who have pre-booked it. Guests are offered free transfers for lunch and dinner to the pleasant Beach Restaurant & Bar at the sister resort, Hôtel Les Tipaniers. Their menu includes salads, pizza, homemade pasta, and ice cream, with live music on weekends.
- Breakfast: Can be included in some rates, depending on the booking.
- Room Service: Not available, because there is no real restaurant onsite.
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – Rooms
- Room Types: Beach Bungalows • Ocean View Bungalows • Garden Bungalows
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms and public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The bungalows are fairly similar inside, but the Beach Bungalows do offer lovely sea views.
Les Tipaniers Fare Vai Moana – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
A decent selection in Hauru village, with some providing free transfers.
- Le Coco D’isle (40 56 59 07) – hugely popular despite (or because of) the sandy floor. Tahitian, French and Chinese food, as well as pizza. Evenings only, and takeaways available. 250m south. 3-minute walk.
The places below are within 600m north up the road.
- Le Mayflower – next to the Hibiscus. Evenings only for French food, fish and vegetarian meals. Pricey with daily specials and kids’ meals. 3-minute walk.
- Le Sunset – open-air and colourful setting facing the sea. Chef from France, but also Italian fare and local specialties. At Hôtel Hibiscus. 4-minute walk.
- La Plantation (40 56 45 10) – all-day French and Tahitian cuisine, as well as pasta, vegetarian meals and long list of desserts. Also, children’s menu, happy hours and free transfers. 6-minute walk.
- QG Brasserie (87 36 19 34) – in Le Petit Village. Open-air, friendly and affordable for pizza, grills and paninis. Expat hangout and congenial bar. 7-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: There are a few convenience stores in the village, all within 600m north of the lodge.
There’s no public transport around Moorea Island, but 4 or 5 buses run daily between Hauru village and the ferry terminal (but not the airport) to tie in with arrivals/departures. Ask the reception for details. The village is close enough to walk. For further afield, organise a taxi (unmetered) or rent a car/motorbike.