Home > Taj Club House Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Taj Club House – Ticks all the boxes: modern, opulent, convenient, quiet, and spacious.
The square design of glass resembles an office block, but it’s certainly more elegant inside – from the marble-floor lobby to the swish bistros and bars. The overall design is contemporary, evidenced by the art on the walls of the corridors and rooms. The suites are even more modish, featuring a semi-separate living area with a divider that has two TVs. Especially inviting is the rooftop pool surrounded by a wooden deck and overlooked by the enormous fitness center. The Club House is also more appealing than most because it’s not on a main road, but along a dead-end lane and walkable to a world-class mall (with cinema complex and games arcade) and metro station (with direct links to the airport, bus/train stations, and downtown).
Taj Club House – The Location
- Address: Impossible to miss down the aptly-named Club House Road in the inner southern suburbs.
- Area: Along a tranquil dead-end lane and about 100m from the main road, Anna Salai (Mount Road). A side entrance for those on foot faces Woods Road, which is lined with shops and places to eat. Busy area with much roadworks and construction as it becomes more developed. Less than 500m from an excellent mall (see later).
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 35-45 minutes (15km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Taj Club House – The Basics
- Guests: Primarily a business hotel. Those on holiday are more likely to stay at the historic sister hotel, Taj Connemara, only 300m away.
- Views: A few recently-built high-rises and a few more on the way nearby, so street views can be obstructed. Hence, the higher the room, the better.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The Presidential Suites feature jacuzzis.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 6631 3131
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tajhotels.com
Taj Club House – Amenities
- Pool: Fantastic pool on the rooftop. Plenty of sunbeds but not much shade. Wooden deck adds to the appeal, and café/bar alongside.
- Spa: As swanky and spacious as imagined, the Jiva Spa offers a range of signature treatments using traditional methods. Yoga and meditation available.
- Fitness Center: Huge, with multiple copies of all the latest equipment. Faces the pool and open 24 hours. Personal trainers available.
- Other Facilities: Business Center (24 hours). Money-changing. Laundry. Travel desk.
Taj Club House – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Beyond Indus – Upmarket, for traditional cuisine from across India with modern influences. • Kefi – Mediterranean cuisine and classy Greek-themed décor inside or al fresco seating on the rooftop for sunsets, views, and breezes. Dinner only. • Rooftop Alfresco – The name says it all. Alongside the pool for light meals and snacks, especially lovely at sunset. • Club House – Simply named but beautifully decorated. Open 24 hours for contemporary Asian cuisine. Also, buffets at lunch and dinner and live music on most nights. • Brew – Wide range of coffee and teas in a chic and airy setting. Snacks available. • The Deli – Pastry shop at the lobby level for sandwiches and chocolate treats. • Blend – Lounge bar serving imported wines and spirits. Turns into a trendy nightclub on weekends. Signature cocktails and tapas all day/evening.
- Breakfast: Not normally included but can be, depending on the room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Taj Club House – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Premium Rooms • Executive Suites • Deluxe Suites • Presidential Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Some smoking rooms may be available. Check when booking.
- Best Room: Incredibly, the Presidential Suites are about ten times larger than the standard rooms. Separate living/dining area, second bedroom, and jacuzzi – even a private bar, butler, and gym.
- For Families: Deluxe and Premium rooms can easily accommodate 3 or even 4 people, and suites are ideal for families. Presidential Suites have 2 bedrooms.
Taj Club House – Local Transport
- Walking: Roadworks throughout 2019 and beyond make walking less pleasant, but sidewalks will be built. Vibrant area, if a little chaotic, along the side street (Woods Road), and fabulous mall less than 500m away.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – LIC – is about 500m from the hotel. 6-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Taj Club House – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Hotel Sennthur – Quick, tasty, and affordable vegetarian food at the corner of the main road and lane to the hotel. 1-minute walk (50m).
- Taj Connemara – Worth visiting the sister hotel if only to admire the gardens and colonial-era setting. Also offers a number of fabulous choices including: Raintree (exquisite Indian cuisine and pleasant garden setting), The Lady Connemara Bar & Lounge (gorgeous colonial-style setting for cocktails and afternoon teas), and The Verandah (casual bistro, poolside, and open 24 hours). The Connemara is just over the main road, 300m away. 4-minute walk.
- Most guests will probably head to the fantastic Express Avenue mall (see below). It offers familiar outlets, such as Subway, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Starbucks, as well as numerous atractive cafés and restaurants, such as Chili’s American Grill and Cafe Coffee Day. And the food court is huge. 5-minute walk (350m).
- The hotel is less than 500m from the world-class Express Avenue mall. Simply head south down Woods Road from the side entrance to the hotel. Huge range of bistros and boutiques over 5 levels, as well as one of India’s largest games arcades and a cinema complex that shows western films, too. Also, a few handicraft stores along the main road, just around the corner from the hotel. 5-minute walk.
Taj Club House – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels
- Hyatt Regency Chennai
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre
- The Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers Chennai
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai