Taoahere Beach House – Cozy, quaint, and friendly, with a seaside setting and suburban feel.
Hard to find along a residential street near Hauru, this adorable cluster of bungalows is often understandably full. Dotted among lovely gardens, a couple of bungalows are on two levels and face the water, while the rest are angled for possible sea glimpses. And the traditional design throughout is charming: stone-walled bathrooms, bamboo walls, polished floorboards, and colorful art. No beach, but plenty of sand is spread around the grounds, and access to the blue-green waters for swimming and snorkeling is easy via steps. Other advantages include the laidback restaurant, free rental of bicycles and kayaks, and access to other water sports, including jet-skis. But it is about two kilometers from Hauru village, with a modest selection of shops and cafés.
Taoahere Beach House – The Basics
- Location: Poorly-signed in the suburban area of Tiahura on the northwest tip of Moorea Island. About 2 km from the center of Hauru village, 25 km from the airport, and 30 km from the ferry terminal for services to Tahiti.
- Guests: Most seem to be older couples, although it caters to everyone, including families.
- Beach: The lodge faces the sea, but there is no beach in front. Access to the calm waters for swimming and snorkeling is easy from the steps.
- Views: A couple of bungalows face the sea, but most overlook the lush gardens with possible glimpses of the water.
- Wi-Fi: Some limited data may be provided for free, but check when booking.
- Parking: There are a few places around the front gate, but probably not enough. Parking on the street outside, however, should be safe.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 40 56 13 30
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: taoaheremoorea.com
Taoahere Beach House – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key lodge.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
- Activities: Free rental of bicycles and kayaks. Also available: paddleboards, jet-skis, and snorkeling gear.
Taoahere Beach House – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Snack Bar has odd opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday for lunch, and Friday and Saturday for dinner. The inviting menu includes fresh salads, tasty burgers, plenty of desserts, and traditional food such as raw fish with coconut milk.
- Breakfast: Not included, but available for a reasonable cost.
- Room Service: Not expected in this sort of low-key lodge.
Taoahere Beach House – Rooms
- Room Types: Painapo Bungalow • Tiare Bungalow • Tipanier Bungalow
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The twin-level Painapo Bungalows offer wonderful sea views from extensive sundecks attached to the upstairs bedrooms.
- For families: 2 types of bungalows can comfortably accommodate families of 4 and feature kitchenettes.
Taoahere Beach House – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Almost hidden in a suburb, there is little choice within walking distance. Some places in Hauru village (2-3 km away) do offer free transfers.
- Holy Steak House – Directly opposite the entrance to the InterContinental, 1 km away. Up a slight hill for views and open all day. Also great for seafood and pizzas. Hearty serves, happy hours, takeaways, and free transfers.
- InterContinental Moorea – At the massive resort 1 km towards the village. Shell Restaurant offers dinner only, and a menu with Polynesian flavors. • Fare Hana Restaurant is casual and family-friendly for lunch and dinner. • Motu Iti Bar serves cocktails and wine in an al fresco setting.
- Beach Bar & Restaurant – At Hôtel Les Tipaniers about 1 km towards Hauru. Seaside and garden settings for seafood, pizza, homemade pasta, and ice cream. Live music on weekends and free transfers.
- Restaurant Tiahura – Claims to be the ‘best seafood restaurant in Moorea’. Vast menu includes regional specialties such as parrot fish and octopus. About 1.5 km towards the village.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Decent minimart across from the entrance to the InterContinental, about 1 km towards the village.
There is no public transport around Moorea Island. 4 or 5 buses run daily between Hauru village and the ferry terminal (but not the airport) to tie in with arrivals/departures. Ask the reception for details. To the village, walk, hitch a ride, or organize an unmetered taxi. For elsewhere, rent a car or motorbike.
Taoahere Beach House – The Hotel
All Tahiti Hotel Reviews
- Aimeo Lodge – Closed
- Fare D’hôtes Tutehau
- Hôtel Fenua Mata’i’oa
- Hotel Hibiscus
- Hotel Kaveka
- Hotel Les Tipaniers
- Hotel Sarah Nui
- Hotel Tahiti Nui
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Closed
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
- Manava Beach Resort & Spa Moorea
- Moorea Beach Lodge
- Moorea Fare Miti – Closed
- Moorea Island Beach Hotel
- Pension de la Plage
- Royal Tahitien
- Sofitel Tahiti Ia Ora Beach Resort
- Tahiti Surf Beach Paradise
- Te Ora Hau Ecolodge