Home > Taj Mahal Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – So large, sumptuous, and historic, but a little dated.
Soaring above the colonial-era residences of leafy New Delhi, this iconic hotel was one of the first of its kind in the Indian capital but now looks a little old-fashioned. However, it still offers a lovable charm, from the traditionally-dressed doorman to the plush lobby packed with fascinating Indian-style decorations. Rooms are airy and luxurious and feature more reminders of the British Raj era than most rivals. The pool is large and shady, while the underground gym and spa are extensive and well-equipped. Another advantage is that it’s within a short stroll of the city’s finest selection of shops, cafés, and bars at Khan Market.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – The Location
- Address: Set back more than 100m from the main thoroughfare, Shahjahan Road, in the inner southern suburbs.
- Area: In New Delhi, built as the Indian capital by British colonialists. Wide, clean, and shady streets, and plenty of facilities in the nearby Khan Market area.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Khan Market station (550m from the hotel, 7-minute walk). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30-45 minutes (18km).
- Handy to: Khan Market.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – The Basics
- Guests: Seems to cater mostly for business people, but the old-world charm does attract many older foreign tourists.
- Views: With no other high-rises nearby, views of the leafy streets are marvellous.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected or provided at such a historic inner-city hotel in Delhi.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 6656 6162
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tajhotels.com
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is substantial. Colonial-era appeal with some natural shade and plenty of lounge chairs.
- Spa: A long corridor alongside the pool leads to extraordinary facilities, including steam rooms, saunas, jacuzzi, and plunge pools.
- Fitness Center: Next to the spa, Fitness at Jiva Spa is well-equipped and very spacious. Open 24 hours. Dedicated yoga section.
- Facilities: Boutiques.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Machan – Open 24 hours for a wide range of cuisines and buffet breakfast. Refined décor for a casual eatery. • House of Ming – Authentic Chinese and one of the finest in Delhi. • Varq – Contemporary Indian in a chic setting. Fascinating decorations. • Wasabi by Morimoto – Award-winning and modern Japanese cuisine. Bright décor. • Emperor Lounge – All-day lounge for tea/coffee. Also popular for finger food and desserts. • The Grill Room – Focuses on grilled meats and French cuisine. On the rooftop, providing some of Delhi’s finest views. Extended wine list. Dinner only.
- Bar: Rick’s – Fashionable bar/lounge open from late afternoon until past midnight.
- Breakfast: The more expensive rooms include breakfast.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms City View • Luxury Rooms City View • Taj Club Rooms City View • Executive Suites Pool View • Luxury Suites • Grand Presidential Suite (1 only)
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms, but is not permitted in public areas.
- Best Room: The 1-off Grand Presidential Suite is truly massive and swish. Extras rarely (or ever) found at other Delhi hotels include a vanity room, pantry, workout area, dining room, and library.
- For Families: Most rooms can easily fit families of 4.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – Local Transport
- Walking: With footpaths mostly unblocked, it’s a nicer area for walking than most, and Khan Market (see below) is close by.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is at Khan Market, only 550m away. 7-minute walk.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Best arranged through the hotel. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Khan Market (see below) is the only option, and thankfully, it provides the finest selection in New Delhi. Along a back lane are:
- L’opera – Very tempting patisserie for cakes, sandwiches, and coffee. 12-minute walk (900m).
- Punjab Grill – Friendly, good value, and authentic food. 12-minute walk (900m).
- The Beer Café – Wine, beer, tapas, and Western food. Prominent corner position with upstairs viewing. 12-minute walk (1km).
And in a corner cluster within about 20m of each other are:
- Smokey’s BBQ & Grill – All sorts of meats grilled to perfection. Equally popular for draft beer and live music. 11-minute walk (850m).
- La Vie – Another restaurant with surprisingly chic décor. Renowned for pizza and other Italian dishes. Daily specials. 11-minute walk (850m).
- Wok in the Clouds – Authentic street-food in a very stylish setting. Also Thai, Chinese, and European food. Bar attached. 11-minute walk (900m).
Shops & Markets
- The Khan Market is an extended area of narrow lanes brimming with better-than-normal shops and restaurants, but there is no real street market as such. Now a major attraction, Khan Market is seedy in places but does offer some well-known outlets too, such as Starbucks and Subway. Follow the signs (which are rather confusing) from over the road, but if dark, always use an auto-rickshaw.12-minute walk (900m).
Taj Mahal, New Delhi – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions
- Andaz Delhi
- B Nineteen Luxury Hotel
- Holiday Inn New Delhi International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Delhi
- Ibis New Delhi Aerocity Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT New Delhi
- Le Méridien New Delhi
- The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- The Leela Palace New Delhi
- Lemon Tree Premier, Delhi Airport
- The Lodhi
- Lutyens Bungalow
- The Oberoi New Delhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Hotel Connaught Place
- Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai