Pension de la Plage – Humble, affable, affordable, and convenient to a public beach.
This endearing collection of rooms resembles a motel, but offers so much more: e.g. a quaint tropical garden, congenial lounge/library, and barbecue area. Some rooms and a couple of suites feature kitchens and sleep up to five, so they’re a great option for budget-minded families, especially with the discounts for longer stays. All accommodations feature patios facing the inviting pool, but the hotel is alongside the main road (although a brick wall does block out some traffic noise). Not on la plage (the beach), a public beach is accessible via a short path across the road. Although rocky in parts, the beach is more appealing than the one at Sofitel, just up the coast.
Pension de la Plage – The Basics
- Location: In an area called Puna’auia, midway along the west coast of Tahiti Nui. About 10 km from the airport, 15 km from downtown Pape’ete, and a little farther from the ferry terminal for services to Moorea.
- Guests: Caters primarily to those on a budget, including families.
- Beach: Quite a decent public beach, Plage de Toaroto, is easy to access via a 150m-long path starting across the road from the hotel. With white sand, it’s wide and clean, but lacks shade.
- Views: All rooms face the gardens and pool.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free and unlimited throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Free secure parking inside the grounds, sometimes within meters of the room.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 40 45 56 12
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: pensiondelaplage.pf
Pension de la Plage – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there is a pool. It’s a decent size and shady, with a barbecue alongside.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Pension de la Plage – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: There is no restaurant, but breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner are available to guests as part of reasonable rates that include half/full board.
- Bar: A small bar faces the pool and is for guests only.
- Breakfast: Not included unless a room with half/full board has been booked. Some rooms and suites have kitchens.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided at this small hotel with no restaurant.
Pension de la Plage – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Studio (with kitchen) • Suite (with/without kitchen)
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms, but okay around the pool and gardens.
- Best Room: The Suites are more spacious, accommodating up to 5 people in separate rooms. Some Suites have a kitchen and 2 bathrooms.
Pension de la Plage – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
A few roulettes (food carts) are set up in the evenings at the carpark for the public beach right across the road. And adjacent to the public beach, the Beach Snack café is a top spot for all-day casual meals right on the sand, including affordable plats du jour.
- About 600m up the road, Sofitel offers Le Carré Restaurant – Intimate, with an extensive wine list and impressive menu of French and Polynesian flavors • La Plantation Restaurant – Among tropical gardens for themed buffet nights and breakfast.
- Next to the entrance of Sofitel, a shopping center features several eateries: Le Nemo – Refined décor for grills, baguettes, seafood, and chicken • La Pâte à Crêpes – For crêpes, waffles, and salads • Le Fournil Hautbois – Bakery with seating • Restaurant Chez Rémy – Classy bistro with Arabic influences.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Very basic supplies at the Mobil petrol station next to the hotel entrance. The large Super U supermarket is in the shopping center alongside the entrance to Sofitel, about 500m up the road.
Buses hurtle along the main road to Pape’ete about every hour – more in the morning, far fewer in the afternoon, and none on Sundays. Otherwise to go to the capital, hitch a ride or organize a taxi (unmetered) from the friendly staff.
Pension de la Plage – The Hotel
All Tahiti Hotel Reviews
- Aimeo Lodge – Closed
- Fare D’hôtes Tutehau
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Hotel Kaveka
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- Hotel Sarah Nui
- Hotel Tahiti Nui
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Closed
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
- Moorea Beach Lodge
- Moorea Fare Miti – Closed
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel
- Royal Tahitien
- Sofitel Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort
- Tahiti Surf Beach Paradise
- Taoahere Beach House
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge